Bringing new players to gccg

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
gollum51

I have discovered gccg only recently.
I had heard the usual comments about installation and playing not being user-friendly.

IMO, installation is fairly easy. Even learning to play was easy thanks to a nice guy who spent some time teaching me the basics (ok. I knew the MECCG rules).

I really enjoyed the few games I have played on gccg, but it is useful in building decks for real MECCG and as a reference tool to look for card text.
So I am now thinking: "how can I get more people to play on gccg".

My first thought was to introduce to my circle of players. But this is limited.
So I am now thinking that we could use tournaments and other events to introduce new players to gccg (and convince skeptics that you do not need much practice to play fluently).

What do you guys think?
Very practical question: would anyone be able to get access to internet from Castle Stahleck at the next Lure event in February (=> we could demionstrate the game to lot of European players there)?

Cheers,
Herve
marcos
Council Member

gollum51 wrote:I have discovered gccg only recently.
I had heard the usual comments about installation and playing not being user-friendly.

IMO, installation is fairly easy. Even learning to play was easy thanks to a nice guy who spent some time teaching me the basics (ok. I knew the MECCG rules).

I really enjoyed the few games I have played on gccg, but it is useful in building decks for real MECCG and as a reference tool to look for card text.
So I am now thinking: "how can I get more people to play on gccg".

My first thought was to introduce to my circle of players. But this is limited.
So I am now thinking that we could use tournaments and other events to introduce new players to gccg (and convince skeptics that you do not need much practice to play fluently).

What do you guys think?
Very practical question: would anyone be able to get access to internet from Castle Stahleck at the next Lure event in February (=> we could demionstrate the game to lot of European players there)?

Cheers,
Herve
well there already are some GCCG tourney, we have gccg championship, Nations cup, virtuals, etc... I only think that we should organize events more often to keep the attention of active players... BTW, argentinians and spanish just have a online tourney and i brought 3 new peeps to gccg, so i consider that a good begining...
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Hi gollum51,

good to see that there are people out there showing engagement for our great game.

Indeed it is easier to learn how to play online as most people think. 3 - 5 games and you get it.
would anyone be able to get access to internet from Castle Stahleck at the next Lure event in February (=> we could demionstrate the game to lot of European players there)?
Actually domse is planning a gccg tutorial at next Lure. Its not easy to install a server so one could play offline when youre not confident with Linux. But I am sure he will make it somehow. So everybody at Lure will be invited to watch or play tutorial games.

Greetz,
Martin
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
gollum51

Marcos,
Sorry I should have been clearer.
By "using tournaments", I meant using real-life MECCG tournaments where many players are gathered to demonstrate gccg.

Cheers
marcos
Council Member

gollum51 wrote:Marcos,
Sorry I should have been clearer.
By "using tournaments", I meant using real-life MECCG tournaments where many players are gathered to demonstrate gccg.

Cheers
ah, ok, but i still think we should have moreoften online tourneys, for all of us who cant go to real life events...
domse
Ex Council Member

Hey Herve!
As I learned the whole game on gccg I was asking the exact same questions! And it looks like at next lure there will be a gccg presentation with demo gaming and everything! I am working with wigy on it. Wolfgang doesnt know it yet, but I will tell him within the next days...
I hope with this presentation we can do away with the prejuidice gccg is complicated and no real fun gaming.
Still we should use this thread to think of other ways to reach people!
Smaug

Hi all,

you could as well not go online ???

Cheers

Heiner
domse
Ex Council Member

if you are talking of demonstrating gccg....
you dont have tables if you work offline. and that will pretty much be the interesting point!
Smaug

I mean now ;-), server is down, or?
marcos
Council Member

Smaug wrote:I mean now ;-), server is down, or?
yes, it is down, but wigy has a backup server, edit your metw.bat file to read like this:

@echo off
set HOME=C:
set USER=Windows
ccg_client.exe --server gccg.servebeer.com --user %USER% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 metw.xml
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

server is back up

mfg nicolai
marcos
Council Member

good to know
wlk

domse wrote:if you are talking of demonstrating gccg....
you dont have tables if you work offline. and that will pretty much be the interesting point!
Domse,

I can provide windows binaries for the server, then you can setup your own local server on your laptop and play alone without network, or even for real with several laptops if connected in a LAN.

Let me know if you are interested.
domse
Ex Council Member

Well i planned to use wigys linux stuff to set up a server in a 2 laptop network. But if you have that for Windows, that would be cool too and we could avoid the crossplatform network![/quote]

Return to “GCCG”