Display problem

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
Marric
Ex Council Member

Hi!

It may seem a silly problem, but i have it nevertheless...

I got a new display with FullHD resolution and changed to metw.bat file to "--geometry 1920x1080" to get the maximum benefit. But i found out that all cards look a little bit stretched and also the letters are a little bit to big to fit in the bottom line. The last thing is that the MP-area in the upper left corner is also a bit deranged (i think also letters too big are here the problem).

Can anyone help me out with this?

Yours,

Markus
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

what helps is instead of the geometry you can replace that by --full
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Beornd

higher resolution as basic is not supported - only stretched. the next version of gccg will do that und i hope it will come soon. :D
wlk

Upscaling using geometry won't give you decent results with such higher resolutions.

I am also using a 1900x1200 screen, and had the same requirement.
Few monthes ago, I added some option to the gccg engine to enable "oversized" design.

For example, I am using --design 1500x1050 right now.

BUT, take care that the extra claimed area is visible by you only, meaning that other (classic) players won't be able to see cards you move outside of the play table (the grey area).

The good thing is that the chat log is then outside of the table, and you can move your hand bellow the table. Also i am using the persistent zoom at the free extra right area.

Theorically, you could play on the whole area if the other players use the same resolution, but many players are still using laptop with max resolution of 1024x768, so for now we cannot increase the default design size.

Marric
Ex Council Member

First of all: thanks for your replies!

I tried using "--design 1500x1050", which works just like "--geometry 1500x1050" (at least I see the same result...) and after adding the "--full" option, i get the following error message:
I/O exception at Driver::Driver(bool): No suitable video mode found, needs 16bpp.
Is there anything i missed? Is there any list of the options which can be used in the ccg_client.exe...`?

Yours, Markus
Bruce
Ex Council Member

Now the whole world knows of my latest dumb mistake by deckbuilding. :cry: :oops:
wlk, why don't you ask us "say cheese" the next time you take a screenshot? I'll try to type some message full of philosophical content showing all the great profundity of my soul :lol:
wlk

Bruce wrote:Now the whole world knows of my latest dumb mistake by deckbuilding. :cry: :oops:
wlk, why don't you ask us "say cheese" the next time you take a screenshot? I'll try to type some message full of philosophical content showing all the great profundity of my soul :lol:
:D :D sorry dude, you were the only table in play when I joined.
wlk

Marric wrote:First of all: thanks for your replies!

I tried using "--design 1500x1050", which works just like "--geometry 1500x1050" (at least I see the same result...) and after adding the "--full" option, i get the following error message:
I/O exception at Driver::Driver(bool): No suitable video mode found, needs 16bpp.
Is there anything i missed? Is there any list of the options which can be used in the ccg_client.exe...`?

Yours, Markus
Try that one:
start %CLIENT% --design 1450x1050 --user %USER% metw.xml

Also please post your .\module_windows32\stdout.txt file (contains the program logs).
Marric
Ex Council Member

Ok, i did enter the "--design 1400x1050" option, which only gave the windowed version (i would like to have the fullscreen display)...

And here's the content of the stdout.txt file:
GCCG v0.9.2-beta Generic CCG Client (x86 Win32 build by Wlk Jan 11 2009)
(c) 2001-2009 Tommi Ronkainen
Security manager: allow read file: ./decks/*
Security manager: allow read file: ./graphics/*
Security manager: allow read file: ./sounds/*
Security manager: allow execute: ./scripts/*
Security manager: allow read file: ./scripts/*
Security manager: allow read file: E:\GCCG/.gccg/*
Security manager: allow execute: E:\GCCG/.gccg/init
Security manager: allow write file: ./vardump
Security manager: allow open dir: ./scripts
Loading ./xml/metw.xml
Security manager: allow open dir: ./scripts/Metw
Security manager: allow open dir: ./decks/Metw
Security manager: allow open dir: ./decks/Metw/*
Security manager: allow open dir: E:\GCCG/.gccg/Metw/import
Security manager: allow open dir: E:\GCCG/.gccg/Metw/import/*
Security manager: allow open dir: E:\GCCG/.gccg/Metw/export
Security manager: allow open dir: E:\GCCG/.gccg/Metw/export/*
Security manager: allow write file: E:\GCCG/.gccg/Metw/*
Security manager: allow connect: */0
Loading ./xml/Metw/metw_basecards.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/wizards.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/dragons.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/dark_minions.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/lidless_eye.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/against_shadow.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/white_hand.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/balrog.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/promo.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/promo_de.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/vc1.xml
Loading ./xml/Metw/firstborn.xml
Loading ./scripts/client.triggers
Calling "init" ""
Initializing graphics driver: resolution 1450x1050
Graphics initialized:
Driver = windib
Fullscreen = No
Physical resolution = 1450x1050
HW Available = No
HW Video memory = 0MB
HW Surface = No
BPP = 32
Calling "init" "client"
Calling "init" "game"
Calling "exit" ""
wlk

Indeed, there is a limitation (likely a driver limit) when combining fullscreen with resolution greater than 1280x1024.

You can still use --design 1280x1024 --full but otherwise you must use windowed mode.

I might have a look at the driver code to check if it can be passed through.

I'd still recommend using --design 1900x1200 if you want a pseudo fullscreen, but you will have a lot a wasted space...
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Bruce wrote:Now the whole world knows of my latest dumb mistake by deckbuilding. :cry: :oops:
edit (of the chat): I liked your deck as well. Keep it going! :lol:
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Mordakai
Council Member

Ok, here is a question for all of you, GCCG players:

Am I the only one that feels that the default (1024x768) screen resolution for the game is too small? I understand that when the game started, the screens were not too big, but nowadays I think there is room for everyone to increase that size.

Looking at laptops (usually with smaller screens), I think 1366x768 is a resolution that everyone can reach. That would allow us to play in, let's say, 1300x700, keeping a window which almost fits the entire screen, and also giving us a lot more room to play our cards. Here is a screenshot with 1300x700 client:

Of course, this would need that everyone update his/her client to avoid missing part of the table, but I think it's an effort worth to take. What do you say?
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

But . . . the tradition! Next thing you know, the CoE will issue more errata! :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

I am all for it, also we issue, if People bring up cases. We are just Not rewriting the entire game
wlk

Mordakai wrote:Ok, here is a question for all of you, GCCG players:

Am I the only one that feels that the default (1024x768) screen resolution for the game is too small? I understand that when the game started, the screens were not too big, but nowadays I think there is room for everyone to increase that size.

Looking at laptops (usually with smaller screens), I think 1366x768 is a resolution that everyone can reach. That would allow us to play in, let's say, 1300x700, keeping a window which almost fits the entire screen, and also giving us a lot more room to play our cards. Here is a screenshot with 1300x700 client:

Of course, this would need that everyone update his/her client to avoid missing part of the table, but I think it's an effort worth to take. What do you say?
Some people still uses small resolutions, and you have to adjust to the lowest common denominator, since they might just peek at your game (even if you and your mate are using full HD res).
I tried in the past to increase the default resolution, but this raised many complains.
That was in the previous decade though :)
Also keep in mind that gccg is (was?) not limited to METW.

Return to “GCCG”