Shadowfax

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'd rather you have to draw into it, like the majority of cards/combos in the game. Token of Goodwill is a way to find Shadowfax quickly and the Windlord Found Me is a way to get Gandalf quickly.
marcos
Council Member

Jambo wrote:As we discussed on GCCG, that's actually better than the current proposal. ;)

There's no sideboard to hand feature.

Frodo did, however, later point out that the current sideboard to play deck is a bit redundant. If it's very easy to recall from discard, you would really want Shadowfax to be in you play deck from the start, not in sideboard. So we could remove that.

Do people really think automatic draw from play deck is a good idea?
like it
Nerdmeetsyou

Let us stay with the current habits of the game!

We are not going to make this a second star wars, where every card fetches another card... and the skill of deckbuilding is to know which cards interact the best, and which are the best search engines for the right cards...*G*
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I proposed only discard to hand, not playdeck, because then you can fetch him easily after being sacrificed and you don't have to blow the smoke. Playdeck to hand is bit too easy. Wether you sideboard it or draw it is then personal choice. Of course, can also make line like: consider Shadowfax also an item. that way he goes off to side if Gandi is sacrificed. (yet he can be stolen with Pickpocket or Article Missing :D )
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I'm on the fence about from the playdeck. At first I didn't like it, because it made the card too Star-Warsy, like Boder said. But then I realized that this was a useful intention because the card is only worth 1 MP and, like Balin said, is very difficult to get out (and you don't get much use out of him unless you get him out early!). So then I thought, well, maybe he can be the sort of complement to Rad's bird--harder to play, but quicker to get in hand and more usable in a game. But I admit, part of me still doesn't like the downloading capability.

Discard to hand is fine because there's no way this will ever work unless Sacrifice happens.

I just thought of another option that is not downloading but helps speeds things a little. I'm not attached to it, but maybe you guys will think it's good and creative: "Alternatively, place him under Gandalf's control if Gandalf plays a diplomat card."

! There are two reasons why this is cool: A) it allows for faster play of Shadowfax by having Gandalf do something thematic--be a Diplomat!--which is precisely what earned him Shadowfax to begin with, plus there's an awesome SURPRISE factor with having this ally suddenly pop up under Gandalf B) it allows for an indirect form of "downloading" Shadowfax if the player actually pulls off a Token of Goodwill attempt on Gandalf, 'cause then you can grab Shadowfax from playdeck, and immediately put him into play!

Now I just explained my thinking, I'm actually thinking this is a good idea!
And new playability options is hardly a brand-new meccg mechanic.

Frodo

[/b]
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

You mean play Old Friendship at Carn Dum, up arrives Fax? What's a diplomat card, diplomat only, or also Flatter, Ruse?

Hmm, getting from sideboard via discard isn't that hard, is it? it's a tap away. Fax is an ally, the 1 mp is not really relevant, it's a more difficult mp source, you can play him easily, and he has good abilities, so I think he doesn't need to be around in turn 2 per se...

How about, if Gandalf influences a faction at free/border, may play Fax from deck and need not tap to do so? or maybe only man factions?
This would suggest Fax lives everywhere though, not very thematic, but Fax arriving at Mount Doom just being the Old Friend to Frodo seems bit strange too.

Or of course, Gandalf may play Here There or Yonder to play Fax from deck instantly. :D
Or, play Fax on Gandi from deck if you play Horses on his company.
Or, play Fax on Gandi from deck if he splits from company and travels to site alone or with only one or two Hobbits.
Or, tap a character with homesite Edoras in Gandalfs company and play Fax from deck. (why did I almost write: exert a character?! :lol: )
Or, you may play Fax on Gandalf from deck if opponent plays River on his company: that will teach him! (in fact Fax left Gandalf when terrain became very rugged in Eriador, so much for the ranger :? )

This concludes Sunday morning frivolities. With Fax, you can go everywhere.
Jambo

Frodo wrote:Discard to hand is fine because there's no way this will ever work unless Sacrifice happens.
That's not quite true. If you draw SF before Gandalf then you can freely discard SF in the knowledge that you can get him back immediately when Gandalf is played. Therefore it's quite good to save hand clog.
Thorsten wrote:Hmm, getting from sideboard via discard isn't that hard, is it? it's a tap away. Fax is an ally, the 1 mp is not really relevant, it's a more difficult mp source, you can play him easily, and he has good abilities, so I think he doesn't need to be around in turn 2 per se...
You can only do this when your wizard is in play and by that time the opportunity to utilise the discard to hand clause when Gandalf comes into play has passed.

Even Radagast's Black Bird, which is often viewed as being a rather sick way to get a MP, requires you to draw into the card. That said, giving Gandalf the Ranger skill is only of use if he can draw into SF early enough....
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

ah, thought we made it bring to hand if Gandalf is in play.
Well, Shadowfax is not only for the ranger function. (anyway, nobody uses the Bird for his faction influencing). Hence the play Fax if opponent plays river. Ok you can't kill Snufflers or play Ford or whatever, but it protects you from the nasty consequences of not having a ranger. :wink:
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Okay, no surprise alternate playability lines, then.

Final version on "Post tournament card corrections" topic.

Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well the suggestions were done with good humour, but not as a joke. I rather like the Gandalf gets Fax alone or with hobbits ability. But, if others don't....
is there a deadline of some sorts at work now?
marcos
Council Member

Or of course, Gandalf may play Here There or Yonder to play Fax from deck instantly.
Or, play Fax on Gandi from deck if you play Horses on his company.
Or, play Fax on Gandi from deck if he splits from company and travels to site alone or with only one or two Hobbits.
Or, tap a character with homesite Edoras in Gandalfs company and play Fax from deck. (why did I almost write: exert a character?! )
Or, you may play Fax on Gandalf from deck if opponent plays River on his company: that will teach him! (in fact Fax left Gandalf when terrain became very rugged in Eriador, so much for the ranger )
i like this ones seriously;
Or, you may play Fax on Gandalf from deck if opponent plays River on his company
Balin
Ex Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Or of course, Gandalf may play Here There or Yonder to play Fax from deck instantly. :D
I like this one, though I think it's better to keep the final version on "Post tournament card corrections" topic, as it is now. Otherwise we will never make an end! :wink:
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!

Return to “Development”