The Witch-king Unleashed - suggestion

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Jambo

Carrying on from Ringbearer's comment and my alternative suggestion:

The Witch-king Unleashed V:
Short event
Playable on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith. You may take Fiery Blade or Morgul Blade from the sideboard or discard pile to your hand.
Alternatively, playable during the organisation phase on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith. You may take one Ringwraith character from the sideboard or discard pile to your hand.

The Witch-king's main ability is RW followers, let's help and encourage it. The Witch-king was fabled for the morgul knife and the fiery blade, let's go with it.

This boosts an active Witch-king to make the most of his high body and natural abilites.

Edited to cover Marcos' and Boder's comments.
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I agree with this one actually... it also helps They Ride Together(V)
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
marcos
Council Member

it has my blessing too, the 2 previous ones (original and virtual) really sucks...
marcos
Council Member

we will have to be very explicit with where is this card playable, other way, it will cause confusion...

you know... bringing characters into play with special abilities is always a matter of confusion...
Nerdmeetsyou

limit the bringing of character into play... to the organisation phase at a haven...
but everything else is perfekt!!!

Why haven't i thought of that...*G*
definitly my vote!
Jambo

Edited to cover both your points. Taking the RW to hand means the RW is played based solely on the Witch-king's ability.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Sounds good. I tried some decks with the site-untapping ability and it still proved unwieldy.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I was feeling a little resistant to changing the witch-king unleashed until I read the comment about how many TURNS it took to use his ability at Carn Dum… then I did some quick math and realized, Wow! He’s right; this text is not that useful. It DID give me ideas for a future virtualized Witch-King himself that would represent the “old” Witch-King of Angmar who could perhaps have built-into him the prowess ability that the current WKU (V) describes, AND who could come into play at Carn Dum.

I like the new WKU (V) and agree it’s an improvement. Some comments: I don’t think the Blades should be fished from the sideboard directly. I’d say just write “discard pile,” but another option is to write “play deck”, if we think that the resource player should be forced to stuff his deck with these cards, at least. I could go either way and don’t mind either being immediately adapted.

But I also thought it would be nice if there was some other tiny ability that the card grabbed or did. I looked at just about every minion resource and found nothing thematic… then I did!

What about:

Short event
Playable on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith. You may take Fiery Blade or Morgul Blade from the discard pile to your hand.
Alternatively, playable during the organisation phase on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith. You may take one Ringwraith character from the sideboard or discard pile to your hand. **The Iron Crown affects the Witch-King this turn**.

This is a very tiny addition and would give the resource player another cool theme to aim for if he wants to bother. So the power of the leadership crown is only activated if he grabs a follower.

By the way, the American English spelling would be “organization.”

Frodo
Jambo

Great idea Joe! I like!

One thing's that not been made apparent yet, is whether We Have Come to Kill works for RW follwers yet. On the basis that it potentially can, to ensure this card wouldn't be dwarfed by it, here's the suggestion:

Short event
Playable on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith. You may take Fiery Blade or Morgul Blade from the discard pile to your hand.
Alternatively, playable on The Witch-king as your Ringwraith at any Ruins & Lairs, Shadow-hold, Dark-hold or Darkhaven. You may take a Ringwraith from the sideboard or discard pile and immediately play it as a Ringwraith follower. Additionally, The Iron Crown affects The Witch-king this turn.

Voila. This way, he can make use of his homesite should he choose, and make use of bringing RW followers in at Carn Dum which appears otherwise illegal for RWs save Uvatha. One can also use this card to simulate a Weathertop-esque RW gathering. This would still not be possible for a WK in Fell Rider mode.
Last edited by Jambo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerdmeetsyou

maybe make some other card that enables him to use the iron cron permanently???
what do you think?
Jambo

BoderHamster wrote:maybe make some other card that enables him to use the iron cron permanently???
what do you think?
It's probably not necessary Boder, since I presume you'll play this on the turn you want to attempt to influence something, e.g. a Dragon, or opponent's character. Plus I like how this runs with the book where the WK only revealed his true self in rare occurrences.
Nerdmeetsyou

that's true... it realy sticks more to the flavour...
so this is METW... everthing should stick to it's flavour...*G*
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Wow, Jambo--I like the weathertop simulation and thought of it before you spelled it out!

Okay, let's redo this text immediately, if Wiggy doesn't mind.

Frodo
marcos
Council Member

about unleashed cards, does the RW's name needs to be italizaced?

i realized that none of them is italic... I guess we need to make them all over again with italics, just take a look at Ren unleashed and you will find that his text has italics... damn... :lol:
marcos
Council Member

marcos wrote:about unleashed cards, does the RW's name needs to be italizaced?

i realized that none of them is italic... I guess we need to make them all over again with italics, just take a look at Ren unleashed and you will find that his text has italics... damn... :lol:
this issue is already fixed :)

now, about this card, it sounds very good when it comes to theory, but when it comes to deckbuilding, i can't figure a deck that don't uses 3 forced march/ leg it double quick... I guess we need some new doable quests for minions...

Return to “Development”