WTB METW Starter Set

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
hanotsri

Hi,

I am starting to dabble in the game again. I'd like to purchase the METW Starter Set. I am in the US. Let me know if you have one that is reasonably priced.

Thanks!

Michael
CDavis7M

Hey Michael,

Welcome back to Middle-earth! I don't have a Starter Set for sale but I wanted to let you know that it is more for collectors and less for players. I see them going on ebay occasionally for $40 used/missing cards to $80 or more for good condition. The decks are good to demo the game first-time player because they are preconstructed with simple points, fun combat cards, and a few combos. But they are very simplistic. Much more simplistic than any of the official preconstructed "challenge deck."

If you just want to collect the starter set then no problem, it's kind of neat. But if you want to dabble in the game then I think there are better routes. Even "The Wizards" set has 5 different "fixed" packs with a lot of very good cards in there. And then there are the 5 hero and 5 ringwraith challenge decks, also with a lot of good cards.

Do you have any cards at all? What is your experience in playing this game?
hanotsri

Hey Michael,

Welcome back to Middle-earth! I don't have a Starter Set for sale but I wanted to let you know that it is more for collectors and less for players. I see them going on ebay occasionally for $40 used/missing cards to $80 or more for good condition. The decks are good to demo the game first-time player because they are preconstructed with simple points, fun combat cards, and a few combos. But they are very simplistic. Much more simplistic than any of the official preconstructed "challenge deck."

If you just want to collect the starter set then no problem, it's kind of neat. But if you want to dabble in the game then I think there are better routes. Even "The Wizards" set has 5 different "fixed" packs with a lot of very good cards in there. And then there are the 5 hero and 5 ringwraith challenge decks, also with a lot of good cards.

Do you have any cards at all? What is your experience in playing this game?
Hi there! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I wouldn't be called a seasoned player by any remote stretch. I played in the 90s with just the Wizards and I am going to be honest, I very likely played it wrong...so much so that I am pretty much starting from scratch.

I picked up the Challenge Decks a couple of years ago, but got pretty frustrated quickly and sold them thinking I'd never be able to grasp it (which is odd because the other game I play is Decipher's Star Wars CCG which is in of itself pretty complex)

I started reading my son The Hobbit (he's seven years old) the other week and it reinvigorated my desire to try and play this game. I very likely would be playing solo or perhaps in an Arda-type fashion (if I can find some other gamers to play). I am keen on checking out cardnum. I am hoping someone can help me learn the game on there.

Anyhow, since I view myself as practically a brand-new player, I figured I'd start with that set. I likely will be purchasing cards again in the near future. I figure one of each of the five Wizards and Lidless Eye fixed packs would be a good start along with the Challenge Decks again. I'll then likely just tackle things set-by-set starting the Commons / Uncommons from the sets. Does that seem like a reasonable way of pursuing it?

Any advice would be helpful.
tyhjaarpa

I think best way to start is to buy one or few the wizards starter decks and maybe couple boosters and familiarize the rules with them and build up from there. You can buy quite a bit more that way compared to starter set. Sometimes it is worth to look for some lot sales as well but with those you pretty much need to know what to look for to get best value as some of them are quite a bit over priced.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
CDavis7M

Where in the US are you?

Too bad you sold your challenge decks. Those are pretty nice but I agree that they are a bit complicated for a beginner. I also think it's best to start with ME The Wizards Starter Decks (not the set) and maybe a few booster packs of The Wizards or The Dragons. Even better if you can find someones collection sold as a lot. The fixed packs in the METW starter decks include many of the best characters in the game and a few great factions. And most of the best items are uncommons so it's not that hard to get some fun decks going. You can see the 5 different starter deck fixed packs here: play. http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/ ... _fixed.pdf

Also, I posted the abbreviated rules that come in the starter deck here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4029

I would read these a couple time with the cards in front of you and then test the game out using the solitaire rules from the METW rulesbook in the starter deck.

Once you have some familiarity from reading the rules you can go over to https://cardnum.net/ and someone there can help teach you the game better. Unfortunately you will also have to learn the CardNum user interface, but it's not bad.
hanotsri

I am in Madison, WI.

Looks like Gwaihir still has some stuff. I'll need to sell a few things, but I'll probably end up picking up from him:

1 of each The Wizards fixed pack
1 of each Lidless Eye fixed pack
The Challenge Decks
Some dice

...after I get those, I'll shoot for a CUC set of The Wizards.
CDavis7M

That's not a bad idea. But I would stick to the hero/wizard cards at first. They are a bit less complicated.

If you realize later that you need more of some METW commons post back up here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

hanotsri wrote:I am in Madison, WI.

Looks like Gwaihir still has some stuff. I'll need to sell a few things, but I'll probably end up picking up from him:

1 of each The Wizards fixed pack
1 of each Lidless Eye fixed pack
The Challenge Decks
Some dice

...after I get those, I'll shoot for a CUC set of The Wizards.
Welcome back to MeCCG!

Chris has already provided a lot of useful info for you.

My opinion:

- Don’t bother with the Starter set.
- I recommend a few hero challenge decks to get going. It’s harder to build your own deck when you don’t know what you’re doing.
- After reading the rules book, post to our rules forum with any questions and you will get quick answers to help you understand the game so you don’t get frustrated.

I can set you up with cards to get started. I have all of the Challenge Decks if you want to purchase the whole set of 10. Or I can sell you just a few individual decks. I can also customize your purchase to include fixed cards/packs or anything else you want to get going. Shoot me a Private Message here on the forum. I’m also in the US for quick, cheap shipping.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Marketplace”