Stormcrow and permanent-events playing history

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Stormcrow wrote:The direct influence of each Wizard is reduced by 2 (by 4 if Doors of Night is in play). Discard all resource permanent-events that have been played on each company with a Wizard (i.e., on the company as a whole, not individual characters, e.g., Fellowship). No such cards may be played on each Wizard's company. Discard this card when any play deck is exhausted. Cannot be duplicated.
I know that this may be perceived as a splitting hairs. And in fact it is.
But from time to time the arguments like tense used in some phrase are arisen (and some of them make a sense IMO).

Literally "Discard all resource permanent-events that have been played on each company with a Wizard" does not check for current presence of Wizard in given company. It checks whether a Wizard was in company at time of playing of the resource permanent-events. Moreover the check may be positive for cards that are currently on other object but have been played on company with a Wizard (e.g. Open to the Summons).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

I agree with e.g. Open to the Summons. Plausibly intended?

I think the parsing of "with" is ambiguous about tense in this case, but I agree that your above parsing is a valid option. Presumably a present "with" is intended?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am
Stormcrow wrote:The direct influence of each Wizard is reduced by 2 (by 4 if Doors of Night is in play). Discard all resource permanent-events that have been played on each company with a Wizard (i.e., on the company as a whole, not individual characters, e.g., Fellowship). No such cards may be played on each Wizard's company. Discard this card when any play deck is exhausted. Cannot be duplicated.
Literally "Discard all resource permanent-events that have been played on each company with a Wizard" does not check for current presence of Wizard in given company. It checks whether a Wizard was in company at time of playing of the resource permanent-events.
I don't interpret the card this way. Especially considering the effect of "No such cards may be played on each Wizard's company" and the complexity of actually determining the interpretation above.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 am Plausibly intended?
Needlessly complicated.

"The direct influence of each Wizard is reduced by 2 (by 4 if Doors of Night is in play). Discard all resource permanent-events on each company with a Wizard (i.e., on the company as a whole, not individual characters, e.g., Fellowship). No such cards may be played on each Wizard's company. Discard this card when any play deck is exhausted. Cannot be duplicated."

probably better reflects intentions of authors.
Candidate for errata.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”