Reversion of Site Types

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

In is not entirely clear what happens after a card leaves play which forces a player to use the opposite alignment version of certain sites. Therefore, I propose the following Rule Erratum to The White Hand rules insert:

Change This:
The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). When this happens, immediately exchange any affected site cards
already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type.
To This:
The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). When this happens, immediately exchange any affected site cards
already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type. If such a card is subsequently removed from active play, immediately revert any affected site cards back to their original versions.
(changes in bold)

Reference Topic: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 551#p28978
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Or:

"The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type. If such a card is subsequently removed from active play, immediately revert any affected site cards back to their original versions."
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 am Or:

"The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type. If such a card is subsequently removed from active play, immediately revert any affected site cards back to their original versions."
Can you give a clear example that illustrates the difference between "removed from play" and "removed from active play"?

Thanks
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

A card removed from play by Aware of their Ways goes to out-of-play pile.
The card has not been removed from active play by Aware of their Ways, because at the moment it was not on play surface.

Heart Grown Cold discarded by Marvels Told is considered removed from active play. Shifter of Hues returned to hand is considered removed from active play.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Okay thank you. You are right, it is possible to “remove a card from play” that is not currently on the playing surface, so I like your addition of the “active” qualifier.

I have amended my OP proposal to include this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theo

Can I suggest the addition of something like "if necessary according to remaining effects or Fallen-Wizard rules"? If two such cards are in play simultaneously and one is removed, I don't think the site types should revert. If hypothetical card that forced R&L to be minion were played when a company was using a hero R&L, I don't think site type should revert (but could understand others arguing differently on that one).
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

@ Theo -

I'm not sure I'm completely clear on what you're saying. Are you saying, for example, that if 2 copies of Heart Grown Cold are in play, that simply removing the original copy will not make sites revert back?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type. If such a card is subsequently removed from active play, immediately exchange any affected site cards already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type."

This eliminates the words "back" and "revert". Which site cards are affected when "such a card is subsequently removed from active play" depends also on presence of other such cards in play.
Theo

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:16 am Are you saying, for example, that if 2 copies of Heart Grown Cold are in play, that simply removing the original copy will not make sites revert back?
I'm saying I think site alignments should be swapped if and only if the current combination of effects requires a different site alignment than what is currently in play. The original proposal wording would revert the site back when one of two in-play Heart Grown Colds is removed, even though there is a remaining Heart Grown Cold that prevents that alignment, and doesn't speak to what action to take to resolve this illegal state since there is no new card play that changes the type of sites that your companies may use.

New version seems better but still fragile. I could see it being argued that only the first Heart Grown Cold had a chance to change the type of sites that your companies may use. Perhaps the culprit is really that this rule is framed only with "The play of certain cards", rather than "The effects of certain cards". Refocusing on effects seems to resolve more naturally; the first Heart Grown Cold might cause the site to revert, but then an existing second Heart Grown Cold would mandate an immediate re-exchange. Thoughts?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Effects of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). When the effects and/or their additional conditions appear or disappear in play, immediately exchange any affected site cards already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 am Effects of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g. Plotting
Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). When the effects and/or their additional conditions appear or disappear in play, immediately exchange any affected site cards already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type.
I think Theo raised an important point. This proposal by Konrad seems to capture the issues discussed. I'm not quite sure of the "their additional conditions" or the "appear or disappear" language but I can't think of an alternative at the moment. I think the idea here is to capture the conditional "if" effects. Like, if the FW has a threshold amount of SP, then they use minion sites for [-me_fh-] .
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

This submission will be included in this year's ARV.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this.
Here is an updated attempt at the language.... please let me know what you guys think:

{Rules Erratum}
Change This:
already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type.
To This:
Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). Any time such an effect is created, immediately exchange any affected site cards already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type. Any time there is no longer an effect in play causing such an altered state, immediately revert any affected site cards back to their original versions.
(changes in bold)
CDavis7M

Yes. That's consistent with the Rulings that the game state is what matters, not individual cards coming in and out of play.
>>>7) *Will of Sauron* is in play. During the m/h phase Marvels Told is
>>>targetted against it, in response another Will of Sauron is played.
>(legal because the first WoS is targeted for discard, right?)
>>> When the initial Will of Sauron is discarded do all hazard long-events
>get
>>>discarded (including the second WoS) with it even though the second Will
>of
>>>Sauron is in play?
>
>>No.
>
>I realize the second WoS would not be discarded since WoS is a
>permanent-event, (initially I was thinking it was a long-event), but why
>wouldn't all long-events be discarded along with the first WoS, since by
>its text "when this card is discarded, all hazard long-events are
>discarded" ?
It's just like Doors of Night. It's not the discard of a particular
card that discards other cards, it's the change in the game state
from Will of Sauron to not WoS.
Theo

[-me_wh-] (high five?)
CDavis7M

ICE Digest 122 - August 18, 1998" wrote: Question:
When *Heart Grown Cold* enters play do all site cards currently being used by affected FW players immediately transform into their minon versions (including those used by the FW's agents revealed or unrevealed) or are only newly played site cards affected by HGC?

Answer:
From the White Hand rules:

The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies
may use (e.g. Plotting Ruin, HEART GROWN COLD, etc.). When this happens,
immediately excange any affected site cards already in play with the
corresponding site cards of the proper type.

----------

Question:
When HGC is removed from play do all affected site cards instantaneously transform back into their hero versions?

Answer:
Yes. See above.
If HGC is removed from play (meaning no other HGC is in play) then the sites change instantaneously.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”