Ballot Item # 12 - Deep Mines {erratum}

Cast your votes here for the 2018 Annual Rules Vote.

Are you in favor of issuing the erratum described below?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 48
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

INFORMATION
Deep Mines
A company may move to this site only from one of your protected Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ] and only if you have more than 6 stage points. The protected Wizardhaven is the surface site for Deep Mines (i.e., the sites are adjacent and the movement roll required to move between them is 0). You receive the three stage points if any of your companies are at the site. May be duplicated in location deck. Cannot be duplicated on a given Wizardhaven. (E)
Due to the wording of the Deep Mines site, it requires the same protected Wizardhaven to be in play that it was originally played with in order for a company to return to the surface site. Unless you are using Rhosgobel (which is a protected Wizardhaven by default), this restriction requires you to find a way to keep the site in play (leaving a company behind being the most obvious way), if you intend to bring your company back up to the surface site.

If you do not leave a company behind (or find some other way to keep the surface site in play), the surface site will be discarded once you enter the Deep Mines (or returned to your location deck). When this happens the site would also lose its protected status (unless Rhosgobel). Recreating the protected Wizardhaven takes a lot of effort, which can seriously impact the movement abilities of the company at Deep Mines, up to the point of making their movement nearly impossible.

Your company might forever be stuck at the Deep Mines site in the above scenario. Of note, even if you do leave a character behind at the surface site, if that character is somehow removed from play, your company in the Deep Mines may not ever be able to get out. There are a number of ways your character at the surface site might be removed from play (Call of Home, influence attempts, corruption.)

This erratum attempts to make the use of Deep Mines much less cumbersome and risky.

BALLOT ITEM # 12:
Are you in favor of issuing the following erratum?

DEEP MINES
Change This:
A company may move to this site only from one of your protected Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ] and only if you have more than 6 stage points. The protected Wizardhaven is the surface site for Deep Mines (i.e., the sites are adjacent and the movement roll required to move between them is 0). You receive the three stage points if any of your companies are at the site. May be duplicated in location deck. Cannot be duplicated on a given Wizardhaven. (E)
(current CRF erratum in bold)

To This:
A company may move to this site from one of your protected Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ] and only if you have more than 6 stage points. This site is the surface site for Deep Mines (i.e., the sites are adjacent and the movement roll required to move between them is 0). You receive the three stage points if any of your companies are at the site. May be duplicated in location deck. Cannot be duplicated on a given Wizardhaven.
(changes in bold for clarity)

CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR VOTE:
If you vote YES, then a company at a Deep Mines site will not require a protected Wizardhaven in order to return to the surface. They will only require the surface site itself to be in play, regardless of its protected or haven status. Additionally, you may move to a Deep Mines site in play using Gnawed Ways from an Under-deeps site.

If you vote NO, then Deep Mines will remain unchanged. A company at a Deep Mines site will continue to require the protected Wizardhaven site which the Deep Mines site was originally played with in order to return to the surface. This protected Wizardhaven will continue to be the only way to enter the Deep Mines site.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
- This is a "Status Quo" ballot item. The status quo is represented by a NO vote.
- Gnawed Ways is notably a backdoor escape route from the Deep Mines if the surface site has been discarded. Whether or not players should be forced to include Gnawed Ways in their deck if they desire to build a deck utilizing Deep Mines is a question that heavily factors into this vote.

REFERENCE TOPICS: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3342 and viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1960

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote”