2018 Annual Rules Vote Timeline

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Dear fellow ROC members,

Our current Charter states:
The duration of the Annual Rules Vote will be three weeks and will take place in June of each year.
We should decide what date in June this year the Annual Rules Vote will open. In order for the vote to last 3 weeks and take place in June, possible start dates are June 1st through June 10th.

Also, I feel we should announce a cut-off date deadline for anyone who wishes to make a submission for consideration on this years Annual Rules Vote ballot. Such a deadline would provide the ROC adequate time to review all submissions and make a decision on which submissions to include prior to the vote opening. Such a deadline would also allow the ROC to make any necessary changes and formatting needed in order to make included submissions ready and presentable to the community on the ballot. My opinion is that we should allow ourselves at least 3 weeks for this process, but perhaps longer is preferable?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 am We should decide what date in June this year the Annual Rules Vote will open. In order for the vote to last 3 weeks and take place in June, possible start dates are June 1st through June 10th.
Any date is good, imo. Maybe let the vote end on a Sunday.
Also, I feel we should announce a cut-off date deadline for anyone who wishes to make a submission for consideration on this years Annual Rules Vote ballot. Such a deadline would provide the ROC adequate time to review all submissions and make a decision on which submissions to include prior to the vote opening. Such a deadline would also allow the ROC to make any necessary changes and formatting needed in order to make included submissions ready and presentable to the community on the ballot. My opinion is that we should allow ourselves at least 3 weeks for this process, but perhaps longer is preferable?
This is a very good idea. I would see a period of 1 month in order to do this. That way possible holidays of ROC-members should not be a limiting factor.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

I would allow a month to review the submissions and prepare the ballot.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thanks guys!

Okay, in order to end the vote on a Sunday in June, allow 3 full weeks, and 1 month period for review, how about the following dates:

Friday, May 4 - Deadline for submissions

Monday, June 4 - 2018 Annual Rules Vote ballot opens

Sunday, June 24 - 2018 Annual Rules Vote ballot closes

We will wait to see if Thorsten has any objections and then I will finalize it and make an announcement. :)
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:04 pm Okay, in order to end the vote on a Sunday in June, allow 3 full weeks, and 1 month period for review, how about the following dates:

Friday, May 4 - Deadline for submissions

Monday, June 4 - 2018 Annual Rules Vote ballot opens

Sunday, June 24 - 2018 Annual Rules Vote ballot closes
Sounds fine to me.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

good plan
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I spoke with Thorsten and he has no objections to the timeline.

I will make the announcement now. Thanks guys!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yep, seems good.
Would it be an idea to create a post where rough outlines and issues can be gathered, to have a first clue, and to coordinate a bit? Because issuing a completely formed proposal takes time.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:37 pm Would it be an idea to create a post where rough outlines and issues can be gathered, to have a first clue, and to coordinate a bit? Because issuing a completely formed proposal takes time.
Yes, issuing a completely formed proposal will take some time, that is what we are currently reserving 1 month to do.

I'm not 100% clear on what you are suggesting. We can't really do a preliminary ballot without knowing which items will be placed on the ballot, and we won't know that until after we vote on them once the deadline hits on May 4th.

All of the current issues which MAY be included on the ballot are gathered nicely here: viewforum.php?f=143

I'm all ears if you have an idea of something we can do before the submission deadline.

Also, the ROC will need to promptly vote after the deadline on which submissions to include on the ballot so that the majority of the 1 month period can be used to get the ballot organized.

As a side note, I had planned to type up a short introduction and INSTRUCTIONS for voting for everyone to read prior to casting their votes. My thoughts were to emphasize:
- Every forum member is encouraged to cast their vote.
- Anyone who casts a vote is not required to vote on every item. They can vote on any number of items on the ballot they wish to.
- It is highly encouraged to only cast votes on issues which you have an educated and formed opinion on. If you are on the fence, best to skip and not vote on that item.

Please let me know guys if the above sounds good to you or if you have anything to add at this time. Thanks!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

All of the current issues which MAY be included on the ballot are gathered nicely here: viewforum.php?f=143
you are right, that should be sufficient. I was thinking a single post which gathers and succinctly sums up each issue/proposal. But perhaps that's redundant. Depends on how many there are...
It is highly encouraged to only cast votes on issues which you have an educated and formed opinion on.
Now there's an idea, you've defined the crux slash flaw of democracy :-)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

the Jabberwock wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm As a side note, I had planned to type up a short introduction and INSTRUCTIONS for voting for everyone to read prior to casting their votes. My thoughts were to emphasize:
- Every forum member is encouraged to cast their vote.
- Anyone who casts a vote is not required to vote on every item. They can vote on any number of items on the ballot they wish to.
- It is highly encouraged to only cast votes on issues which you have an educated and formed opinion on. If you are on the fence, best to skip and not vote on that item.

Please let me know guys if the above sounds good to you or if you have anything to add at this time. Thanks!
Sounds good.

Should the voting be 100% anonymous or do we want people to "register with their username" by simply replying (maybe with an empty post) to the poll? This could help preventing the unlikely event of somebody trying to influence the outcome with several votes. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the honesty of our community very much :D . Just for consideration.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Shapeshifter wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:29 pm Should the voting be 100% anonymous or do we want people to "register with their username" by simply replying (maybe with an empty post) to the poll? This could help preventing the unlikely event of somebody trying to influence the outcome with several votes. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the honesty of our community very much :D . Just for consideration.
Good question. This is something I had been thinking about myself, and it is something we will need to decide.

I think I'm actually in favor of total transparency and having each forum member post a reply to the thread which lists all of his votes. So 0% anonymous. If this method is used:

Pros:
- Total transparency.
- Every forum member is free to tally the votes for himself to confirm the results are correct and accurate.

Cons:
- Maybe some people don't want others to know how they voted? Personally, I don't see why anyone would really care if other members knew how they voted but I suppose this is a Con that should be considered.
- There is a higher likelihood of piggy-backing and having some members vote the same way a friend or respected forum member votes (even though we will attempt to discourage this).

If we use an anonymous poll method instead, I do think at a minimum, we should require each member who casts a ballot to reply to the thread stating that they voted (as you suggest above). This just provides more legitimacy to the whole process I believe.

I do not like the 3rd option, which would be a completely anonymous poll where nobody really knows who voted and everyone must just completely trust the numbers we provide after it is over.

I also very much believe in the honesty of our community and I highly doubt anything shady will take place. Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to be aware and take caution. I had even considered restricting the voting to forum members who have had an active account for at least 3 months.... just to prevent anyone from trying to create alternate accounts prior to the vote to sway the outcome. AGAIN... highly unlikely anyone in our community would do this, but it doesn't hurt to consider all options. :)
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

I am ok with transparency but not with 100%. I don't think that people need to reply with the results of their votes. From my point of yiew it would be sufficient to say on what topic you casted your vote.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Ok. So if we have 25 topics to vote on, would members post a reply to the thread and list all of the topics they voted on or what?
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Yes, that was the idea. Is it too much?

Gesendet von meinem FIG-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Return to “Completed Agenda Items”