Influencing opponent's resources with Wizard

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
DamienX207
Council Member

So my brother is a huge stickler for every tiny rule and errata -- EXCEPT that he doesn't even want to TRY playing with influencing opponent's resources (Standard Rules section 9). His concern is that one player could just send their Wizard around hounding the opponent's company from site to site and influencing away anything that the opponent plays every turn, causing the game to last forever, fun to be ruined, and yadda yadda yadda.

Basically, I'm wondering if we're missing some rule (beyond the "Wizards can't influence first turn they're revealed") that prevents this from happening? Or can anyone give me the counter-argument to assuage my bro's concerns and convince him to play this great game the way it was meant to be played? :)

Thanks as always!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Turn Sequence, Site Phase, Influence Attempts wrote:You may only make one influence attempt against your opponent's resources during
each turn.
Maybe the rule has been created just because authors have realized that concerns like your brother's concern are valid.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

In order to make an influence attempt on opponent's ressources the Wizard needs to be untapped, of course. Just tap or wound him with your hazards :wink: .

Another thing to consider is that influencing from your opponent could be quite tricky in some cases, for example if he uses movement enhancers (e.g. Belegaer), has two or more companies, plays ressources at the other side of the world.

Then there is Wizards Laughter :lol:

There are other things that make such a strategy not that easy or promising as it may look.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Shapeshifter wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm There are other things that make such a strategy not that easy or promising as it may look.
Like playing a Morannon-Deck, hehe.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Shapeshifter wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm In order to make an influence attempt on opponent's ressources the Wizard needs to be untapped, of course. Just tap or wound him with your hazards :wink: .
Or just plop down some Foolish Words and a Stormcrow.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
DamienX207
Council Member

Thanks friends! You're all Wizards in my book. :)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”