COE logo

Announcements & discussion of CoE related issues.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i have just deleted the "COE Logo" thread accidently (wanted to move it to this subforum here, left a shadow thread in the old forum, and when deleting this one, everything was deleted). SORRY!
so i try to summarize what we have been talking there.

my proposal was to create a COE logo. something like the Eye in Flames with the letters "COE" (maybe in elvish runes?).
also, i can ask a friend of mine to draw an image we can use for prize stuff.

some ideas have been:
- hobbits in the shire with mounted nazgul over them
- gollum and bilbo not ridlling, but playing a vard game
- smaug and bilbo under the mountian enjoying a game of MECCG
- was thre something else???

the smaug image was favored be most.

we may think of small stuff like dice with the COE logo. also bigger stuff like tshirt and caps with the image (and the COE logo).
similar to what i have been starting for Lure last year.

did i forget any info???
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Maybe the CoE logo should show an elf, a dwarf, a hobbit and a man (and dunadan) ... embracing each other :D ? Just a thought...
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

probably too much of an image already for a logo.
think of having the logo on the spot of a die, it wouldnt look good. the lure-die has only one face, and thats quite hard already.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I'm not in favour of a humorous logo.
Something Elvish seems more appropriate for the CoE. You wanna be taken seriously, don't feature a funny logo.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:I'm not in favour of a humorous logo.
Something Elvish seems more appropriate for the CoE. You wanna be taken seriously, don't feature a funny logo.
even tough i like smaug and bilbo playing cards, i agree with Eric
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

just for clarification:
there are 2 things we are talking about:
- a COE logo (this one will always stay the same and should identify everything connected with the COE)
- an image for stuff like tshirts, ... (there can be more later)

the logo should be as basic as possible. like the ldiless eye in flames. or like the gandalf rune. or a white tree, or a rohan horse.
if anybody got a good idea (especially in connection with the COE), let us know!

image: personally i like funny images. but there or enoguh scenarios in the books that could be taken for a cool iamge.
like the meeting of gandalf and the witchking. or saruman and gandalf. or bard versus smaug.
you see, i like the idea of having good against evil (thats what the game is about after all).
any more idea are very welcome!
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I don't get it--isn't the image on the Council index page good enough for a logo? Of the beautiful mountains and sky, done by Ted Nasmith, I believe?

I also believe someone said that Nasmith agreed to give up copyright for his work, or at least he is now allowing people to freely redistribute his art, as long as his name is mentioned, and that's how we got that particular art (and his art for certain dream cards, etc). Is this correct?

Or is the Nasmith COE index art too BIG for our purposes, and we want something smaller?

I really think the best image is something that features Elrond with other elves, or the actual "council" of elrond, like the image here (although this image is badly rendered). We could have a "friend" try to duplicate this kind of image. But already the Nasmith image has gotten around. Numerous COE members have bought the "COE Member T-shirt" that I designed using the Nasmith image, and it looks really cool. I made it on zazzle, though it has since disappeared from that site.

--Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I suppose Wolfgang means a logo that is more iconographic, recognizable in a split second. Something councilly is cool, like added pic., but hard to make into a logo.

btw. isn't that mountain/sky pic. by John Howe? seems his style and looks like from LotR boardgame. If you have printed this one on t-shirts, can you supply a picture of that? would like to see what it looks like.
Attachments
council of elrond by alan lee.jpg
council of elrond by alan lee.jpg (247.91 KiB) Viewed 15465 times
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:I suppose Wolfgang means a logo that is more iconographic, recognizable in a split second.
exactly so!

well, i like this image of Ted Nasmith. didnt know we are allowed to use it. anyway, while its a nice countryside, it doesnt remind very much of ME or any spcific scene from the books.
while i think a Council of Elrond pic is nice, i prefer something more dynamic, with more action in it.
a Council pic is good for the COE homepage. but i dont think a price has to show where it comes from (here the COE), rather lets have the coolest image on it possible.

so i still prefer stuff like the fight between gandalf and the balrog, or gandalf versus the witchking. or gollum revelling in madness after claiming the One Ring while falling into the fiery chasms of mount doom.
Numerous COE members have bought the "COE Member T-shirt" that I designed using the Nasmith image, and it looks really cool.
i got one! and i still like it. but isnt it considered a COE member tshirt, as you mentioned? so one who is not a member, probably wont wear it.
Ranger of the north

Old post but still a very interesting idea :) , what about the current state of the project?
thedarkness

Ranger of the north wrote:Old post but still a very interesting idea :) , what about the current state of the project?
Interesting work here. I'll discuss what can be made with some local artists and see what can be made. I think a fresh logo and rebranding could potentially liven things up around here.

Imagine a new logo being produced for a playmat? That would most certainly draw the attention of new players if used at a high traffic event such as GenCon.

What is there to lose at this point?
“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.” - LOTR
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

thedarkness wrote:
Ranger of the north wrote:Old post but still a very interesting idea :) , what about the current state of the project?
Interesting work here. I'll discuss what can be made with some local artists and see what can be made. I think a fresh logo and rebranding could potentially liven things up around here.

Imagine a new logo being produced for a playmat? That would most certainly draw the attention of new players if used at a high traffic event such as GenCon.

What is there to lose at this point?
There is nothing to loose. and much to gain. great, feel free to proceed!
thedarkness

Thank you.

I'm a University student, so I'll search out an artist that can create a digital image that will fit the player community needs.
“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.” - LOTR
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Is the logo dead in the water?

Anyone have thoughts or ideas on this?
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Fellow Council Members -

Does anyone have the ambition to take charge of this project?

Should it be solicited to our community and moved to a public forum?

If not, I will shelve the project and have it removed from our Active Agenda list.

Thanks

Return to “Council Business”