Charter rewrite

Darksatin

"Only natural persons shall be eligible for election; and the term of office shall be twenty-four months."

I prefer 12 months. 24 months could be dangerous if many Council members leave it for various reasons. There would be no substitutes for a long period.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Darksatin wrote:I prefer 12 months. 24 months could be dangerous if many Council members leave it for various reasons. There would be no substitutes for a long period.
I agree on this.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

darksatin has a point there, however, i would rather prefer to implement way to substitute a COE member in case one breaks off.
this would help no matter if it happens in a 1 or 2 years term.
that said, i very much prefer a term of years, since that enables the COE to commit to larger projects.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Again I agree with Wolfgang on it in 12 months too little can and will be managed.

mfg Nicolai
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Well, how to do this substitute thing then? Let people vote again or should it rather be done by CoE members only?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

well, a few ideas come to my mind:
1) the COE members are elected out of a pool of candidates. so in case someone gets lost, the first that didnt make it to the COE may be asked to join.
2) one of the National representatives is elected by the COE and other reps.
3) the COE decides upon a substitute.
also a mix of all of them is viable. if 1 doesnt work, lets try 2. if that one also doesnt work, 3 follows. if also doesnt work, the COE is reduced and strays so till the end of the term.
i dont think it is necessary to start another voting of the community. this takes a lot of effort and time.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Charter 2.0 wrote: • The second order of business for a newly elected council -- after choosing a vice-chairman -- will be to send queries to the heads of any active recognized National Councils (if such there be) asking whether they are ready to elect their prequalified player. If they are not ready, or they do not respond within two weeks, an email will be sent to them listing all players preregistered from their country; they are to choose from that list. If there are no such players, an email will be sent to the main list asking if anyone from that country is planning to attend, and directing them to email their council representative. If after 6 weeks still no one has been assigned the prequalified slot for a given country, that country's representative may inform the Worlds organizer to use his or her discretion in awarding that country's slot to an appropriate player if one does attend Worlds. The representative may also decline to give such permission.
part of this paraggraph i dont understand. i have bolded the phrases.
their prequalified player - does this refer to national council representatives? but why should the heads elect their reps?
listing all players preregistered from their country - preregistered where? in the players directory? why pre-?
asking if anyone from that country is planning to attend - attending what? is all of this about Worlds? the last few sentences suggest so, but when starting this pararaph i was not sure what it is about.
btw: there are no longer any pre-qualified slots or qualification methods for Worlds.

Charter 2.0 wrote: • The Council will provide as needed hosting and a subforum for any recognized National Council that requests and has need of such.

imo this one should also be open to any group of players in a country. maybe it helps to start a National Council.
Charter 2.0 wrote: • The Council shall authorize a World’s Tournament for the game once a year, and shall decide upon a suitable venue.

lets call this The Long Expected MECCG Party, that also includes World Cahmpionships.
Charter 2.0 wrote: • The Council of Elrond shall not award any World-Qualifying slots to any Council which discriminates against its player(s) for any reason other than the player(s) intentional efforts to disrupt the fair and pleasurable gaming experience or community (such as through deliberate and persistent cheating or violent or malicious outbursts, either verbal or physical).

can be deleted, since there are no pre-qualified slots anyway (there is more of the same ...)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Council of Elrond Charter

We, the members of the Council of Elrond, re-charter the Council of Elrond, in order to better meet the needs of an evolving community in facilitating organized play and ameliorating the playing environment.

The composition, scope and powers of this Council are delineated in the following manner:

Composition:
• The council shall be comprised of nine voting members.
• The number of seats up for election each election shall be eight.
• The Chair is not up for election.
• The term of office shall be twenty-four months. In the event that a member is not able to bring his term to completion, a new member shall be appointed based on the results of the election; if such is unfeasible, a special election shall be held.
• Normal elections shall be held beginning on April 1st; a candidate shall announce his candidacy no later than this date. Elections shall end on April 30th.

Method of election:
• All candidates will be listed on the Council of Elrond community discussion platform, and the new Chair shall be responsible for maintaining this list and monitoring the votes.
• Each candidate must receive no less than one percent of the votes collected on the Council of Elrond community discussion platform in order to be elected.
• If ten or more people run for election to the Council of Elrond, the size of the Council will remain nine. If nine or eight people run for election, the size of the Council will be decreased from nine members to seven members. If seven people or fewer run for election, the election will be postponed for two months. In that time the members of the previous session will discuss how to continue (which might include modifying the Charter or even dissolving the Council of Elrond). For that matter each representative of the active national councils will receive one vote, as will each member of the previous session.

Tasks:
• Upon seating the newly elected Council, the first order of business of each session of the Council shall be the election of a Vice Chair from amongst their midst. The last order of business of a given session of the Council shall be the selection of next session's Chair.
• Each active council recognized by the Council of Elrond may appoint a non-voting spokesperson who shall take part in Council debates.
• The Council of Elrond may further appoint non-voting experts to participate in their debates.
• The Council shall maintain a web site and community discussion platform (currently an internet forum), including on such web site information on how to organize a council, how to gain recognition from this Council, a compendium of the rules (Universal Rules Document), help for beginners, et cetera.
• The Council will provide as needed hosting and a subforum for any recognized National Council that requests and has need of such.
• The Chair of the Council shall provide a bimonthly newsletter detailing important information regarding the Council as well as events of interest to the community in general. This newsletter will be a compilation of input from all members of the community.
• The Council shall maintain a player’s directory and a list of contacts for various nations in the absence of a National Council for the Nation.
• The Council shall authorize a World’s Tournament for the game once a year, and shall decide upon a suitable venue.
• Should qualifiers be required for the World's Tournament, the Council will send queries to the heads of any active recognized National Councils (if such there be) asking whether they are ready to elect their prequalified player. If they are not ready, or they do not respond within two weeks, an email will be sent to them listing all players preregistered from their country; they are to choose from that list. If there are no such players, an email will be sent to the main list asking if anyone from that country is planning to attend, and directing them to email their council representative. If after 6 weeks still no one has been assigned the pre-qualified slot for a given country, that country's representative may inform the Worlds organizer to use his or her discretion in awarding that country's slot to an appropriate player if one does attend Worlds. The representative may also decline to give such permission. The Council reserves the right of final approval on any pre-qualified player.
• The Council shall further authorize and encourage online tournaments.
• The Council shall encourage tournament participation by offering special prizes at Council-sanctioned events.
• The Council shall from time to time as it sees fit compose rules of order and make modifications to the same.

Powers:

• The Council shall issue errata or rules changes as needed. A team of three experts will be appointed to discuss all rules changes. Proposed errata from this team shall be placed for an open vote before the community, and shall be ratified by a two-thirds majority after a voting period of three weeks. The Chair shall be responsible for announcing, maintaining, and monitoring the vote. Rules so ratified shall be considered in force when announced in the next Newsletter from the Chair.
• The Council shall maintain at least one spokesperson during each session whose duties shall consist of clarifying rules, interpreting card texts, adjudicating rules disputes, clarifying gameplay questions posed to the Council, adjudicating conflicts between cards, updating the Universal Rules Document, and forwarding any appropriate issues to the Errata Team. The title of said office shall be NetRep. The NetRep shall publish a rulings digest bimonthly as well as update the Universal Rules Document. If no new rulings are to be made, the NetRep shall inform the Chair of such.

Ratification of this Charter shall become effective upon the affirmative vote of two thirds as collected on the Council discussion platform after an announcement by the Chair and a voting period of three weeks.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Let me know if I missed something, or worse, axed something I shouldn't have.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

I agree with the whole of it.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

In my opinion we should add to the charta, that every new errata issued by the CoE shall be playtested for some time (at least half a year) before it will become really official. If it fails the playtesting phase the errata will be withdrawn then.
marcos
Council Member

Shapeshifter wrote:In my opinion we should add to the charta, that every new errata issued by the CoE shall be playtested for some time (at least half a year) before it will become really official. If it fails the playtesting phase the errata will be withdrawn then.
agree
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

d'accore :)
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

agree, at least with the principle of playtesting.
but we should make sure its really playtested, like used in games and tournaments. not that the time passes by, nobody cared about it and finally a decision has to be made.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Should qualifiers be required for the World's Tournament ...
honestly, i prefer to have all of this removed from the charter. there simply is no need to qualify for worlds (at the moment).
if there are going to be more than 70 players for a world´s semi, we can take this up again.

finally: can we change the period of COE election from april to may? april is quite near and i really would like to have this one completed till the next election for several reasons.

so lets bring this whole matter to an end.
any more comments or proposals?

otherwise i would like to have a voting among the COE about the new charter soon. and then i will send it out for ratification to the community.

Return to “Council Business - Agenda Items”