Hi all,

due to not having an awesome map artist yet, we stick with this so far

yours Nicolai
Attachments
VasterDreamers-Maps_v01 slim.xls
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 893 times
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

and if someone knows how to export this excell file map to a useful other program in which it can be easily presented, that would also be welcome help!
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bruce
Ex Council Member

I guess the map could be exported to a .pdf file using OpenOffice. I'd do that, if I weren't too busy building my Boromir coolplay deck for Lure X :P
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

a smaller version of the excel file VastorDreamersMap has also been published for svn users in the seteditor file, in the Maps section.

as it is smaller, I will attach it here also. This will remain the master version for non-svn users.

we are still working on better maps though, don't worry, a pdf version will be around at some point, hopefully with better graphics :wink:
meanwhile, detailed maps of south and east will bring you more information
enjoy!
Attachments
DC Main Map.xls
(476.5 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

A jpg file of the DC Main Map is added below, it is in low quality, still 1 MB, a bigger/better version will be available in time in the Map folder via svn

Meanwhile, enjoy this one, it's colourful
cheers
Attachments
DC Main Map.jpg
DC Main Map.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 14319 times
marcos
Council Member

wow awesome job...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Ok peoples, you probably often wondered what I was doing when you were playing yet another sealed game? Well, it's taken a couple of months, but here is the newly shopped version of Hartwig's Middle Earth map, for your viewing pleasure. And of course for use in DC games.

Hopefully we'll get a better scan of the original map one day, so the resolution can be a lot higher, and names of sites can be added (which now will be rather blurry cause of necessary size). If anyone has such scan, please report!

Until then, enjoy this one.

Most up to date version, as well as region only version, will be kept at maps folder via svn, as usual.
Attachments
DC Map Hartwig (sites).jpg
DC Map Hartwig (sites).jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 14122 times
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Fantastic! :D
You did a great job.
Brabo

Wow... superb!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'
Luitprand

I played too much sealed ;-)
Good Job. I like this nice map. Thx a lot.

You need only southern countries...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

updated map a bit,
added 2 sites still missing (nobody found them, so nobody wins the cool prize unfortunately)

Grey Mountain Narrows doesn't border on Dragon-gap anymore, as it shouldn't. In fact it should also not border on Withered Heath, but we'd better not change original map too much

@Luitprand. Thanks, there's plenty more to both east and south indeed, but shopping those in will take couple more years I'm afraid :wink:
Aranarth

I love the idea of expanding the map south to Umbar!

In ME, Forochel and perhaps the Withered Heath are at a comparable latitude to Alaska or northern Siberia (Arctic/subArctic polar region)- hence the snowmen and wastelands, so I doubt that anything more could really be north of these areas, but I applaud your creativity! Nice work!
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hola amigo, welcome to our little community
I love the idea of expanding the map south to Umbar!
well so do we make sure to check out the GCCG section using what we call the SVN access, right now we are changing servers, but you should still be able to register at

https://sourceforge.net/

and get an account to be able to get new core access with all dream card material, for the pics of the sets please look into my FTP server:

http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... f=32&t=505

also I will add you to my Vastor dreams group, within you find more dream card stuff
In ME, Forochel and perhaps the Withered Heath are at a comparable latitude to Alaska or northern Siberia (Arctic/subArctic polar region)- hence the snowmen and wastelands, so I doubt that anything more could really be north of these areas, but I applaud your creativity! Nice work!
right but elves & dwarves (and Ice-orcs and demons) are not prone to freeze to death as humans would, also as long as there is food there are people, same as in our world,

so check out what we did so far

hasta luego in el GCCG

yours Nicolai aka Vastor
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Aranarth wrote:
so I doubt that anything more could really be north of these areas, but I applaud your creativity! Nice work!
bienvenido Aranarth, and sorry to hear you're selling your cards.

Well, now that Vastor has played good cop, I can play bad cop :wink:

If Forochel would be Alaska:
a) there is still a North Pole,
b) The Shire would be British Columbia, Vancouver at least, and I doubt a good Longbottom Leaf grows there,
c) climate also depends on sea currents and other factors, as Alaska is 60-65 degrees north, which is not more than Finland or Iceland and those are perfectly habitable.
d) the curbing of the earth as usual makes the distances in the north look bigger than they really are (on a square map).

Basically in Tolkien's work, Forochel is colder than would normally be suspected for that latitute, because of the influence of evil (Morgoth, Witch-king, some other demons).

This and other lore about the north you can read in ICE The Northern Waste, which is also where the north-western part of the map is from, I didn't design that, nor do I take credit for designing the north-eastern or any other part of the map, just for photoshopping it, as 90% of it is ICE merp invention, and the other 10% done by other middle earth role playing fans. But thanks for the compliments anyway and welcome on board.
Aranarth

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Aranarth wrote:
bienvenido Aranarth, and sorry to hear you're selling your cards.
Hi Thorsten,

I'm keeping play cards.
If Forochel would be Alaska:
a) there is still a North Pole,
b) The Shire would be British Columbia, Vancouver at least, and I doubt a good Longbottom Leaf grows there,
c) climate also depends on sea currents and other factors, as Alaska is 60-65 degrees north, which is not more than Finland or Iceland and those are perfectly habitable.
d) the curbing of the earth as usual makes the distances in the north look bigger than they really are (on a square map).

Basically in Tolkien's work, Forochel is colder than would normally be suspected for that latitute, because of the influence of evil (Morgoth, Witch-king, some other demons).
a) It's likely that ME became a sphere after cataclysms of first Beleriand and then Numenor when the "seas were bent".
b) Or Forochel equates to Scandinavia and the Shire is France or Spain?
c) Indeed currents do make a difference especially the Gulf Stream to Europe.

I do recall reading about a seemingly enduring "supernatural cause" that affects Forochel (implied by the Hobbits who wrote the Redbook) and about the Lossoth being genetically predisposed to the cold of Morgoth's realm.

However, Morgoth established Angband nigh to the Helcaraxe which joined continents at the cold, extreme north, but he didn't create the climate [Or did he? I haven't reviewed Silmarillion for a while, but Melkor could control earth, raise mountains only IIRC.], neither did the Witch King create the general weather conditions of Angmar and the north. IIRC, both could manipulate weather temporarily through sorcery to unleash deadly frosts and storms, or lengthen Winter, but they didn't set the conditions of the North of Arda from the beginning, and there's no reason to believe that their spells would have permanent effects on world climate. That's my opinion. Regardless of icy sorceries, permanent or not, I don't see how Forochel can be frigid and on the coast while a bunch of lands northwards are temperate -that just makes no sense cartographically. Ered Luin was the eastern fence of Beleriand and thus Forochel is roughly at the same latitude that Thangorodrim was, and "Everdalf" is at roughly same level as the grinding ice of the Helcaraxe. It should all be a frozen wasteland -the Dor Daedelos- extending into a polar ice cap. See this map overlay for an approximation:
http://www.whitetowerkin.org/whitetower ... w%3Bid=106

As I said, I like the ideas of the game map extending South and East much better!
This and other lore about the north you can read in ICE The Northern Waste, which is also where the north-western part of the map is from, I didn't design that, nor do I take credit for designing the north-eastern or any other part of the map, just for photoshopping it, as 90% of it is ICE merp invention, and the other 10% done by other middle earth role playing fans. But thanks for the compliments anyway and welcome on board.
I wasn't aware that this was sourced from ICE MERP, but I'm not surprised that the new northern regions are their idea; they had some strange ones. You did a a really nice job on repainting and adapting it though, and I love the general idea of expanding the card game world.

Return to “Files, Docs, Goodies”