COE Agenda 2010/11 - JCP

marcos
Council Member

I'm not really sure where to start with the Judge Certification Program, i think that first of all we need to have an active NetRep(-team), since such people are the ones that has more knowledge of rules, this comes from CoE webpage:

http://councilofelrond.org/index.php?id=11#JCP wrote:The Judge Certification Program began in the Summer of 2005 under the leadership of Mark Alfano and the rest of the NetRep Team. The purpose of this program is twofold: (1) to improve community-wide rules knowledge by creating helpful tutorials on the game and (2) to establish a hierarchy of rules wizards who can act as judges during tournaments. The legislation for the program was passed by CoE with seven in favor, one against, and one abstaining. Here is the text of the motion passed by CoE:
Preamble
Seeing that there already exists a reputation-based foundation for making rulings in MECCG, and also seeing that codifying aforesaid foundation would greatly help in rules disputes, and further seeing that much work can still be contributed to the electronically-available documentation for MECCG, we are

Resolved
to create a system for certifying judges of MECCG rules. This system will eventually consist of 5 levels, with level 5 being the highest and least numerous, and level 1 being the lowest and largest. The first stage will award level 4 status to all current members of the NetRep Team (viz. Mark Alfano, Nigel Buckle, Travis Took, Chad Martin, and Wim Heemskerk); moreover, during the first stage of the project the NetRep team will be empowered to certify players as level 1 judges provided that they meet two criteria. The first criterion will be a working knowledge of the rules, and the second will be the satisfactory completion of a small rules-related assignment in one of the following projects: (1) Proofreading electronic rules documents, (2) Writing "How to Teach MECCG" Guides, (3) Writing "Beginners' FAQ" Guides, (4)Writing "How to be a Good Judge" Guides, (5) Compiling a Universal Rulesbook,(6) Further Projects to be added if the need arises. Both criteria will be checked by the empowered NetRep team for each judge. The second stage will begin a process of "graduating" level 1 judges to levels 2 and above, each time with greater depth, breadth, and experience in rules-related matters being required.

To give you an idea of the scope of this project, I envision the hierarchy eventually looking something like this:
Level 1 Judges: ~50,
Level 2 Judges: ~20,
Level 3 Judges: ~10,
Level 4 Judges: ~5,
Level 5 Judges: less than 3.

There are currently 12 certified judges:
Level 1: Dave Barton, Kris Van Beurden, Brian Min, Joe Bisz, Jonathan Yost, Kuba Krchak
Level 2: Manuel Cabezali
Level 3:
Level 4: Mark Alfano, Nigel Buckle, Chad Martin, Travis Took, Mikko Vihtemaki
Level 5:

There are currently 4 rules projects available to the MECCG-public:
Counting the Marshalling Points by Wim Heemskerk
Company vs. Company Combat Guide by Dave Barton
Hazard Limit Reduction Guide by Mark Alfano
Passive Conditions and Timing Guide by Mark Alfano
Play and Examples File by Joe Bisz and Jonathan Yost
Bolds are mine, i will take each of them separately to make it easier:

(1) Proofreading electronic rules documents,
(2) Writing "How to Teach MECCG" Guides,
(3) Writing "Beginners' FAQ" Guides,
(4) Writing "How to be a Good Judge" Guides,
(5) Compiling a Universal Rulesbook,
(6) Further Projects to be added if the need arises

I think 1 and 5 have been done quite well by Ben with his new rules file, but what about 2,3 and 4. I'm not sure if any of such guides already exist, i'm not aware of them so it would be good to start from scratch, any volunteers? :lol:
I am specially aware on point number 4 because how could we write such guide when most of judges we have nowadays are away from the game for personal matters.

So in my oppinion, the best way to start is to design a new NetRep team that could be able to deal with 2,3 and 4 as well as deal with rules question, such team needs to be made of people commited to the game, otherwise it makes little sense to me.

Thoughts?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I currently have some other projects on my plate, so I won't be volunteering for any right now. I did include some suggestions for judges in the URD, but how to be a good judge . . . that's something I don't have experience with. Also, a Beginner's FAQ might be well written by . . . a beginner, all things considered. After a certain level of expertise, it becomes hard to even think of things that would belong there.

What we might consider is a "Beginner's FAQ" sticky thread that is locked. People can PM the CoE with potential questions to be added to the FAQ. That will allow a growing Beginner's FAQ without swamping it with details and arguments that will make it collapse under its own weight.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Oh, and as far as the NetRep team, I'd like to see a monthly update schedule.

The NetRep, once a month, either:
1) Posts a digest;
2) Posts a note saying there have been no new questions; or
3) Gets booted and a new NetRep installed.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

sad we don't get much repplies on this...
marcos
Council Member

been having some long chat with mikko regarding stuff here, hopefully more info will come soon

Return to “Council Business - Agenda Items”