Final Fixes and Tweaks for Virtual Set #1

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

how about this picture for some booster design? I think a collage of pictures will not be very clear...
Attachments
Leaving by alberto gordillo.jpg
Leaving by alberto gordillo.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 8705 times
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

i like the picture, and i'm against adding more stuff to vc1 cards wich have proven to be good enough and have a lot of text cramped already
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Great picture!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Frodo wrote:Okay, so this thread is on Fate of the Ithil-Stone (V).

I love this card. But I hate how it doesn't make the playing of the Ithil-stone item any easier, which I think it should, given the title of this card!

So, would it be to much to add to this card a second line:
"+5 to your scout’s roll on The Ithil-Stone."

?
I'd say no. Fate of the Ithil-Stone already does enough damage to a Minion Player. In fact, it already rather duplicates the beneficial effects of playing the Ithil-Stone. The 5 MPs for playing the Ithil-Stone is deservedly difficult and still deserves to be difficult in combo with Fate of the Ithil-Stone to decrease a Lidless Eye player's hand size by 5.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

My goodness, that picture is gorgeous! Okay, I will use it to attempt to create something tasty. Thanks for posting it Thorsten.

Okay, heard you guys on Fate. If anyone has last-minute concerns about other cards, even about rewordings or powers that aren't clear or necessary (as opposed to adding new text), do let us know.

Frodo
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Frodo wrote:
Okay, heard you guys on Fate. If anyone has last-minute concerns about other cards, even about rewordings or powers that aren't clear or necessary (as opposed to adding new text), do let us know.
Or forever hold your your peace? ;)

I ahve been reading what you guys are posting and it seems fine with me. Leave FotIS as it is. I know from experience that less text on cards makes it easier to understand.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Ringbearer wrote:I know from experience that less text on cards makes it easier to understand.
Hear, hear!
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I looked over the Vset pdf. Here are the last few text concerns I could find. Don't worry, none of these have to do with adding more text--quite the contrary, I want them to make more sense, more quickly.

First of the Order
The "mathspeak" version of this card was too strange. Currently, First of the Order reads:

Playable on Saruman during the organization phase.
Tap First of the Order to give +2 to a corruption check
for a character in Saruman’s company (except Saruman)
bearing a ring or Palantir. You may discard this card to
give hero Saruman +2 to a corruption check from a spell
or while bearing a ring or Palantir. You may discard this
card and a character in fallen Saruman’s company to
prevent fallen Saruman from being eliminated by a
corruption check. Cannot be duplicated.

I suggest changing the wording to:
for a character in Saruman’s company (except Saruman) bearing a ring
or Palantir.
Hero Saruman only. Discard this card to give Saruman +2 to a
corruption check from a spell or while bearing a ring or Palantir.
Fallen Saruman only. Discard this card and a character in Saruman’s
company to prevent him from being eliminated by a

It still seems rather lengthy. The only other possibility I could think of was:

for a character in Saruman’s company bearing a ring
or Palantir. If Saruman is chosen, discard this card instead of tapping).
Fallen Saruman only. Discard this card and a character in Saruman’s
company to prevent him from being eliminated by a

Adunaphel Unleashed
I believe this should say "non-avatar" rather than "non-Wizard" for whom she can target, just to keep it broader.

Morannon
Change “(ignore effects forcing them to do nothing)” to “ignore effects forcing company to do nothing).”

Finally, Konrad clarified what exactly counts as a target for the purpose of Nazgul Are Abroad and Half an Eye, but his clarification only showed that players are going to have to do way to much work to figure out how these 2 cards work. So I propose simplifying these clauses.

The Nazgul Are Abroad and Half an Eye Open

Current: "Once per movement/hazard phase, a
hazard played that targets a Nazgûl creature increases the
hazard limit by one." and "Twice per turn, a hazard played that targets a unique Dragon increases the hazard limit by one."

We could instead say something like: "Once per turn, a hazard placed with this card does not count against the hazard limit," for TNAA. But it is not such a great solution, especially on Half, because it allows for the playing of hazards like the drake-reserving hazard for free. Instead, I think a more creative solution that is still relatively simple to understand would be to say:

"Once per turn, a hazard played from this card during a Nazgul attack does
not count against the hazard limit," and

"Twice per turn, a hazard played from this card during a unique Dragon attack does not count against the hazard limit."

If we agree that this mechanic is understandable, it would accomplish what we want--bolstering attack hazards--while limiting potential abuse (you would at least need to get off an attack to benefit from playing hazs for free).

That's it for the cards--

Frodo
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I figured out a way to create set expansion symbols, using a rough silhouette of the backpack-carrying Bilbo that is in the blue image Thorsen uploaded which will be our VSet 1 cover art.

I attached a jpg illustrating these symbols on a card to this post. Do we think this is a nice idea, or does it really add nothing? If you like it, which is better: the left one that has white border around the image, or the right one with no white border? I can resize them too, of course.

Frodo
Attachments
Expansion Symbol Example.jpg
Expansion Symbol Example.jpg (593.02 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

No white border. Love the rephrasing work. All around thumbs up from me! [-me_wh-]

(That was the closest I could get to a thumbs up. ;) )
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

High Five! :D
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

On First of the Order: the last one with least text seems clear enough to me... go with that one.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
marcos
Council Member

no white border is better
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hello Everyone,

Last card, I promise :lol:

THEY RIDE TOGETHER
Thorsten made a comment about this card that I now support. Basically, if using this card before one’s final MP-scoring turn, the current version which says "tap to move again if they move to a non-darkhaven not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth" allows for movement from Minas Morgul haven to Dead Marshes, then bouncing back to MM, for an easy draw and points. (Other easy movements are possible too, of course, but this one trumps.)

Wouldn’t it be more interesting if the easiest, shortest path a player could choose was not Dead Marshes, but rather Henneth Annun, or the southern borderholds/ruins? So the card would simply have to say “tap to move again if they move to a Ruins and Lair, Border or Free-hold,” which is actually shorter and easier than the previous, anyway.

Keep in mind a player could always end his turn at ANY site--darkhaven, shadow-hold, whatever--this simply prevents bouncing off of them.

Frodo
marcos
Council Member

Frodo wrote:Hello Everyone,

Last card, I promise :lol:

THEY RIDE TOGETHER
Thorsten made a comment about this card that I now support. Basically, if using this card before one’s final MP-scoring turn, the current version which says "tap to move again if they move to a non-darkhaven not in or adjacent to Gorgoroth" allows for movement from Minas Morgul haven to Dead Marshes, then bouncing back to MM, for an easy draw and points. (Other easy movements are possible too, of course, but this one trumps.)

Wouldn’t it be more interesting if the easiest, shortest path a player could choose was not Dead Marshes, but rather Henneth Annun, or the southern borderholds/ruins? So the card would simply have to say “tap to move again if they move to a Ruins and Lair, Border or Free-hold,” which is actually shorter and easier than the previous, anyway.

Keep in mind a player could always end his turn at ANY site--darkhaven, shadow-hold, whatever--this simply prevents bouncing off of them.

Frodo
i agree only for the sake of finishing this madness of 9 rws riding togheter :lol:

Return to “Development”