Exchanging FW site type

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Theo

MEFW wrote:The play of certain cards can change the type of sites that your companies may use (e.g., Plotting Ruin, Heart Grown Cold, etc.). When this happens, immediately exchange any affected site cards already in play with the corresponding site cards of the proper type.
My concern is the availability of those site cards, if a player needs to exchange but doesn't have the corresponding site card. As far as I know, there is still no guidance on this from the rules, other than:
CRF --Tournament Rules -- Sites wrote:If you play a hazard forcing a Fallen-wizard to change site alignments, and he does not have the other version of the site he is moving to, you must provide it for him. After that it is his responsibility to provide sites.
This does not cover situations for any of:
  1. The hazard player does not have the site.
  2. The company is not moving;
  3. No opponent has played a hazard;
I found some earlier discussion here about when the company changes from overt to covert because of losing all non-half-orcs. But set that aside for now.

For (a), in the CRF implication that the hazard can't be played unless the player has all of the replacements? But what if it doesn't affect the current company, but a later company in the same movement hazard phase, where the site "moving to" hasn't been revealed yet? Do you back up an entire phase?

Examples for (b) are straightforward: Heart Grown Cold or Plotting Ruin affecting squatting companies.

I haven't thought of how (c) could happen without (b).

---

The simplest workaround would be that all sites currently in play remain unswapped unless any of the players volunteers to make the swap. But then should the "use" wording also prevent companies at the unswapped sites from playing any resources/characters that require the site? (ex: Marvel's Told is allowed, but items/factions/allies/characters etc. aren't.) I think this would also cover the earlier overt-to-covert case.

Thoughts?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I once really cheezed that by just not including the minion versions of sites in my deck. Since my opponent was Hero, Heart Grown Cold was worthless. :)

From a tournament perspective, the simplest solution is to have the tournament organizer have site cards (even proxies) available if needed.

As far as the wording, ICE often forgot that companies didn't have to move in the movement/hazard phase. That would be something worth updating.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”