Proposition about The Hobbit/King Under the Mountain

To fulfill a scenario a player has to meet all deck building requirements during the whole game, and additionally the winning requirements for a certain scenario at the end of a game. There are 16 wizard scenarios and 6 ringwraith scenarios...

Moderator: Darksatin

KakitaBen

Hello all,

As we saw at Lure XXII tournament there is a problem with this scenario. To easy to reach in difficult.

So I propose two modifications.

First call it back The Hobbit !

Second, this Errata:

Difficult : King under the Mountain is in play. The Arkenstone or Returned Exiles is in play. A company with Bilbo has successfully played an item, an ally or a faction at The Lonely Mountain, while one of its characters is King Under The Mountain. Bilbo is at Bag-end with The Mithril-Coat.

Then we can discuss the obligation for Bilbo to be in the starting company but it doesn't fit with my character less deck so ... :D
Darksatin

1) Originally, the name of this scenario was "The Hobbit". But everyone called it "King under the Mountain". And Bilbo was not even played, until his presence was mandatory in the difficult version.

2) Why not, but you need 2 turns to move from The Lonely Mountain to Bag End. It would be frustrating to not succeed the difficult version because of this.

Another proposal:

Easy: King under the Mountain is in play. The Arkenstone or Returned Exiles is in play.

Medium: King under the Mountain is in play. The Arkenstone and Returned Exiles is in play. A company has successfully played an item, an ally or a faction at The Lonely Mountain, while one of its characters is King Under The Mountain.

Difficult: King under the Mountain is in play. The Arkenstone and Returned Exiles is in play. A company with Bilbo has successfully played an item, an ally or a faction at The Lonely Mountain, while one of its characters is King Under The Mountain. Bilbo is wearing The Mithril-coat and Sting.

??? maybe too many unique cards to play ?
KakitaBen

Darksatin wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:02 pm

2) Why not, but you need 2 turns to move from The Lonely Mountain to Bag End. It would be frustrating to not succeed the difficult version because of this.

can be done in one turn. And I think every fail on hard scenario is frustrating :D. By the way in my experience on the scneario I stayed many turns after playing the king, squating the new dwarf hold and just playing hounds. It will oblige the player to take risk on moving Bilbo back to bag end before calling council.

To comment your proposal, I think adding "and" for the arkenstone and exiles won’t change anything because they were already both played. (10 MP points so …)
Palying sting is interesting, cant easily be done with armory after playing the king and finaly it’s 6 unique cards needed to fulfill the scenario, could be a lot.

To complete my thought, this scenario is no so hard because the key card is easy to get (king under the mountain). A sacrifice and old truch (one not two … :roll: ) and it’s done. Then you just have to squat there and eventually move to the Lonely mountain if you do not defeat Smaug at Home.
Few risk in regard of other scenario where you have to travel through dark land or underdeeps.
The other point is that you get a bunch of MP point with the needed cards. I think with my deck it’s around 40 MP.
Taladhan

Heyhey to all,

an interesting discussion so far. Many szenarios are possible to manage in different ways and 4 Dwarven Decks in a tournament are a big risk/challenge for their players at first... :wink:

I like the name `The Hobbit´, but the key card for this szenario to fullfill `easy´ is ..... King under the mountain. If you can´t play it or if you loose it you have not fullfilled any difficulty of that szenario - that´s a big risk compared to many other szenarios. So the name - King under the mountain - is a good choice i suppose.

I also think too many unique item requirements and a szenario won´t work or could be destroyed too easily by the opponent.

And there are good hazard strategies to kill this szenario. Influence, corruption and cards which deal with automatic attacks to mention a few :wink: .....

To have Bilbo in the starting company is a balanced proposal. It is not so easy to keep him alive, in the company during the whole journey. For telling the Hobbit story in this szenario you could add for `difficult´ and a gold ring was played on Bilbo in the misty mountains ( could be added: after facing an orc attack (so you cannot cancel it)). You can manage that of course but it needs cards in the deck for that and a round to play it winning just 1 point but 1 corruption too.

I hope there will be always a king under the mountain and three cheers for the Dwarves and a big hug to all hobbits!

So long and dongelong

Thomas
Dongelong
KakitaBen

Taladhan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:09 pm
I like the name `The Hobbit´, but the key card for this szenario to fullfill `easy´ is ..... King under the mountain. If you can´t play it or if you loose it you have not fullfilled any difficulty of that szenario - that´s a big risk compared to many other szenarios.
I also think too many unique item requirements and a szenario won´t work or could be destroyed too easily by the opponent.
I desagree a few on this point. King of Dale needs Bard, you lose him it’s over for the scenario. The Servants of Manwe needs Lindion and Gwaihir or the eagles. Reforging needs Anduril. Firstborn it’s 7 unique cards in difficult. And so on with Rohirrim, The Shire, Return of the King, etc.
In many scenarios you will find the «key» card to fullfill it and/or a bunch of unique card to reach it at his maximum difficulty.
In the other scenarios you have restrictions to balance the difficulty. No wizard, no item except, only this or this character, etc.
Taladhan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:09 pm And there are good hazard strategies to kill this szenario. Influence, corruption and cards which deal with automatic attacks to mention a few :wink: .....
Like every other I will say.

Taladhan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:09 pm To have Bilbo in the starting company is a balanced proposal. It is not so easy to keep him alive, in the company during the whole journey. For telling the Hobbit story in this szenario you could add for `difficult´ and a gold ring was played on Bilbo in the misty mountains ( could be added: after facing an orc attack (so you cannot cancel it)). You can manage that of course but it needs cards in the deck for that and a round to play it winning just 1 point but 1 corruption too.
I really like this idea it’s very storyline and add difficulty without using an unique card. Great proposal :)
Sam.Gamdschie

Although, I did not participate in the tournament, it’s a strong indicator that the „King under the mountain“-scenario is too easy.
From my perspective, adding additional unique cards for the difficult version, is not such a big issue as already several other scenarios rely on many unique cards.
I like all versions: either Bilbo in Bag End with a Mithril-coat, Bildbo wearing Mithril-coat and Sting or Bilbo getting a Gold Ring after an orc-attack.
However, I would chose the most difficult version for now, which seems to be the first proposal. As long as only 9 of 21 scenarios were played in the tournament, the first 9 should be shifted to become more difficult. After tournaments show that we shifted too much, we can revert this and chose an easier option.

My 2 cents,

Sam
Co-founder of the Hamburg Scenarios and Former Slave of Lure's Price Ceremonies

Return to “Hamburger Scenario”