The Progressive Scenarios Rules

To fulfill a scenario a player has to meet all deck building requirements during the whole game, and additionally the winning requirements for a certain scenario at the end of a game. There are 16 wizard scenarios and 6 ringwraith scenarios...

Moderator: Darksatin

Darksatin

So, before the Lure 2023 event, it is time for an update of the progressive scenario rules. These are mainly clarifications or reformulations. Only 2 major changes:
- the TPs for several scenarios fulfilled. There is no truly satisfactory solution. Let's try this one.
- an alternate Wizard for the Gollum's Fate scenario; it was really too difficult to play it without Gandalf.
Unfortunately, no new scenarios. But I have some ideas. We'll discuss it at the castle.

Rules Update 02.23:

* "Wizard's choice":

At the beginning of each game, before the character draft, each player makes a 2 dice-roll.

The player with the highest result (re-roll in case of a tie) can choose between these two options:
- select a Wizard and add three copies of this avatar to his play deck (showing them to his opponent). He will not be allowed to play a copy of another Wizard during this game.
- choose to play first (or not)

The other player:
- if his opponent has not chosen a Wizard, the other player must do it (or declare that he plays without a Wizard). If he selects a Wizard, he adds three copies of this avatar to his play deck (showing them to his opponent). He will not be allowed to play a copy of another Wizard during this game.
- if his opponent has chosen a Wizard, he must choose to play first (or not).

When your opponent chooses a Wizard, you must put all the copies of this same avatar from your deck or your sideboard in your "out of play reserve" and you can add three copies of another Wizard from your reserve to your deck or your sideboard.
(from a Belgian variant)

Extra cards (replacement Wizard cards, replacement specific avatar cards) come from your "out of play reserve" (not from your sideboard).

* Several scenarios fulfilled:
In that case, you get 7 tournament points. If one of these scenarios is medium, 8 tournament points ; if one of these scenarios is difficult, 9 tournament points.

2 # Gollum's Fate scenario:
Exception: if the optional rule with the Wizard's choice is used, you can select Saruman as your Wizard if your opponent has chosen to play Gandalf.

12 # The Daughters of Vaiya scenario:
Remark: "No Wizard may be played" means that no Wizard card may be included in your deck, your character pool or your sideboard.

14 # The Great Greenwood scenario:
Read: Resource Marshalling Point cards….
KakitaBen

I love those clarifications and most of all the «out of play reserve». A good concept. May be we can find a short description of it to avoid misunderstood. Even if the name is pretty clear, there is always some people with undrestanding trouble :)

out of play reserve : contain cards that you can bring to the tournement but you are not allowed to play nor add in your deck, character pool or sideboard, except if rules state otherwise. Cards can be brought to this reserve during the game (character from the pool after draft, eleminated cards, etc.)

And a question, is it mandatory to have 3 copies of the same avatar when I select a wizard ? with only 2 copies of the same avatar my deck become illegal ?

Thanks for your work by the way.
Darksatin

If you select a wizard you prevent your opponent from playing it.
So you must have 3 copies of it (it's a constraint).
KakitaBen

oki good to know it before the tournament, thanks for the reply
Langloude

Update and new scenarios for Shrel-Kain provided by Darksatin.
Attachments
Progressive Scenarios Rules Update 05-23 Shrel-kain.pdf
(358.23 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
KakitaBen

Hello guys, after playing the Sentinel of Numenor during Thionville's event I feel the scenario is pretty balanced.
Maybe two adjustments, having the stone erech is pretty easy but keaping it not so...
So I propose easy : "Sentinels of Numénor" is in play, with at least 3 factions.
For 3 of these recruited factions, a different character with the corresponding home site is in play.
Palantir of Annuminas has been stored or is in play.

Medium is ok and difficult maybe we can add one faction to make it a little more difficult (there are 7 faction playable on sentinels):
Difficult:
"Sentinels of Numénor" is in play, with at least 5 factions.
For 4 of these recruited factions, a different character with the corresponding home site is in play.
Palantir of Annuminas has been played at Lossadan Cairn. It has been stored or it is in play.
Stone of Erech is in play.
Darksatin

Kakitaben, I am OK with your proposal.
After play testing, I will think about rewriting the other 2 new scenarios.
"Magic Rings" seems easy and "Lost Raiders" too difficult.
KakitaBen

I will test the raider before giving my point of view. I I'm preparing a deck.
Darksatin

So, before the Lure 2024 event, it is time for an update of the progressive scenario rules. Mainly, 3 new scenarios and a modified system for the beginning of the game.

* MP points are renamed Victory points.

* At the beginning of each game, before the character draft, each player makes a 2 dice-roll.

The player with the highest result (re-roll in case of a tie) chooses immediately between these two options:
Option 1: select a Wizard (or declare playing without a Wizard)
Option 2: choose to play first (or not)

The other option is automatically assigned to the player with the lowest result.

The player with Option 1 selects a Wizard and add three copies of this avatar to his play deck (showing them to his opponent). He will not be allowed to play a copy of another Wizard during this game. If he declares playing without a Wizard, he will be not allowed to play any copy of any Wizard during this game.

When your opponent chooses a Wizard, you must put all the copies of this same avatar from your deck or your sideboard in your "out of play reserve" and you can add three copies of another Wizard from your reserve to your deck or your sideboard.

See below for the procedure for the "specific" avatar cards.

The character draft takes place as usual (5 characters maximum, 20 maximum mind).

Then, each player draws 8 cards from his play deck. Mulligan can occur (rule 1.8).

And then, at this stage, the other player can activate the Option 2 : choose to play first (or not).

(from a Belgian variant)

If this optional rule is in effect, the following procedure is used for the "specific" avatar cards : if a player does not play with his expected avatar, he can exchange up to 3 "specific" avatar cards for the same number of "specific" cards of his new avatar (he shows these cards to his opponent). Replacements cards must take place at the same place: deck or sideboard.

The "specific" avatar cards:
Alatar: The Hunt
Gandalf: Hobbit-lore, Narya
Pallando: Eyes of Mandos
Radagast: Herb-lore
Saruman: First of the Order

Extra cards (replacement Wizard cards, replacement specific avatar cards) come from your "out of play reserve" (not from your sideboard).

* A scenario modification :

21 : Heirlooms of Eärendil

WR :
Medium:
Bilbo has played at least twice Marvels Told.
5 different items among : Enruned Shield, Bow of Dragon-horn, Arrows Shorn of Ebony, Habergeon of Silver, Scabbard of Chalcedony, Valiant Sword, Adamant Helmet, Emerald of the Mariner are in play and borne by any characters among Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Arwen and Aragorn (or Strider).

* Three new scenarios:

22 : Sentinels of Numénor

DR: Only Dunadan characters can be recruited (but you can play a wizard).

WR:

Easy:
"Sentinels of Numénor" is in play, with at least 3 factions.
For 3 of these recruited factions, a different character with the corresponding home site is in play.
Stone of Erech has been played.

Medium:
"Sentinels of Numénor" is in play, with at least 4 factions.
Palantir of Annuminas has been stored or is in play.

Difficult:
"Sentinels of Numénor" is in play, with at least 5 factions.
For 4 of these recruited factions, a different character with the corresponding home site is in play.
Palantir of Annuminas has been played at Lossadan Cairn. It has been stored or it is in play.

23 : Raiders of the Lost Artefacts

DR: You can not recruit Dwarven or Hobbit characters.

WR:

Easy: One of your companies has travelled from a surface site in Angmar to another surface site in Rohan (or Gap of Isen) (or vice versa), only by under-deeps movement.
One "To the Uttermost Foundations" has been stored.
Dwarven Light-stone or Noldo-lantern is in play.
Dragon Helm or Aiglos is in play.

Medium: One of your companies has travelled from a surface site in Angmar to another surface site in Rohan (or vice versa), only by under-deeps movement.
Dwarven Light-stone or Noldo-lantern is in play.
Dragon Helm and Aiglos are in play.

Difficult: One of your companies has travelled from a surface site in Angmar to another surface site in Rohan (or vice versa), only by under-deeps movement.
Dragon Helm, Dwarven Light-stone, Noldo-lantern and Aiglos are in play.
An item you have successfully placed « off to the side » under a Great Secrets Buried There is in play.

Reminder: you may not consider marshalling points associated with a company at an under-deeps site for the purposes of calling the Free Council.

24 : Many Magic Rings in this World

DR:
How to use the power of a Magic Ring:
- Magic Ring of Courage: for a warrior character, defeat a non-detainment strike with a minimum value of 11
- Magic Ring of Lore: for a sage character, tap to use a palantir
- Magic Ring of Nature: for a ranger character, tap to cancel a non-detainment attack against his company
- Magic Ring of Stealth: for a scout character, tap this ring to cancel a non-detainment strike against himself
- Magic Ring of Words: for a diplomat character, influence successfully a faction with this ring bonus

WR:
Easy: 3 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 3 different characters. These characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring.

Medium: 4 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 4 different characters. These characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring.

Difficult: 5 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 5 different characters. 4 of these characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring
Goblin King

These are fantastic!
gollum51

Dominique,
I have read your modifications for scenario 24. I think that the current wording contains several loopholes.

Eg : easy “3 rings have been borne by 3 different characters. … »:
Assume that you have rings 1,2,3 and characters A, B and C. I assume that you want A to use ring 1, B to use ring 2 and C to use ring 3 (for example) to succeed.
Now assume that character A has ring 1,2 and 3 and gives all three to B after having used ring 1.Then B uses ring 2 and 3. In that case I would claim that WR have been achieved “3 different magic rings have been borne by different characters. Each character has used his ring once”. But it is probably not what you had in mind.

So I suggest the following wording (if that is what you actually mean):
easy/medium “3/4 characters have each used at least once the power of a different magic ring”
Hard: same as medium + “a fifth character has borne a 5th different ring”

Also, Magic rings are non unique. With the current wording, three magic ring of lore (for example) will literally count as three different rings for this scenario. Is this what you meant? If they should not count as different and you want players to use different types of magic rings (eg for hard you want players to get all 5 types of rings) you could speak of “magic rings of a different type” rather than “different magic rings”.
Darksatin

:) The magic rings must be different and must have different powers. The characters must be different too.
Here is the wording it could give (but it is not very "elegant"):

WR:

Easy: 3 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 3 different characters. These characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring.

Medium: 4 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 4 different characters. These characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring.

Difficult: 5 different magic rings with different powers have been borne by 5 different characters. 4 of these characters have used at least once the power of their magic ring
gollum51

Thanks.
Indeed the wording is not elegant. But at least you have clarified my questions. :D
Darksatin

A little update before the Grey Havens tournament in April:

22 : Sentinels of Numénor

DR: Only Dunadan characters can be recruited (but you can play a wizard).
Sentinels of Numénor card : read «cannot be duplicated by a given player »

Return to “Hamburger Scenario”