The Northern Wastes -- Deck building info on regions, sites, and resources

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

CDavis7M

With the announcement of The Northern Wastes being the next DC set for publication I have gone back to building my NW deck. I was struggling a bit to build it before and so here are some notes on the new cards (focusing only on NW set). This is a work in progress. These notes include snippets of for inspiration along with notes on regions, sites, what resources/events and characters are playable there. And also some deck ideas.

The Northern Waste:
There are 15 new regions shown in blue (the Sundering Seas is also included but is not-shown and off to the West)

Introduction to the Northern Waste:
"[The Lossoth] are a strange, unfriendly people, remnant of the Forodwaith, Men of far-off days, accustomed to the bitter colds of the realm
of Morgoth. Indeed those colds linger still in that region, though they lie hardly more than a hundred leagues north of the Shire. The Lossoth house in the snow, and it is said that they can run on the ice with bones on their feet, and have carts without wheels. They live mostly, inaccessible to their enemies, on the great Cape of Forochel that shuts off to the northwest the immense bay of that name; but they often camp on the south shores of the bay at the feet of the [Blue] Mountains."

—The Return of the King, p. 321
Forodwaith, the Northern Waste, is a land like no other. Home and refuge to the Lossoth, its vast tundras, unconquered mountain ranges and ice-mantled bays irresistibly beckon the bold and the adventurous. Here, at the ends of Middle-earth, the traveler may behold wonders and terrors beyond compare.

Join the iceberg-dwelling Sea-hunters as they stalk the mighty whales of Forochel's bay, waging a never-ending battle forsurvival against the elements. Explore the cyclopean ruins of Morgoth's ancient domain—the Rifts of the Underdeeps, the Stairs to Hell, the Threshold of Angband and the volcanic crater of Morgoth's Well. Brave the arctic cold of the Landless Land, where none but the mysterious Snow-elves dare to tread, seeking the fabled source of Helecthil, the radiance of the night sky at the summit of the world.

But beware, for ice and snow are not the only perils of this forbidding land. Foul legacies of Morgoth—Orcs, Trolls, dragons and other horrors—prowl their ancient homelands still. The dreaded Sled-horde, merciless minions of the Witch-king of Angmar, raid and plunder the Lossoth year after year, relentlessly hunting down any who refuse to pay worship to the Dark Lord. Jäänainen, Siren of the Ice, and Eloeklo, Demon of the North Wind, haunt the wintry wastes, hungering after the blood of the Free Peoples.

Yet there is hope that Forodwaith may one day become free of the unnatural banes it has suffered under the ill-will of Morgoth and his successors. The Valar, the immortal powers that govern the world for Good, have not forgotten the Northern Waste— Yavanna the Earth Mistress weeps for the Wounded Land, and the power of her tears contends ever with the poison of Morgoth's malice, while Irmo the Lord of Dream speaks through visionary portents, giving counsel to those who would redress the land's hurts; together, they summon champions to their cause, to lend aid in a mystical quest of cosmic proportions. Dare you join in that quest?

Hero Regions, Sites, and Characters in the Northern Waste:

Forochel Area:
[-me_wi-] Forochel ( [-me_ha-] Rivendell )
  • [-me_bh-] Lossadan Camp: Lossoth Man Faction
  • [-me_rl-] Lossadan Cairn: Minor, Major, Greater Palantiri. Undead 2@8.
  • [-me_bh-] Ruskea Vene: Losrandir Animal faction, Lossoth Man faction
    • Karhunkäsi 2M 0DI 4/8 Warrior Man.
    • Karvainen 2/8 4M 1DI Sage Diplomat Man.
    • Vanha (any [-me_bh-] in NW) 4M 1DI Ranger Sage Dunadan.
  • [-me_rl-] Thaurung: Minor, Major, Hollow by the Left Breast. Animals 7@4.
  • [-me_rl-] Gondring's Lair: Minor, Major, Gold Ring, (Token of Goodwill). Dragon 1@13.
    [-me_wi-] Everdalf ( [-me_ha-] Rivendell ) -- North of Forochel
    • [-me_rl-] Bernastath: Minor, Major. Men 4@6 (Brigands and Thief)
  • [-me_bh-] Leiri: Lossoth Man faction. (search # cards for Lossoth)
    • Karvainen 4M 1DI 2/8 Sage Diplomat Man
  • [-me_fh-] Puolihmisten Satama: Umli Traders Umit faction (discard item).
    • Marin 4M 0DI Warrior Ranger Umit
[-me_cs-] East Bay of Forochel ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Forochel, West of Everdalf
  • [-me_bh-] Jääkylät: Aerfaroth Man Faction, Merikoirat Animal faction. Men Each@6.
    • An ice berg-delving of the Merimetsästäjät.
    • Pitää Kalasta 3M 1DI 3/8 Warrior Diplomat Man.
[-me_cs-] West Bay of Forochel ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- West of the East Bay
  • None
[-me_wi-] Lindalf ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Everdalf
  • [-me_rl-] Amon Anlug: Minor, Major, Hoard. Drake 2@10
  • [-me_bh-] Hyvät Kalat (Port*): Helechoth Man faction, Lossoth Man faction.
    • Karhunkäsi 2M 0DI 4/8 Warrior Man
  • [-me_bh-] Ligr Wodaize Berne: Berninga Man faction. Hives Animal faction* (9 Rings for Mortal Men set)
    • Raudabern 6M 1DI Warrior Ranger Man
[-me_wi-] Rast Losnaeth ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- West of Lindalf, North of East Bay
  • [-me_rl-] Kylmätalo: Information, Minor, Major, Greater Palantiri. Trolls 2@9.
  • [-me_rl-] Linnarthurras: Information. (Elves remove corruption).
  • [-me_bh-] Pieni Satama (Port): Aerfaroth Man faction.
    • Pitää Kalasta 3M 1DI 3/8 Warrior Diplomat Man
[-me_wi-] Narthalf ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Rast Losnaeth and East Bay
  • [-me_sh-] Eithel Morgoth (Volcano): Minor, Major, Greater. Trolls 3@9
  • [-me_sh-] The Under-Forges (under Eithel Morgoth, adjacent to The Iron-deeps): Minor, Major, Greater. Orcs 4@8 and Opponent's [-me_rl-] creature.
  • [-me_sh-] Mornost: Minor, Major, Greater, Hoard* if [-me_rl-]. Orcs 4@8 and 3@9.
  • [-me_sh-] Pendrath na-Udûn: Minor, Major, A More of Less Decent Giant. Drake 1@12.
  • [-me_rl-] Thilgon's Tomb: Minor, Major, Greater* (faced attack keyed to site or discard Lost Knowledge). Traps 2@10.
[-me_wi-] Minheldolath ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- West of Narthalf and North of East Bay
  • [-me_ha-] Evermist: Elves of Evermist Elf faction, Ring of Healing. [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_cs-] [-me_wi-] from Rivendell. [-me_fd-] [-me_cs-] [-me_cs-] [-me_wi-] from Grey Havens.
    • Kénwe Foryaren 3M 0DI 3/9 Ranger Elf
    • Nestador 8M 3DI 4/8 Sage Diplomat Elf
  • [-me_rl-] Maglgolodh's Cave: Minor, Major, Greater, Hoard battle-gear, Ring of the Protector. Undead/Dunadan 1@12.
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] Thorenaer ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Lindalf and Narthalf
  • [-me_rl-] Canadras: Minor, Major, Gold Ring, Galgrin's Hammer. Dragon 1@13
  • [-me_rl-] Orod Certhas: Information, The Crist-i-Sûlhoth. (Can store Lost Knowledge/Information). Spirits 2@7.
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] Gondalf ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Narthalf, Minheldolath, and West Bay
  • [-me_rl-] Achrond (Port): Information, Minor, Ivory Hoard*. Wolves 3@7.
  • [-me_rl-] Ei Missä: Information, Minor, Merikoirat Animal faction*. Wolves 2@7.
[-me_cs-] Ekkaia ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Gondalf, Narthalf, and Thorenaer
  • None
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] Dor Bendor ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- North of Ekkaia
  • [-me_fh-] Helloth (Haven for healing and hazards): Lossidil Elf faction.
    • Los'pindel 7M 2DI 2/8 Scout Ranger Sage Elf
    • Heledwen (Elf-hold?) 4M 0DI 4/8 Warrior Scour Elf
    • Striuk'ir (Any site in [-me_wi-] in NW) 4M 1DI Ranger Sage Elf
Talath Uichel Area:
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] Talath Uichel ( [-me_ha-] Evermist) -- East of Everdalf and Lindalf, North of Dragon Gap (which is North of Gundabad and Anduin Vales)
  • [-me_sh-] Urdic Camp: Minor battle-gear, Major battle-gear, retrieve Skis and Fur-coats*. Men 5@7.
  • [-me_fh-] Vasaran Ahjo: Umli Traders.
    • Galgrinic 4M 1DI 3/7 Warrior Sage Umit
    • Róin 2M 0DI Warrior Scout Umit
[-me_sl-] Foroviakain ( [-me_ha-] Lorien ) -- East of Talath Uichel, North of Dragon Gap (which is North of Gundabad and Anduin Vales)
  • [-me_sh-] Kala Dulakurth: Minor, Major, Greater battle-gear, Dark Numbers*. Wolves 2@7 and 3@8.
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] Talath Oiohelka ( [-me_ha-] Rhûbar) -- East of Talath Uichel, North of Foroviakain and Withered Heath
  • [-me_rl-] Celeb-Ost (Ancient Dwarf Ruin): Information, Minor, Major, Gold Ring, Map to Mithril*. Traps 2@7 and Undead Dwarf 1@10.
[-me_cs-] [-me_cs-] [-me_cs-] The Sundering Seas ( [-me_ha-] Grey Havens ) -- West of West Bay
  • [-me_rl-] Tol Morwen: Minor, Major, Anglachel. Undead 3@9 and Opponent's [-me_cs-] creature.
Sites in old regions:
  • [-me_rl-] Andoloki in Numeriador: Minor, Major, Gold Ring. Drake 1@10.
  • [-me_dh-] Barad Lughilsarik in Gundabad. Enchantment Each@12. Opponent's Angmar creature.
  • [-me_dh-] Litash in Angmar: Information, Minor, Major, Gold Ring. Orcs 3@7 and Men 2@10.
Hero Resources in the Northern Waste:
  • Ally - Great Seagull playable by Elf/Dunadan/Wizard at tapped non-Dragon, non-[-me_ha-] in [-me_cs-] in NW or adjacent.
  • Minor item - Minor Spell-bead at a non-Dragon [-me_rl-] in NW.
  • Minor item - Beadmaker's Healing Runeknife at [-me_rl-] in NW
  • Major item - Beadmaker's Hunting Runeknife at [-me_rl-] in NW.
  • Major item - Gaerennon at [-me_rl-] in [-me_cs-].
  • Greater item - Greater Spell-bead at non-Dragon [-me_rl-] in NW if discarded Lost Knowledge.
  • Special item - Tear of Yavanna at [-me_rl-] in NW with Elves and Sages.
  • Information Event - Cembereth (can store trophy for MP)
  • Event - Dreams of Beleriand (works with Dreams of Lore)
  • Event - Friend of the Kelvar (2MP if 4 Animal factions)
  • Event - Friends of Winter (3MP if Aerfaroth, Helechoth and Lossoth factions in play)
  • Event - Great Song of Awakening (used/tapped after rotating Land Reborn, up to 4MP)
  • Event - Hithailin (+1MP for each stored information at Orod Certhas)
  • Event - Land Reborn (Needs Radagast or manifestation Aiwendil. +2MP for each Tear of Yavanna + effects)
Hero Deck Ideas in the Northern Waste:
  • Tears of Yavanna and Land Reborn (and if you have 4 hours, Great Song of Awakening)
  • Radagast Animal Friendship (new and old factions and allies)
  • Hoard/Palantiri gathering (alternative to Withered Heath, Angmar, Mordor, etc)
  • Hippie bead-making arts and crafts with spirit-naming and "Appeasement" song-making
  • Friends of Winter faction rally (combine with Hoard/Palantiri or with Bead-making)
  • Hithailin and Knowledge/Info storing at Orod Certhas (and if you have 6 hours, combine with Tears/Land Reborn/Great Song)

Minion Regions, Sites, and Characters in the Northern Waste:
Coming soon*

Minion Resources in the Northern Waste:
Coming soon*
Last edited by CDavis7M on Thu May 21, 2020 12:33 am, edited 20 times in total.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hey Chris,

that is pretty thorough, but please remember many NW mission cards will be remade into quests to make them more playable

the only true mistake I found it
Land Reborn (Needs Radagast. +2MP for each Tear of Yavanna + effects)
but you do not mention Aiwendil which would be the best way to play it for most companies
CDavis7M

Vastor Peredhil wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 pm Hey Chris,

that is pretty thorough, but please remember many NW mission cards will be remade into quests to make them more playable

the only true mistake I found it
Land Reborn (Needs Radagast. +2MP for each Tear of Yavanna + effects)
but you do not mention Aiwendil which would be the best way to play it for most companies
Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with the missions yet. Just trying to lay out the cards in this set to help organize things in my mind.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else as well.
Thuarval

Just looking through the card files as they are for Northern Wastes, and, unless I've missed something, there are only 4 Umli characters. Unless there are plans to expand that significantly, it seems a bit overburdened to add an entirely new race to the game for the sake of 4 characters. Thoughts?
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

well - TW set only has 6 (or 7 with the promo) hobbits - there are even less Wose if you would take these as sub race as we in DC do - :) Umli or Half-dwarves are rare - due to their cursed creation by the malice of Morgoth (which is a story in itself)

still so far there are 5 Umli thus far , though only 4 are in the NW set

your DC Team
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

overburdened
Sorry that you feel so weighed down with the knowledge of an extra race. But hey, every piece of advice or criticism counts, so can you explain why it's problematic to you?

To be fair (I'll help you out), there can be issues with a Half-race, stuff needs to be defined. For example, does an Umli faction count towards Alliance of Free Peoples? Can you play Dwarves upon You on an Umli? etc.
But, meccg is all about flavour, and having these guys around can add a lot of it, even if it means memorizing a few more clarifications. If you're playing meccg, you obviously got a big brain.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thuarval

Unless it is going to be fleshed-out as a theme, it has the potential to add a lot of questions and exceptions and potential errata, without bringing that much with it. DC is new to me yet, and I was unaware that Wose were a new race, according to DC. Adding complexity for complexity´s sake is a great way to inhibit new players from taking up the hobby. For my money, if something is added, it should to be important beyond flavour.
Hobbits is an unfair comparison, since they were actually the story. Okay, we don,t need Rosie, Ted and the Gaffer (although that would be cool ;)
I like the lore as much as anyone else, I was just wondering whether or not this would be developed enough to be more than an homage to it.
CDavis7M

Well, I think this case is not complexity for complexity's sake. The Umli are neat and you get new fun characters, sites, and resources to play their story.

But there are other instances where complexity and mechanics are added where it's not fun. Rolling for King Spider is fun. Rolling for Tear of Yavanna was not fun, so thankfully that is no more.

Soldiers of the Dark Lord waiting to be discarded until the end of the turn is a great mechanic. Meanwhile, Cursed Spell Bead requires card rotation to track corruption modifiers, and then it supposedly can trigger an undead attack, even though the card is actually discarded, so CSB is no longer in play after the failed CC and therefore it is no longer able to trigger the attack. But ignoring that flaw, does it even allow a hazard to be played during your opponent's organization phase? Or does it only work during the M/H phase? The mechanics are just too convoluted.

Return to “Dream Cards”