Worlds 2014

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.

Would you probably attend if Worlds 2014 were held in San Francisco, California, on...

Poll ended at Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm

July 18-20
9%
July 25-27
9%
August 1-3
10%
August 8-10
13%
August 15-17
8%
August 22-24
9%
August 29-31
10%
September 5-7
11%
September 12-14
11%
September 19-21
13%

Total votes: 103
zirilan

marcos wrote:lol :D
It was so incredible tempting that I simply could not resist to ask.. :D
Smaug

Hi guys,

sorry for posting 10 Times the same question, I got always an errror message when posting it and it was not displayed as new post :-(.
Finally I decide therefore to open an new topic and post it there. Funny enough, it worked then.

Cheers

Heiner
Beornd

Beornd wrote:No problem for me, if the Term will fixed early. I voted for september Term.
I think there is not a really good chance to fix the term in a appropriate time.
So i have to arrange my holidays in a different way because the cheap tickets are gone anyway.
Now i will concentrade to europeans in munich, if they will take place there.
Muad'Dib

Beornd wrote:
I think there is not a really good chance to fix the term in a appropriate time.
So i have to arrange my holidays in a different way because the cheap tickets are gone anyway.
Now i will concentrade to europeans in munich, if they will take place there.
The same here...
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Goblin King

I'm not sure where things are, but I'm willing to help schedule this event so that people who can make it, can plan to attend.
I've previously played MECCG tournaments on the coastal dock areas. I was not involved in setting that up, but I'm happy to start making calls and finding out.
Another option is to tie this event to a gaming convention in the area around that time of the year. Usually, players are happy to game at a larger game convention and the hotel rooms are available. Unfortunately, I don't know of any gaming conventions in San Francisco in that time of year. But here is a list of other possibilities.
PacifiCon is Aug 29 to Sept. 1 in San Jose
Big Bad Con is Oct. 17 to 19 in Oakland
Conqust Avalon is Nov 7 to 9.

Of course, I can get the Space and Schedule for a large event at Conquest Avalon because it is my local convention and I know the people who run it. They also run PacifiCon so I could get us in there as well.
I'd really love to make this happen.
Smaug

Hi guys,

I got meanwhile the info from Mark that the worlds will be held in San F. from 19 -21 of september and that he will reserve a from this week.

I guess his offical announcement will follow very soon!

Cheers

Heiner
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Hi everyone! I'm very sorry this took me so long to arrange. The first three locations I tried to reserve turned out not to work. I am now pleased to announce that Worlds 2014 will be in San Francisco, September 18-21, at a mansion in the east bay area. Here's a link to the location: 1500 East Juana Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94577. It's very close to the San Francisco Airport.

I will create a website in the coming days with more details. For now, here are some basic details:

As usual, people may arrive on Thursday, September 18, for some informal gaming. There will then be some events on Friday, September 19, such as hero-only one-deck, challenge deck, and sealed deck tournaments. Saturday, September 20, the main event will be the world championship semi-finals. In addition, we will have various less formal games. That evening, we will play the drinking game. :) Finally, on Sunday, September 21, we will have the world championship, as well as some informal gaming.

Please let me know as soon as you can whether you plan to come, and which nights you will sleep at the house. It is a very large house. I can accommodate as many as 30 gamers there. My plan is to charge $100/night per person on Friday and Saturday, but only $50/night on Thursday. If you come for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, you will owe me $250. If you come for just Friday and Saturday, you will owe me $200. I think this is pretty fair price. If people object, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. In addition, I will cook for everyone at least twice. For other meals, we will arrange things on our own.

I hope this is good news for everyone, and again, I apologize for the delay! Email me at mark.alfano@gmail.com with your RSVP as soon as possible! :D
http://www.alfanos.org
Muad'Dib

ATM i can say im not coming. Its too late for me, prices are going up every day. It becomes too expensive for me, especially accomodation is quite expensive :( I keep 10% if get some lucky shot with flight.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
stedanko

Just a suggestion Norwegian Airlines offers cheap flights from the EU to Oakland-SF airport. A lot of routes are new, and I wasn't aware of this until recently at least. Worth checking out.
Smaug

Hi Mark,

thanks for the organization. I will come on thursday I guess, so for 3 day. If Heike will join me is not clear at the moment, we will see. If yes I will stay for sure in the house. Otherwise may be I will stay together with her in a hotel in San Franzisco so that she can do better sightseeing. We will see, are their good connections to and from SanF all day/night? Just in case, if she as well would stay there?! She has to pay the same daily rate, or is it lower because she will not play?

Cheers

Heiner
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

A few things:

1) Yes, it's very easy to get to the house from several airports. San Francisco (SFO) is the first that comes to mind, but Oakland is just as good. You can also easily use the San Jose airport.

2) It's extremely easy to get to San Francisco from the house. There is a nearby train station that will take you to the city center and to/from SFO.

3) Is it reasonable to charge half-price for non-players staying at the house? $25/night for Thursday and $50/night for the other two nights? Unless someone objects, that's what I'll do.

4) Again, please do let me know when you make plans. The person from whom I'm renting the house would like a headcount.

Hope to see you soon in beautiful California!
Kjeld

Like Goblin King, I'm local to the Bay Area and might be able to help out a bit if you need someone here on the ground. Also, looking forward to the event, sounds like a lot of fun!
Smaug

Hi guys,

I just booked my flight (may be this is intersting for someone, may be not, who knows ;-)

Departure date: 18.09 from Frankfurt arriving in San F. at 14.25

Return date: 02.10.2014

Hope to see some more europeans there?!!!!

Cheers

Heiner
dirhaval

Great to hear about the date.
I am in limbo due to job interviewing...may be moving to Oregon!

So, can someone drive down to SanF and have a place to park his car
during the event too? Thank you.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

There's room for 5 cars to park at the house. Hope to see you there!

Return to “Worlds”