Worlds 2014

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.

Would you probably attend if Worlds 2014 were held in San Francisco, California, on...

Poll ended at Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm

July 18-20
9%
July 25-27
9%
August 1-3
10%
August 8-10
13%
August 15-17
8%
August 22-24
9%
August 29-31
10%
September 5-7
11%
September 12-14
11%
September 19-21
13%

Total votes: 103
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

UPDATED: Check page 3 of this thread for details about where Worlds 2014 will be. The event is scheduled for San Francisco, in the East Bay, September 18-21. RSVP to me at mark.alfano@gmail.com as soon as you make plans! :)

I guess it's not too early to start thinking about where to host Worlds 2014. This is a tentative suggestion, but I was thinking it might be nice to have it back in the USA again: in San Francisco. We have probably about 12-15 players (including both new players and veterans such as Gene Berry and Skye and Sean Sandborgh) on just the West coast of the United States who would attend. If Brian Min, Joe Bisz, Josh Hunholz, and some others from around the country come, I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 or even 25 US players.

San Francisco is one of the crown jewels of North America. Our plan would be to rent a space in the Presidio park, directly adjacent to the Golden Gate Bridge. I've attached a photo with the view. It's spectacular. There is an inn on the grounds of the Presidio where people could stay. Alternatively, since the transportation system in the city is quite good, it's possible to stay in a more exciting neighborhood, such as the Mission district.

Among the many things to see and do in San Francisco are the outdoor murals in the Mission, the old Spanish mission building itself, fisherman's wharf, the golden gate bridge, golden gate park, the redwood forests across the bay to the north, lots of great mexican food, shopping in and around union square, visiting Berkeley and Stanford universities, and much more.

Are people interested? If so, what weekend would be best?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 10.42.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 10.42.59 AM.png (336.04 KiB) Viewed 12559 times
http://www.alfanos.org
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

The only week I couldn't make it is Gencon 2014 (Aug. 14 - 17). Actually, if we pick one of the later dates I can advertise it at Gencon as well and maybe drum up some attendees.

MECCG at Gencon has been growing in popularity each year (up to 14 at both events this year!)
Mordakai
Council Member

I'd love to attend, but flying to the States it's just too expensive for me, that's why I'll not vote here, let the possible atendees decide among them.
Good luck and have fun.

Alvaro

PS: Just keep helding Worlds in Spain each 2 or 3 years, so I can afford attending :wink:
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Wow! This would be exciting. I would certainly come if it wasn't GenCon weekend, and ideally not DragonCon weekend (labor day weekend 8/31).

One very important thing to consider: just because it is Worlds, does not mean your average American player will come. In fact, *because* it is Worlds, many will stay away. We polled the American GenCon players and pretty much no one was interested in a constructed Nationals event. In other words, the interest in playing competitive constructive is very, very low. The Worlds tournament should ideally be designed like the last American Worlds tournament in NYC, where there were many other MECCG events. Specifically, there should be ARDA, dream cards, challenge deck, and hopefully a "Virtual Set #1" tournament again.

Frodo (Joe Bisz)
Muad'Dib

I would love to come but it depends on many things. Especially how much coins will have in my pocket next year. Thats why i wont vote, just will try to be there when you set the date. But for me best is september when rest people at my work have finished vacations.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i would love to come. and chances are good, if its taking place in september (exceot (19-21), cause i iwll start my sabbatical on sep 1st that year!
Beornd

No problem for me, if the Term will fixed early. I voted for september Term.
marcos
Council Member

hard to tell if i could manage to make it, but the later the better for me, therefore voted for september.
stedanko

It'd be my first look at Worlds, I'd have to check it out if it's that close. Later in the year is better for me.
Goblin King

If it is in San Francisco, I'm there, no mater what the date is. I'm happy to help organize etc. as well!
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

I can provide some prize support.
Smaug

Hi Marc,

I will come on any date so I will not vote for a special ;-)

Cheers

Heiner
dirhaval

Any time is good for me.
Benobiwan

Hello,

I'm a French MECCG player recently registered on council of Elrond.
I discover that a worlds tournament exist. I ust wanted to know how are selected th players that participate to this even?

is ther national tournament before or ist open tournament?
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Nowadays Worlds are open to everyone. You don`t need to (pre)qualify to attend.

Return to “Worlds”