652-Ardagor_Trolls

dirhaval

[updated whole thread on 12-17.17]

A spawn of the under-world and Angmar has been sent loose on Eriador. The Witchking has
promised Eriador to Ardagor A new winter has arrived. Harvests will be ruined by Spring freeze
or Autumn hail. First, he must rid Eriador of the infestation of dwarves. Cardolan first will fall.
That land must be made into tales of terror to haunt the living. A bit eastward to the Misty
Mountains and Gap of Rohan will be the domain for the half-troll. Ost-en-Edhil will be overrun
and any lost rings of lesser power will be found. Knowledge of their making will be learned by
the intelligent and crafty counterfeit.

Treasures of elves and dwarves will be stolen or found. Maps of the realm without stars must be
found. A Ring of Power lost by a dwarf-king during the war with elves in another age is rumored
to be in Eriador. Troll packs will be formed from the wild trolls of Rhudaur. They will be shock
troops. Tribes of orcs fleeing from the War of Dwarves and Orcs will be put under the heel of the
new Warlord of Eriador.

Ardagor is a Warlord - the only Grey player Warlord avatar. He will lead many trolls over land
and in the Under-Deeps to kill dwarves. He will not dedicate himself too much in the Underdeeps
since a fire demon has been spotted under Moria. Ardagor will lead the company to the
Under-deeps using Far Below the Deepest. He can surface in Angmar if he is weak and wounded.
Another company will influence factions and find a Dwarven Ring.
Near the end of the second deck, factions will go to war and attack the Blue Mountain Dwarfhold,

This avatar does not have issues playing minions since many are non-unique trolls.
This avatar seems fun to play for his out-of-the-way Lair, mixing Underdeep movement
with CvCC. Most of his sites will be Ruins. He may bother the Dwarf Minion player to steal the
slot for the Power decks. The hazard deck is troll creatures and their ability to cause havoc.
dirhaval

The resource deck had slight changes:
add Knowledge of Their Making mainly for the stage points,
add Great Army of the North

The hazard deck is now finished. You guessed it. Trolls; 18 creatures.
Hazard events include site hazards such as Siege.
No Way Forward is in the sideboard for use during the Warlord phase.

Each turn is forecast to learn about ability to play resources and hunt dwarves.
This avatar is expected to raid the Blue Mountains just before the end of the Councils.
Big, tough, and dumb trolls on a rampage.
dirhaval

The modified deck after 16 turns of the practice game is now ready.

Not much has changed except an emphasis to collect trophies instead
of burning. It is awkward to mix Under-deeps movement for this player.
I might exchange Anguriel for Bloodspiker - need to know if Durlach
is open for a trade.
dirhaval

This explains the deck changes from the 40-player practice game.
+
Anguirel replaces Bloodspike to help Durlach gain items on the surface. This switch did happen
after the first deck of the practice game.
Both Burning Rick, Cot, Tree cards and Unquenchable Flames were removed to let the player
gain MPs elsewhere. A Foul Paste removed.
+
x3 Of Which They Were Made and Lore of the Rings replaces
x3 Test of Fire and Secrets of Their Forgings. The trolls will store the gold rings until that stage
event is played on the avatar.
Heed Not the Defence added with Skies of Fire from Necromancer.
Prone to Violence is replaced by Tokens to Show. I think this player will be weaker against
Felagrog. That Ain’t No Secret added to access Lond Daer for tapping or Ostelen for ring testing.
Knowledge of Their Making could be used to enter Lond Daer.
+
The hazard deck was replaced with Mouth’s hazards. Now, Ardagor has 19 Orc creatures mainly
keyed to Wilderness. Witch-king Realm hazards (AA, IDBT, RS) extends the use of Orc-Guard
and Orc-Watch. Minions Stir and Redoubled Force now in the deck. Visits to Goblin-Gate or
Carn Dum will be lethal. Yes, Tidings of Bold Spies included. <laugh here> Tribal Banner and
Tribal Totem included to kill those bubbling dwarves. Waylaid, Wounded, and Orc-dragged will
take hobbits prisoners..maybe to Lond Daer. Rather not to Carn Dum. I want an attempt to be
made. I guess to Creb Durga so to cause movement in double Wilderness. Now only one copy of
Short Legs Are Slow and No Way Forward. Both are permanent-events. Politics added.
+
The characters had change. I wanted to move away from smart trolls (half-troll or black troll)
since what troll would take orders from a loose half-troll? I also wanted to maximize the use of
wild trolls. Araudagul and Brutal Retinue were replaced by two Old Trolls. This will force effort
to gain trophies for +2 direct influence. I did keep Troll-chief, but that minion will only be played
if the avatar is eliminated. I was thinking about using Hargrog if Indur decides to enter Eriador
for a second Court deck. That can allow a spirit-mage to join Ardagor replacing Horseman of the
Night. Dorelas was sent to the Necromancer deck to be replaced by another copy of Orc Shaman.
Old Troll will now be given Trifling Ring to control Shaman.
+
Some site changes were made. I want this avatar to be in central Eriador. He visits Arthedian for
three sites, but could play wolf allies at two others. I want him to visit Aden’s Secret Medical
Library for Records Unread. I thought about giving this player Grishmogh or Crebain from
Dunland (especially if an Indur spirit-mage) joins. If so, then a troll faction goes to Witchking
while Orcs of Angmar goes to Bolg. I think about this a lot of the consequences of minor
changes.
dirhaval

Ardagor stays in the Eriador Division and against Lord Balin.

Not much has changed. New minions Murtag and Rugrul added.

Stolen Knowledge event That Has Been Heard Before Tonight
is needed to reveal two hidden sites. Which is a pain, but
felt with strong muscles this will be easy to visit Bree
for the event, then move a short distance to the hidden site.

Knowledge of Their Making can be used instead.

What I like about this deck
Compact sites with trolls bearing mighty weaponry either by Black Mace,
Anguirel, a Ring of Power and mace-master.
Like the combination of orc and wolf creatures with the hazard events.
Nice to visit three free-holds.

What I do not like about this deck
Many table cards that will leave resource deck thin during Warlord Phase.
Lord Balin will not last long in his new colony.
Only one spirit-magic card starts in the whole deck.
Thought about including Wargs of the Tundra.

Deck file at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3153&p=40859

Return to “Showcase”