624-Durlach

dirhaval

Here is a card idea before I post his deck. No internet yet at my place. 3 weeks and counting. Gotta be a record.

I read Prison's Spell is Fading. That card has changed much. My first thoughts is that Durlach is regulated to
play only Flame of Udun and Master of Dread and Fear. If he can move to any haven then I would like the card.
The use of magic events does make his deck packed with cards just to move.
For now, the card idea below is to help Durlach move. The idea comes from MERP Northern Waste that
magic or spell use near the Well weakens the prison. Now, the counter on Prison's Spell is Fading is four.
That means an opponent may play so many events that the counter cannot move anymore.
If you read the Evermist deck, then you will see rituals to be played about 8x every 10 turns.
The deck I am making now for Durlach has 5 sorcery events. Durlach just needs to move 1-2 sites
from Under-forges for his weapon, Descent Through Fire (playable at Remains of Thang...) and
CvCC. Then the second deck will have him at Eithel Morgoth to influence factions and CvCC.
So he is not totally a loser.
However, he does need Flame of Udun in play for playing Prison's Spell is Fading. So this may
slow him down quite a bit.

THE WELL
Unique. Durlach Specific. The following applies when Durlach is at a site in Narthalf or at any of its adjacent sites. For every magic, spell and ritual event played by your opponents’ characters at a site in Narthalf, at the Under-Forges or moving to the Under-Forges, you can take a magic card from your discard pile to your hand. If Durlach is at any site in Narthalf, then you can take a magic card to your hand if your opponent plays the event in or moving to a site in Narthalf or its adjacent regions. If Master of Dread and Fear is played by Durlach, then you can take a magic card if your opponent plays such an event at a site or moving to a site in the Northern Waste.

Will Prison's Spell is Fading be discard if Flame of Udun is removed from play? I think not by the card text.
dirhaval

Durlach has long been investigating the weakness of his prison. Alas, he has find a way.
He has recruited a sorcerer to use magic in exchange for freedom for the balrog.
Agog will move on the surface recruiting factions and playing a runeknife that is
a bane to the Elves of Evermist's mission.
Lugronk will be in the under-deeps playing allies and finding special items. Herumor
must not be at the same site as the avatar. Sorcery events are provided first to
allow movement for Durlach else for offense. There is only one non-avatar magic user
in the deck. Runeknife of Risinth will be found for later attack to grab a Tear of Yavanna.

Roots of the Earth will be carved into a Darkhaven for later combat. The Well is a resource allowing
the fetching of magic events if another uses magic, spells, or rituals near the pit of lava.
This deck is ambitious in the many changes of fanu by the avatar. A turn by turn analysis
is given along with company composition for each fana throughout the game.

Master of Dread and Fear is the first fana, then Flame of Udun to weaken the prison.
Strangling Coils moves to play Roots of the Earth. Followed by MDF again when Agog plays factions. Finally,
Strangling Coils is used to CvCC the elves on the surface. Lugronk moves on the Old Road under the Illuin Mountians
and on the Grey Road under the Iron and Grey Mountains.

The hazard deck is harsh to those in the Northern Waste with the creatures and dragons. May be too limited in range.
Hazard events include Arda Marred and Morgoth's Ring. This last hazard allows the discarding of two hazards from hand
at anytime to cancel the discarding of this card, which allows the discarding of the limited-scope creatures. Twelve environment
hazards will wreck movement on the surface
dirhaval

I made changes to the Avatar deck after beginning with Durlach's Power Deck.
I added the new file and updated the text in that message above.

Changes were to simplify the fanu uses, sideboard manipulation. and to protect Durlach during his movement.
Eddy in Fate's Tide and Descent Through Fire were replaced by Roots of the Earth
and a third Maker's Map. There is a slot for one more resource. This can be Descent Through Fire
for there is time to visit another site to play this mission using Strangling Coils and followers.
Roots of the Earth at the Wind-Deeps allows a healing site for Lugronk so to combat
the Demons or Felagrog in the Under-Deeps during the Power Deck. Durlach might join them
in the Power Deck underground. We'll see.

It is difficult to decide on the Power Deck purpose of Durlach. I do not want to invade a dwarf-hold
as with the Demons.
dirhaval

I got the updated posted.

First,I removed the movement restriction on this avatar. Something does not feel right
about limiting his mobility while Tom Bombadil can eat cakes at Rivendell. I will play test this change.

Some non-MEBA characters were changed for MEBA characters. I think it is unfair to use
Old Troll while Hill Troll is available. Durlach needs to play his best cards to win.

Resources change by the following: No more rings. Instead of Hammer of the Under-world added with another miner's Pick.
Gondring Roused replaces Canadras Roused.Eagoth added too. Legendary Stair removed for Circle of Swords.

Hazards had a big change. The mismatch of creature types removed for three of the giant creatures.
Another copy of Snowstorm and Long Winter added. Fell Winter removed. Come at Need added to help play the allies.
Trouble on All Borders removed for Hurling Rocks and It is My Own.

Sites to tap include all those in the ring under Northern Waste except but a few.

What I like about this deck:
It is simple to play items on the surface. Strangling Coils will be played to move with Lugronk in the Underdeeps.
That troll will have a strong company with allies. There will be risk early visiting the Under-deeps with Felagrog
likely stronger ready for CvCC.

What I do not like about this deck:
Having some many modifiers to Under-deep rolls makes it too easy (picks x2, Maps x2, Iron Shield, and Under-Roads).
dirhaval

5 years is only a minute to a maia of fire.

An update has been made.

Few changes made including a Maggot grown into Nog.
Two magic cards added.
Arouse/Incite Minions given away for Tundra Mosquitos, The Black Enemy's Wrath,
and Frightful Guardian.

Factions Beasts of Angband and Orcs of the Ered Rhivamar
replaces a Miner's Pick and Link of Angainor.

The starting company in the file is not what starting the current game.
Agog started the game, but now feel that such a unique minion is at risk of death.
Orc-Captain starts in the file. Made two other such changes to minion deck files.
Lower mind leader allows another orc to start the game instead of a 8/9 minder unique.
Durlach can use Heart of Dark Fire and Foe Dismayed to influence away Agog.
Scary to have Agog in the Under-deeps with his 7 body.

What I like about this deck:
Compactness and focus gives a smooth feel. Under-deep sites are nearby with
few regions to use on the surface. Durlach has opportunities on both sides
of the tundra soil to make an impact causing any to fear when nearing his realm.

What I do not like about this deck
Hazard creatures will clog the hand until the Warlord Phase.
Surface environments can hurt this player too.
Resource table cards are a half-mix of surface and under-deeps putting
a company in the wrong place until two strong companies can be made,
which is why Agog would not start the game.

Durlach is in the Northern Waste Division pestered by the Elves of Evermist.
Future uploads will be the practice game initial turns, thus this file
will be removed and replaced with a hyperlink to the 1xxx post of those game notes.
Attachments
1624-Durlach_9-Tundra.pdf
updated deck for 50 player game
(323.59 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

hey dirhaval, I send you an email with some new card versions before the release date, but heard nothing back yet,

your Nicolai

Return to “Showcase”