Request list

Discussion of the new web-based platform for MECCG
Theo

The platform is very nice. I'd love to do events on this platform, but would need some additional functionality to support the competition:
  • At least as much support for GO deck declaration as cardnum. (Ideally full support.) I.e., lock in two decks at game creation, one for vs. Hero, one for vs. Minion, player can pick when opponent declares Fallen.
  • Game results held until end of rounds.
  • Some way to verify deck legality against assigned collections. (maybe already exists? No way for me to test.)
  • Some way to implement unimplementable cards that were identified during the test tournament. (maybe already exists? No way for me to test by myself.) E.g., Palantir of Minas Tirith and Mirror of Galadriel.
Maybe too much to ask for this summer; perhaps some time in the future?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Kodi
Council Member

Hi Theo, thank you for the compliment! Let me respond below.
At least as much support for GO deck declaration as cardnum. (Ideally full support.) I.e., lock in two decks at game creation, one for vs. Hero, one for vs. Minion, player can pick when opponent declares Fallen.
This is possible now. When you register the tournament you have to register your decks.
Game results held until end of rounds.
I have it noted for future tasks. Some of you had already mentioned it to me.
Some way to verify deck legality against assigned collections. (maybe already exists? No way for me to test.)
Right now, there's only one validation according to the tournament rules of the Council of Lorien. There are as many validations as ideas an organizer may have for a tournament. For instance, it could be a deck where rares aren't used. Or a deck where only orcs are allowed. For me, satisfying the needs of each organizer is very complicated because it entails dozens of hours of programming for each one.
Some way to implement unimplementable cards that were identified during the test tournament. (maybe already exists? No way for me to test by myself.) E.g., Palantir of Minas Tirith and Mirror of Galadriel.
These two cards you mentioned have a mechanic that cannot be implemented at the moment. I have it noted to review it in the future.

Conclusion:

I appreciate the insightful observations and contributions. Now, I need to take a few months of break as programming the platform has been a VERY tough task. However, I'll still be attentive to fix any bugs or prioritize important matters. I know the platform isn't perfect and it's unfinished, but I believe many tournaments can still be organized in its current state.

Thanks!
Theo

Kodi wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:23 am
At least as much support for GO deck declaration as cardnum. (Ideally full support.) I.e., lock in two decks at game creation, one for vs. Hero, one for vs. Minion, player can pick when opponent declares Fallen.
This is possible now. When you register the tournament you have to register your decks.
Cool, I didn't know. How would this work for sealed tournaments where you are allowed to alter your decks between matches? Buttons in the tournament interface, or deck construction interface, or game creation interface?

Sorry to pester, I just don't know of any way to test this myself. If there's no tutorial yet, I'd be happy to contribute one if I knew how to test it.
Kodi wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:23 am
Some way to verify deck legality against assigned collections. (maybe already exists? No way for me to test.)
Right now, there's only one validation according to the tournament rules of the Council of Lorien. There are as many validations as ideas an organizer may have for a tournament. For instance, it could be a deck where rares aren't used. Or a deck where only orcs are allowed. For me, satisfying the needs of each organizer is very complicated because it entails dozens of hours of programming for each one.
Sealed tournaments are one of the major categories under CoL rules. Collection checking is not some random one-off organizer idea.

Anyway, my practice with cardnum, for example, has been to "spot check" a couple games from top placers after the last round before announcing results. So even having some way to send the decks used for a tournament game to the organizer for validation. Then the organizer can do the validation instead of needing it built into the site.
Kodi
Council Member

Cool, I didn't know. How would this work for sealed tournaments where you are allowed to alter your decks between matches? Buttons in the tournament interface, or deck construction interface, or game creation interface?

Sorry to pester, I just don't know of any way to test this myself. If there's no tutorial yet, I'd be happy to contribute one if I knew how to test it.
I will soon make the tournament administrator public for everyone. I spoke with Mordakai about the possibility of him making a tutorial. Let's see if he has time. Anyway, it's very simple, but I would like to finish the Istari Challenge tournament to make the final adjustments.
Sealed tournaments are one of the major categories under CoL rules. Collection checking is not some random one-off organizer idea.
Yes, that's true. But to conduct a Sealed tournament, it's not necessary to validate the deck by collections, but rather to limit the possible collections for building the deck. Then, the validation is the same as it is now.
Anyway, my practice with cardnum, for example, has been to "spot check" a couple games from top placers after the last round before announcing results. So even having some way to send the decks used for a tournament game to the organizer for validation. Then the organizer can do the validation instead of needing it built into the site.
Perfect, that's a good idea. In the future, I could develop an option for participants to send/share a deck with the organizer.

As I was saying, I need a few months of rest, and then I suppose I'll feel like starting new developments beyond what's necessary to keep the platform stable.

Thanks
sarma72
Council Member

Yes, that's true. But to conduct a Sealed tournament, it's not necessary to validate the deck by collections, but rather to limit the possible collections for building the deck. Then, the validation is the same as it is now.
Ok so basically all you need is a way to create a personal collection for each participant (or the organisers) to upload /update cards in it. That would be really cool as I am thinking of running again the Hero "Fifa" World Cup (in Nov/Dec).
“The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out.”
Theo

sarma72 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:00 pm
Ok so basically all you need is a way to create a personal collection for each participant (or the organisers) to upload /update cards in it. That would be really cool as I am thinking of running again the Hero "Fifa" World Cup (in Nov/Dec).
Yes, that would be great, with the one concern that both sarma72's and my previous sealed events have allowed one additional avatar character that isn't normally in the collection. But I'm sure we could alter the packs so this detail isn't so important.

Return to “Middle-earth”