First announcement and development progress

Discussion of the new web-based platform for MECCG
GlorfindelII

Outstanding! Great work. Can't wait to have fun with that :)
“Glorfindel smiled. 'I doubt very much,' he said, 'The pursuit would follow you and leave us in peace, I think. It is you, Frodo, and that which you bear that brings us all in peril.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
matlamenace

Whoa !!! Very impressive, thank you very much. I can't wait to try it in solo mode or Arda solo mode if it's available. Is it possible to play on phone too ?
Kodi
Council Member

matlamenace wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:39 am Is it possible to play on phone too ?
Maybe... But I think is very difficult to play with mobile... Watch a game, have more sense to me.
Nico1920

Fantastic work! It looks brilliant. I have a few questions:

Are you planning to implement a "removed from the game" pile? I noticed in the screenshots that the Longbottoms/Dark trysts cards are placed to the side, as many of us do to keep track of how many are left in the deck. However, there should be a dedicated "removed from the game" pile, which would also allow us to account for unique cards that are already removed and therefore unplayable.

In the first screenshot, there's a white hand icon in the middle with the number "0" next to it. Does this mean that available GI is automatically counted? I hope so!

I see counters with the illustrations of "River" and "Lost in the Free Domains." Are these and others automatically placed depending on the played card? If not, how does it work?

Are discarded sites automatically returned to the location deck after they are exhausted? (This is one of the significant advantages of Cardnum over GCCG.)

It's apparent that MPs (and presumably Sps) are automatically counted (which is an advantage of GCCG over Cardnum). I'm curious if points are automatically doubled or discounted if you have more than half for a category at council/audience. That would be superb.

My favorite aspect of Cardnum over GCCG is deck building. I like typing the name of a card and having the rest auto-completed and eventually added with one click. Can you provide more details on how cards are added to the deck in your new platform?

I love the aesthetics of how the hand of cards looks. Will there be a larger version with text when hovering the mouse over it? Otherwise, it's challenging to read the text (unless you're like Kodi and know the text of every single card by heart! :lol: )

Will GCCG's keyboard shortcuts be available in your new platform?

At last, but not least. Could you please share more screenshots with us?

Once again, thank you very much for your work. I'm eager to try this out.
Kodi
Council Member

Hi Nico, thanks for your interest. I'll reply you bellow ;)
Are you planning to implement a "removed from the game" pile? I noticed in the screenshots that the Longbottoms/Dark trysts cards are placed to the side, as many of us do to keep track of how many are left in the deck. However, there should be a dedicated "removed from the game" pile, which would also allow us to account for unique cards that are already removed and therefore unplayable.
I haven't implemented a 'removed from the game' stack. You simply set them aside face up so everyone knows it's out. If it doesn't work, we can review it.
In the first screenshot, there's a white hand icon in the middle with the number "0" next to it. Does this mean that available GI is automatically counted? I hope so!
The hand is the card counter that you have in your hand. There is no influence counter because it cannot be done automatically. For example, how does the system know when a character is under direct influence, or if you're playing cards that increase the mind size, decrease it by half, etc. The only way to do this would be to manually assign the mind each character is using, and to do that, I think it's more convenient to simply count it when needed.
I see counters with the illustrations of "River" and "Lost in the Free Domains." Are these and others automatically placed depending on the played card? If not, how does it work?
When you add a counter, you can choose a card it represents. It's quite simple to do.
Are discarded sites automatically returned to the location deck after they are exhausted? (This is one of the significant advantages of Cardnum over GCCG.)
Yes
It's apparent that MPs (and presumably Sps) are automatically counted (which is an advantage of GCCG over Cardnum). I'm curious if points are automatically doubled or discounted if you have more than half for a category at council/audience. That would be superb.
Yes. All auto
My favorite aspect of Cardnum over GCCG is deck building. I like typing the name of a card and having the rest auto-completed and eventually added with one click. Can you provide more details on how cards are added to the deck in your new platform?
I think you will be satisfied with the deck builder.
I love the aesthetics of how the hand of cards looks. Will there be a larger version with text when hovering the mouse over it? Otherwise, it's challenging to read the text (unless you're like Kodi and know the text of every single card by heart! :lol: )
Yes. Zoom is available
Will GCCG's keyboard shortcuts be available in your new platform?
Yes
At last, but not least. Could you please share more screenshots with us?
Soon it will be available for beta testers ;)
Once again, thank you very much for your work. I'm eager to try this out.
Thanks a lot!
Kodi
Council Member

Hi friends!

If anyone is interested in being a beta tester, please reply to this thread. Thank you very much. :D
Theo

Yes.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
woodgnomezombie

Hello :)

i still have no idea how the game really works (last played 20-25 years ago lol) but if something like buttons are needed i might be able to build simple graphics :) little by little i'm learning the rules again (Rocky soundtrack is playing in the background ;D)
i like dragons
morgenstern

I would be interested to participate in the beta/help with testing MeCCG Online. On my PC I use a 48" HDTV as a monitor set at about 6-8ft viewing distance, so small text (especially anything other than black text on white background) can sometimes be difficult for my old eyes to read.

Cheers,
morg
Nico1920

I'd be happy to test as well
Troileh

I would like to test it too, please 👍🏻😉
Mordakai
Council Member

You have my axe!!!
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Kodi
Council Member

Beta testing is about to begin. If there is anyone else interested, please reply here. Thanks!
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I'm interested in testing as well. Some of y'all might even remember me ;)
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Baba
Location: If Oxford is Hobbiton (Tolkien's statmt in Letter294). Between river Adorn sources and Gap of Isen

I'm interested to, BUT don't know if I will have some extra time to do so.... The Christmas holidays promise to be complicated between work and family
Casual player forever !

Return to “Middle-earth”