Draft of CoE Digest #203 Q6 - An Unexpected Party - Open until January 22

Manuel
Council Chairman

In order to contribute to this thread please follow these rules:

1) The thread will be open until Jan 22.
2) There will be a maximum of one reply per forum user, and that reply cannot be edited. We want to actively avoid starting "flame wars", so please speak your peace, let others speak their peace, and that's it.
3) After the review period, the ROC will carefully consider everyone's contributions, revise the draft as appropriate, and then the Digest will be published and official.
Does An Unexpected Party allow the player to play a non-Dwarf character along with more Dwarf characters?

Here’s the card’s printed text:
Only playable during the organization phase on a company. There is no limit to the size of this company. Dwarves with a mind of 2 or less in this company do not require influence to be controlled; and there is no limit to how many Dwarves may be brought into play on a given turn with the company. Discard this card if the company has more than one non-Wizard character with a mind greater than 5 or more than two nonDwarf characters or no Dwarf with a mind greater than 5. Cannot be duplicate don a given company.
In order to solve this question, one must simply refer to the METW rulebook:
During your organization phase, you may perform one and only one of the following activities:

- You may play a character card. You must have enough general influence or direct influence available to control the character. You must place him at his home site or at any Haven site.

- You may play a Wizard card if you do not have one in play. You must place a Wizard at his home site or at Rivendell. You need not control a Wizard with influence-he represents you, the player.
Normally a player is allowed to do one and only of those things. However, with An Unexpected Party in play, this one-and-only-one limit is negated for non-Dwarf characters. That means that a player can play one non-Dwarf character and any number of Dwarves all in the same turn.
www.meccg.com
dirhaval

No for me, but I can live with the idea.

I like to see if a hierarchy of rules can be used in this game.
That is: Can I play a character? yes.
How many? one.
What if I have AUP in play? No limit for dwarves or 1 for non-dwarf.

Now, a party cannot happen without a host, which must be in existence first.
Yes, the Company crashed the hobbit hole. Gandalf did arrive too that night, but then that is two non-dwarf characters.

In addition, I wonder if you can play multiple dwarves with one copy of A Chance Meeting? Yes for me.

If Yes for the idea stated in the first post; can I play AUP during the organization phase at Rivendell on an only Bilbo's company.
Play many dwarves AND Gandalf. Then AUP is discarded for breaking the two non-dwarf limit. Smells like cheese to me.
We need a cheese emoji.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Thanks everyone for your contributions. The RC will study them carefully and come up with a final digest soon.
www.meccg.com

Return to “Drafts”