Draft of CoE Digest #203 Q3 - Hounds of Sauron - Open until January 22

Manuel
Council Chairman

In order to contribute to this thread please follow these rules:

1) The thread will be open until Jan 22.
2) There will be a maximum of one reply per forum user, and that reply cannot be edited. We want to actively avoid starting "flame wars", so please speak your peace, let others speak their peace, and that's it.
3) After the review period, the ROC will carefully consider everyone's contributions, revise the draft as appropriate, and then the Digest will be published and official.
Can I play resources during my opponent’s turn if I’m attacked by a Hounds of Sauron?

It was ruled in CoE Digest #119 that a player may use resources that affect attacks/strikes during his opponent’s turn if he is facing an attack from Hounds of Sauron or Traitor. However, the rules for taking actions during combat actually don’t override the restriction that resources can’t be played during an opponent’s turn; there are a few exceptions that do allow resources to be played during an opponent’s turn, but Hounds of Sauron isn’t explicitly one of them.

Note that there are two digests from ICE that clarify that the attack created by the first paragraph of Hounds of Sauron isn’t considered CvCC. This means that the is also affected by cards like Wake of War.

Here are the two digests:
ICE RULES DIGEST #512

04-10-1998 NetRep: Van Norton Source

QUERY 1

Subject: [Van] rules digest 510

In rules ICE Rules Digest #510 Van Norton wrote:

Hounds of Sauron: I didn’t see my question answered in the last couple of rules Digests, so here it is again: Is the “Wolves” attack (in lieu of CvCC) that this card can create powered up by Wake of War?

R: Thanks for asking again, I must have missed the question. The question is whether the Wolves attack counts as company vs. company combat. I’ll check with ICE to see.

R: I checked. The Wolves are not considered CvCC so they are powered up by Wake of War and other Wolf enhancers which may be in play.”

This begs the question: Is the Hounds of Sauron Wolf attack is cancellable? Can it be affected by Star-glass?

The special allowance that allows your opponent to use such resouce effects during YOUR site phase applies to CvCC, so if the Wolf attack does not count as CvCC it would seem that this allowance does not apply, unless a ruling change this.

Give the man a cigar! You are correct. This makes Hounds of Sauron more powerful that they seem on first glance.
ICE RULES DIGEST #565

25-03-1999 NetRep: Van Norton Source

QUERY 4

Subject: Re: Rules Digest 563 [van]

In ICE Rules Digest #563 Van Norton wrote:

No, delayed but not forgotten. Ichabod and I have been discussing changing the rule to make it more clear. I had one wording, he another. Ultimately, I spent an evening going through every hazard in the game to see how they impacted each wording of the new rule.

To make a long story short [too late] here is the new ruling for Company vs. Company combat:

Hazard effects in play that affect attacks have no effect on CVCC.

So, you may need to spell this out for me, but does this reverse a previous ruling that allowed Wake of War to boost the Wolf attack created by Hounds of Sauron in CVCC?

Hounds of Sauron does not create a company vs. company combat. You may use Hounds of Sauron instead of company vs. company combat. Since it isn’t CvCC, it doesn’t follow the rules of CvCC. Wake of War and other hazard attack boosters work as normal on the Hounds.*
This ruling overturns CoE Digest #119 Q5 (and note that we’re doing a separate entry for Traitor).
www.meccg.com
Manuel
Council Chairman

Thanks everyone for your contributions. The RC will study them carefully and come up with a final digest soon.
www.meccg.com

Return to “Drafts”