Great time for Middle Earth card products thanks to Magic the Gathering

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Goblin King

I've always wanted card sleeves with cool art for this game. And how about nice looking deck boxes. There was no such thing as play mats in the 1990s, but they sure are cool.
It's a fantastic time to be into a Middle Earth game right now. I'm picking up all of the above. Can't wait to sleeve a One Ring Deck in a bunch of hobbit sleeves and a One Ring box!
I had to pick up the Tom play mat. I'm really eyeballing the Balrog one as well.
Mordakai
Council Member

How cool would be to have McBride's Fellowship card sleeves? :o
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
gollum51

Thanks for the heads up.
Some really nice stuff indeed. I love the Gandalf sleeves and the Shelob playmat.

However, I find their « African Aragorn » sleeves and « Eowyn with dreadlock » sleeves so disrespectful for Tolkien (on a par with their « Rastaman Theoden ») that I am not going to give them any cent.
Kjeld

gollum51 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:40 pm Thanks for the heads up.
Some really nice stuff indeed. I love the Gandalf sleeves and the Shelob playmat.

However, I find their « African Aragorn » sleeves and « Eowyn with dreadlock » sleeves so disrespectful for Tolkien (on a par with their « Rastaman Theoden ») that I am not going to give them any cent.
And I find the constant harping on any new takes on a very old canon to be disrespectful for Tolkien's own sense that he was an explorer of a strange and largely unknown world, always open for new interpretation and discovery. And, yes, I know that Tolkien described in detail the skin tone, hair color, etc. of most of his characters. But that doesn't mean there's not space to imagine them differently. There's more than enough traditional content out there to satisfy the most die-hard originalist fans, so it doesn't have to be either/or -- it can be both/and.
cardcollector

The mtg lotr is kind of junk imo.. Maybe some of the serialized cards would be cool to get, but the prices for those are bonkers (probably helped by the glow of the one ring). I would prefer a taschendieb at 100-250 over an mtg lotr serialized card at 3000. Also the mtg lotr version is tainted by corporate profit seeking and corruption of lore for the whims of today. The decipher lotr cards are ok, MECCG remains the best option by far. That is my 0.69 cents anyway 8)

:idea: Side note, I am looking forward to seeing the other special edition coming out near the end of the year. It supposedly has some old artwork? Maybe some used in MECCG.
Goblin King

The Hobbit with Sting sleeves and the Frodo holding the One Ring deck box 8)
Also the Balrog play mat.
I haven't seen Nazgul sleeves yet, but I will get them if they come out.
Great stuff!

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”