Getting MECCG cards graded by PSA and other companies

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
cardcollector

Does anyone here have much experience getting their Middle Earth cards graded for condition by companies such as PSA?

I have noticed that they have graded a small amount of Middle Earth cards but it hasn't really picked up yet.

List of Middle Earth cards graded by PSA so far:
https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-c ... ted/143362
https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-c ... ited/41784

What do you think the future is for grading Middle Earth cards? Do you think that it will start to pick up in the future?
tyhjaarpa

Don't really think that meccg collectors really care about grading their cards as there ìs relatively small amount of collectors around and the demand is small as well as relatively low value in the cards as well. I would guess that most meccg collectors have their cards in binders, you can't but those craded cards in binder with the plastic cover.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
CDavis7M

Is the point to actually "grade" the card or to turn it into a commodity?

MECCG hoarders already know their collection to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession. And they would miss a single card were it sold or taken. Their rage would pass description--the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that have long had but have never before used or wanted.
cardcollector

tyhjaarpa wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:03 pm Don't really think that meccg collectors really care about grading their cards as there ìs relatively small amount of collectors around and the demand is small as well as relatively low value in the cards as well. I would guess that most meccg collectors have their cards in binders, you can't but those craded cards in binder with the plastic cover.
Yeah, it seems like a large amount of MECCG collectors also want the cards for playing with so getting them graded wouldn't make sense from that standpoint. Also as you say the demand is small with a lot of the cards having relatively low value. Yes I have come across a lot of binder collections but also boxes.

--

I suppose the question is whether MECCG will ever gain more attention as a collectible in the same sense as other cards (such as sports, Pokemon, Magic The Gathering etc)?

--

From my perspective, as other card games are currently rising in price a lot I would prefer to collect a card game like Middle Earth for a few reasons.

1.It is old now, one of the earliest card games of its type.
2.Lord of The Rings is a seemingly timeless classic.
3.The artwork is brilliant, with many well known Tolkien illustrators and also some artists that have worked on card games such as Magic The Gathering. I much prefer this to the alternative that just uses shots from the Peter Jackson films. The fact that this card game was produced before the films means that it is likely the last Tolkien card game to be produced that has no influence from the Jackson films.
4.It appeals to older age groups. Pokemon is quite clearly a children's card game (which I do not have too many problems with as I do collect it a bit myself, but its not as obviously appealing to adults as Lord of The Rings).
5. It is a professionally made game with highly technical mechanics.
6.The price is reasonable in comparison to other card games.
cardcollector

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:17 pm Is the point to actually "grade" the card or to turn it into a commodity?

MECCG hoarders already know their collection to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession. And they would miss a single card were it sold or taken. Their rage would pass description--the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that have long had but have never before used or wanted.
Yes partly, if by commodity you mean in the sense of other card games like Pokemon and Magic The Gathering. Though there are other bonuses to having cards graded (hard case protection, personal gratification from attaining high grades and authenticating signed cards etc). But you are right to point out the commodity aspect specifically, when a card game is graded by condition it makes it a lot easier to establish price discovery with precision.

--

Yes, the fact that MECCG is not heavily graded does not mean that it cannot be collected in a serious manner. In collecting terms grading would be a secondary factor, in financial terms grading would be a primary factor.
Mordakai
Council Member

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:17 pm Is the point to actually "grade" the card or to turn it into a commodity?

C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”