Reused art

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Mordakai
Council Member

Wow, Bilbo's images are so close... and also reflect what a great illustrator was McBride (specially side to side with poor Mark Poole).

We can also spot reused art in Bilbo's illustration: the card back of site cards, centered in Mirkwood. It's an interesting case, those of the characters (and Goldberry and Gollum) from McBride were originally B/W images (you can see them in MERP), they were coloured and added some background; sometimes site card back, like Bilbo and Frodo, sometimes a pattern, as in Aragorn or Galadriel...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

These sceneries are somewhat similar, especially the appearance of the smith. Coincidence? ;)
Attachments
Rings.jpg
Rings.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 6189 times
CDavis7M

Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 pm These sceneries are somewhat similar, especially the appearance of the smith. Coincidence? ;)
And this one -- no coincidence!

Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

This is an easy one: Two versions of Isengard by Ted Nasmith. Isengard is so clearly described in the books there's few ambiguity on how it looked like (so it's not a "reused" art if you compare it to other artists' Isengard versions). However, Ted's versions are still strikingly similar.
Attachments
Isengart.png
Isengart.png (189.67 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

This is more interesting: The Wizard's ring is not an element in the books. So Rousselle's first in presenting an idea on how it might look like. Freeman clearly takes up the design of the ring.
Attachments
ring.png
ring.png (197.85 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
CDavis7M

Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm The Wizard's ring is not an element in the books. So Rousselle's first in presenting an idea on how it might look like.
Good catch on the Wizard's Ring art being re-used. From what I can tell there is no description of the "Wizard's Ring" being a hand holding the band. This is all that I remember:
But I rode to the foot of Orthanc, and came to the stair of Saruman; and there he met me and led me up to his high chamber. He wore a ring on his finger.
And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Entrances and stairs seem quite similar to me, mind the pillars at the stairs, too. Not sure if Ted took Douglas' painting as a model, perhaps they both had the same reference object?
bridge.jpg
bridge.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
gollum51

One possible common source of inspiration for some of these cards could simply be Tolkien’s original drawings.
For example for Thranduil’s Halls featured on no escape and Nimloth:

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/298152437815881434/

I was fortunate enough to visit the Tolkien exhibition in Paris and buy the exhibition art book. The exhibition featured a lot of Tolkien’s original drawings on loan from the Bodleian libray, some of them have definitely shaped the vision of Middle Earth artists.
Yegor

Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm This is more interesting: The Wizard's ring is not an element in the books. So Rousselle's first in presenting an idea on how it might look like. Freeman clearly takes up the design of the ring.
Looks like, here Saruman also has the same ring. Or at any rate something similar.
Attachments
WillYouNotComeDown.jpg
WillYouNotComeDown.jpg (75.42 KiB) Viewed 5986 times
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Yes, well observed, thanks!
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

difficult not to see a relationship between these two...
Attachments
thralls.png
thralls.png (273.75 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
Yegor

Funny, Wizard's Voice was once the Saruman art.
Attachments
old_saruman_radagast.jpg
old_saruman_radagast.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5812 times
Yegor

And, a bit off topic, but following the previous post, below are all the other Wizards.
Check out the text on Gandalf and Alatar.
Attachments
old_pallando.jpg
old_pallando.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5812 times
old_alatar.jpg
old_alatar.jpg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 5812 times
old_gandalf.jpg
old_gandalf.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 5812 times
CDavis7M

Alatar seems essentially the same but Gandalf's hobbit ability is neat. I heard that Saruman could "align" a palantir during playtesting (rather than merely using it himself).
Lake Town Geezer

Nice thread.

Just some thoughts on the depiction of Luthien in the game. I believe there are two images of her - 'Choice of Luthien' and 'And forth he hastened'.

'Choice of Luthien' (really an iconic painting) was done before 1990 by Ted Nasmith. 'And forth he hastened' was scompleted in 1996. Was Donato influenced by the Nasmith earlier work? I think so - although no blue dress.
Attachments
AndForthHeHastened.jpg
AndForthHeHastened.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
luthien.jpg
luthien.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”