Using MECCG cards with Cubicle7's "The One Ring" RPG

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
henrikbe

Hi!

With very little prior experience in role playing games, I bought Cubilcle7's "The One Ring" rpg, and have run it (as GM) a couple of sessions. Now, one of the problems I have with that game, is the journey phase, and in particular the hazards. Basically, the players will face hazards at random during travel, and then to see what hazard they'll face, you roll a die and consult a table. So far so good, but one thing that annoys me is that this table is really generic, and the effects hazards are all very similar (most of them boil down to adding some fatigue or shadow points).

I've seen someone make a more interesting table, with a number of themed hazards based on location, with (it seems) a lot more variety. But then it occurred to me: I have quite a bit of MECCG cards, maybe I could include them in this part of the game, somehow? E.g., instead of rolling a die to select hazard, I have a deck of MECCG hazard cards, and suitable interpretations of these hazards (e.g. some orc creature cards = the company is attacked by an ambush of orcs, Night = the next hazard creature drawn on this journey (if any) will attack at night (e.g. companions get some disadvantage), Greed = the next time someone in the company acquires an item, all the other players must make corruption test. If failed, the characters start a fight over the item (unless the owner voluntarily hands it over), etc etc).

So I figured, maybe some of you guys have played the RPG, and have had similar ideas? Or maybe even compiled hazard decks for this?
Henrik

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”