Tournament handicap - please advise

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
timurlain

Hello,

I would like to organize a tournament in MECCG for novice players. Sealed deck format.

I am wondering if there is a good way to handicap players who have played the game recently for example 5 times, have the cards, know the rules to a certain degree, vs. players who are complete novices.

Sealed deck format, 2 starters, 6 boosters in the first round. METW cards only. 1 or 2 deck game.

Eg. -2 MP to final handicap? Does anyone have any experience with the distribution of game results in such formats?

Please advise.
CDavis7M

Hi timurlain. As your post is from November, did you already organize your tournament? How did it go?

If you haven't done it already, I think sealed deck is not the best way to go for beginners. Deck building requires some skill and thinking. While the "fixed" section in the starter decks can make for a decent deck from the get-go, there are many cards that may be missing in a sealed format, or things that would get overlooked.

Instead, I would try randomize the Challenge Decks and have those played against each other. They come with strategy guides and a rulesbook and so are good for beginners. Each of the decks is definitely good and usable, and capable of bouncing back after defeat. The veterans in my playgroup have a lot of fun playing the challenge decks against each other. They find it to be a good way to "warm up."

As for handicaps, especially with beginners and a sealed deck, there is just too much variability to properly assign a true handicap. But with a Challenge Deck and lucky dice and card draw, even a beginner can beat a veteran. So I think that it is just too hard to properly determine an MP based handicap.

Perhaps the best way to "handicap" a veteran (in my mind) would be to ask them to teach the beginners how to play and think about the game as they go, and to allow for minor take-backs. For example, the veteran can explain company organization, strategy in the order of playing hazards, strategy in the order of M/H phases, when to risk an untapped roll VS when to go for it, when to go heal at a haven and when not to, etc. Or, if a Ranger tapped instead of another character against the strike, you could explain how River works and allow the beginner to tap a different character and untap their Ranger. Or help them spread corruption points across different characters. Explain how/when to tap in support. Basically, just bring the beginners partially up to the strategy level of others that have played the game before. This would provide a great experience for new players and keep them coming back.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”