Tracking Player Performance

Let's publish our projects
Theo

Gist:
The Council of Meduseld tracks player performance. ANY games can be incorporated. View standings at https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/#standings.

CoM tracks participation and technical performance for all submitted games, as well as a traditional ICE ranking specifically for qualifying online tournaments.

=====

One of my hobby research interests is in ranking systems (incentive systems in general). One player ranking system I've been intermittently developing for some time I consider in "beta testing" (it will likely be adjusted at least once more when I make the time to work through one theoretical aspect) and is currently used for Council of Meduseld's League Ranking. It strives to give players relative scores based on technical performance, weighted toward recent performance and (mostly) independent of participation.

The goal is to connect the player community by empowering players to build new connections with greater anticipation about the level of competition the other players might have to offer. E.g., I can definitely hesitate to initially reach out at all from fears that someone might be so much higher or lower that there could be regrets about the ~2 hours spent in disappointment on both sides rather than an interesting game. I typically ask what kind of opponent my playmate might prefer, but it can be difficult to estimate correctly if the players come from playgroups with different norms.

This system reasonably incorporates any games---assuming both players know that it is a ranked game---unlike basically every other ranking system I've seen used in this community. This includes beginners tournaments, Final-4 tournaments, and even games unaffiliated with tournaments!

If you'd like to be part of this project, message councilofmeduseld via Discord. Both players should declare a tracked game prior to the start of the game, and then submit the results upon game completion. At least 3 recorded games are needed to appear on the League list.

All are welcome at Meduseld!
Last edited by Theo on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Goblin King

Awesome, Theo and nice webpage!
Beretar

Goblin King wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:47 am Awesome, Theo and nice webpage!
Theo, I concur with Goblin King, good idea and webpage.
Nimrandir

As an old-time participant in the NetMECCG League, this warms my heart.

On the other hand, seeing myself ranked so highly feels weird. :wink:
Theo

Updated from second half of 2023, including Worlds.

The hope is to merge online and in-person rankings once there is another tournament's worth of network connectivity between the two.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Community Projects”