about ties in The Riddle Game

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

The Riddle Game wrote:Riddling attempt. Playable during the site phase on a character at the same site as one of opponent's companies. Tap the character Opponent chooses a character from his company to play the riddle game. Each player makes a riddling roll (or draws a #) modified by +2 if his character is a sage and by +1 if a Hobbit (re-roll ties). The player with the highest result wins. He then names two cards and the other player reveals his hand If any of the named cards are revealed, they are immediately discarded.
Wit wrote:Modify one riddling roll by +3. If applicable, this card may also be played during your opponent's site phase if a riddling roll is called for.
I wonder about the re-roll ties-part in The Riddle Game. What happens if I played Wit on the roll and a re-roll is necessary. Do I get +3 to the second roll, too?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Wit only modifies one riddling roll. No others. A reroll is by definition another roll.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I disagree.
Like in case of Lucky Strike, we don't have two rolls in two strike sequences, each modified separately. It is a one roll, only that player can choose better result.
In case of TRG it would be worded "discard and repeat tied results" and it would have the same meaning as "(re-roll ties)".
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Lucky Strike wrote:Warrior only. Make two rolls (or draw two #'s) against a strike and shoose one of the two results to use.
In Lucky Strike we have two rolls in one strike sequence. It says so on the card itself. By no stretch of the imagination can you call two rolls only one roll.

Wit does not modify a riddling attempt, it modifies a riddling roll, and only one riddling roll. If your roll modified by Wit results in a tie, you and your opponent re-roll, but that roll has not been targeted by any modifying effects.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

"re-roll" does not must mean "make second roll", it may mean "repeat [the same] roll".
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Possibly, but that is not my interpretation.
CDavis7M

If the re-roll were some new different roll, then the bonuses for Hobbits and Sages would not apply. It should be obvious that this is not the case because then it would not be a re-roll.
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm "re-roll" does not must mean "make second roll", it may mean "repeat [the same] roll".
I agree. The players are re-rolling the same roll as before, meaning that all the modifications still apply, including Wit.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”