CoE Rulings Digest #119

zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

1) Joe Bisz wrote: "I asked:

>>>I have moved a company to a haven, and I choose not to combine it with the original company there during the site phase. On my next turn during the organization phase, can these two companies join each other? Can two companies join each other, than split again, then join and split, indefinitely?

You answered that they could NOT join during the org, and that they
could NOT join and split indefinitely. I assume based on our
conversation that they therefore actually CAN join during the org?
Also, would a more precise ruling on the second question be: "A
single character can only join one company and split from one company
during the organization phase" ?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ruled incorrectly in the previous digest. The answer to your first question is "Yes". The answer to the second question remains "No". You cannot just keep splitting and recombining. This would allow you to untap any haven as long as you had two characters at it. If you split, you cannot rejoin. I don't want to say either yes or no to your proposal. I'm not sure it's necessary to choose.

2) Joe Bisz wrote: "I know that if a resource player plays a card during the
organization phase that creates an effect during the m/h phase, like
Secret entrance, SE's effect is the first thing announced during the
m/h phase, and that the hazard player may respond with hazards like
Choking Shadow before SE resolves. Does this mean if a player taps
Promptings of Wisdom during the org, he must declare its effect
during the m/h, and such a declaration may be responded to (for
instance, with Skinchangers)? "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of Promptings of Wisdom does not create an effect with delayed declaration. This is because its effect does not depend on the site or site path of the company.

3) Joe Bisz wrote: "A) Must Lure of Power be revealed before the roll for the faction is made? B) Since Balrog Onguard rules says that non-creature cards can only be revealed if "The company plays a card that potentially would tap an untapped site," I assume this means that Lure of Power could never be revealed at a tapped site if a player is playing a
faction there?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) Yes.

B) You assume incorrectly. The question is not whether the card might tap this site, but whether it would tap a site. So, for example, playing a Noble Hound at a tapped borderhold, Snaga Hai at a tapped shadowhold, or Secrets of Their Forging at minion The Worthy Hills all allow the opponent to reveal his on guard card.

4) The question has arisen whether a player can use initiate actions that affect the entire attack after strikes have been assigned.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both the resource player and the hazard player may take actions during the strike sequence that directly affect the prowess of the strike -- even if such actions also have other effects, except those otherwise forbidden (e.g. changing the number of strikes, altering strike assignment).

5) The question has arisen whether a player may use resources during his opponent's turn when facing an attack from Traitor or Hounds of Sauron.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A player may use resources that affect attacks/strikes during his opponent's turn if he is facing an attack from Hounds of Sauron or Traitor. Note that this overturns CoE 15 but extends CoE 110.

6) The question of a possible difference between influence attempts and influence checks has again been raised.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The terms 'influence check' and 'influence attempt' are strictly synonymous. Any card or rule referring to one refers to both. Note that this overrules CoE 52.

7) Marcos asked at meccg.net whether heroes had any way to avoid losing their allies if those allies fail the roll for Stay Her Appetite. The answer turns on the question whether detainment attacks can be defeated. It was pointed out that the MELE rules only specify that detainment attacks by creatures cannot be defeated, and some thought that this lacuna meant that detainment attacks by non-creatures (e.g., Stay her Appetite, automatic attacks, agents against minions, etc.) could be defeated.

The inference is invalid. A careful review of the MELE rules shows that these rules never explicitly say how to defeat a non-creature attack – whether it is detainment or non-detainment. Nevertheless, the rules presuppose (e.g., when they talk about defeating dragon factions) that a non-creature attack may be defeated. We therefore extend the rule for defeating attacks by non-detainment creatures to all attacks. A non-detainment attack is defeated if and only if all of its strikes directed against a company are defeated.

8) Ben pointed out that the text of the minion site Carn Dum specifies "Special: Unless this site is a character's home site, a non-Orc, non-Troll character may not be brought into play at this site." He asked: "Do abilities (e.g. Witch-King, Khamul, They Ride Together, Black Horse, Uvatha) which allow the play of RW followers override Carn Dum, or is my most recent Bag End mission deck completely stuffed?"

These abilities do override Carn Dum, but since the Bag End mission is so slow, your deck is probably stuffed anyway.

Best,

Mark Alfano
mark.alfano@gmail.com

Official Council of Elrond Netrep*
http://www.councilofelrond.org/, http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/index.php,

*Prepared in collaboration with Mikko Vihtemäki (NetRep Team), and Brian Min, Manuel Cabezali Romero, Konrad Klar, and David Barton (NetRep Advisors).
http://www.alfanos.org

Return to “CoE Rulings Digest #114 - #125”