Token of Goodwill: discard item for an effect?

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
domse
Ex Council Member

While planning a Token of Goodwill deck I wondered, whether i can discard a minor item FOR AN EFFECT when playing Token of Goodwill. Some Dark Minions cards like Fate of the Ithilstone have an additional sentence "for no effect". As Token doesnt, i conclude, i can do so. For those who want to hear the exact situation i want to use it in: play token on a man AA and discard cram to untap.

Thx for your help guys
Wacho

Nope. You can't do it.
domse
Ex Council Member

...and why?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Normally some Lost Knowledge cards must be discarded for its effect.
Discarding them is condition (price) of its main effect.

Phrase "discards (for no effect)" means that this time discrading Lost Knowledge is condition (price) of effect other card and that it does not give normal benefits.
In other words you cannot discard Lost Tome for both inverting of Into The Smoking Cone and for making Information playable at Mount Doom.

Sometimes discarding is condition, sometimes it is result of action.
For Into The Smoking Cone and Fate of the Ithil-Stone company is not forced at any point to discarding Lost Knowledge. Company can freely choose this option.
For Token of Goodwill, Thief, Rats!, Drowning Seas company is forced to discard some item.
The same applies to the Leaf Brooch.
You can discard this item instead minor item to fulfill effect of Token of Goodwill or Rats!. You cannot discard it instead Miruvor or Potion of Prowess discarded as condition of effect this cards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”