Discarding face-up

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Some effects in play enforce some players to discard cards face-up. Is so discarded card considered revealed (merely for the reason of being so discarded)?
I think that no. Answer will have impact on interpretation of The Hunt, potentially may have impact on interpretation of something else.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Mordakai
Council Member

From "Ruling by Term"
Reveal
Any revealed cards are shown to all players.
If we turn that phase over, we could infer that "any card that is shown to all players is revealed". But maybe that is not correct? It sounds weird to me that a card that is shown to all players in the game is not considered "revealed", though.

Filtering all cards with "reveal" in the text box, it seems that "reveal" is used in different ways:
a) Showing opponet cards from your hand, playdeck or discard pile is "revealing" (An Untimely Whisper, Aware of their Ways, Crebain...)
b) Turning face up a site to move a company there is "revealing" (minion Himring, minion Tolfalas...)
c) Turning face up an on-guard hazard and executing its mechanics is "revealing" (Foolish Words, Searching Eye...)
d) Bringing your "avatar" into play is "revealing" it (The Lidless Eye, Sacrifice of Form...)
e) Maybe other uses of "revealing"? I didn't find any more, but maybe...

The Great Hunt and Pallando's ability use "discard face up" but not "reveal", probably because it's kind of weird to reveal each card to your opponent ("I discard Risky Blow", "I discard Ambusher"...) instead of just discarding them and leaving that info totally to your opponent's awareness during the game. But it's a total guess.
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Reveal
Any revealed cards are shown to all players.
Or just that "reveal card" without other stipulations means also "reveal card to all players". Still leaving space for possibilities like:
Dark Minions: Great Secrets Buried There
Rarity: Uncommon, Precise: U2

Hazard: Permanent-event

Playable if opponent has at least ten cards in his play deck. Opponent reveals the top ten card of his play deck to himself. If one is available, opponent must choose a non-special, non-hoard item from the revealed cards to place off to the side under this card (item does not give Marshaling points and is considered out of play). If none are available, opponent must show you the cards he revealed to himself. Opponent shuffles all remaining revealed cards into his play deck. Opponent may play this item as though it were in his hand at any Under-deeps site. Alternatively, you may play this card as a resource on yourself if you have at least ten cards in your play deck. In this case, you and your opponent reverse roles.
...not defining "reveal".

The Hunt says:
"Name a specific hazard creature card your opponent revealed to you through a mechanism of the game and discarded."
Mordakai wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:53 am If we turn that phase over, we could infer that "any card that is shown to all players is revealed". But maybe that is not correct? It sounds weird to me that a card that is shown to all players in the game is not considered "revealed", though.
"Any square is rectangle".

"Any rectangle is square" is not correct.
meaglyn

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:54 am The Hunt says:
"Name a specific hazard creature card your opponent revealed to you through a mechanism of the game and discarded."
I'd argue that any card that you play face up is revealed and any card you put on the table face up is revealed Or put on the table face-down and then turn over). I think that also applies to discarding face up. Playing cards, discarding cards, turning over on-guard cards are all mechanisms of the game. I would not try to read too much into the term "reveal". If you do then things like the hunt are weird. It would imply that a hazard creature would only be valid if it had been used as an on-gaurd card and "revealed" but not played during the M/H phase normally which I think is not the intent.

I suppose one could argue that the "and discarded" in the hunt means that it must have been one of the other mechanisms of the game and that a card that is not played but just discarded face-up would not be a valid target for The Hunt.

Do people really hit these cases or is this just theorizing? I guess I need to play more :)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

meaglyn wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:41 pm I would not try to read too much into the term "reveal". If you do then things like the hunt are weird. It would imply that a hazard creature would only be valid if it had been used as an on-gaurd card and "revealed" but not played during the M/H phase normally which I think is not the intent.
I think that it would not imply that. If playing face-up involves revealing than it does not imply that.
meaglyn wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:41 pm Do people really hit these cases or is this just theorizing? I guess I need to play more
Speaking for myself. I do not know whether people recognize (for example) a difference between discarding in result of attack of Abductor and discarding in result of attack of Giant Spiders. But they hit the cases. Not being protected from discarding leads to avoiding bc from Abductor, does not lead to avoiding bc from Giant Spiders. If someone is ignoring the difference he is just playing of such variant of MECCG.
meaglyn

I think you missed my point. If revealing is a special action as listed in those cases in an earlier post and does not include playing a card face up (since that was not on the list) then if The Hunt requires a "revealed" card it would only work with an on-guard card or other mechanism from the specific list of "reveal"s. I am not arguing for that interpretation. I'm saying any thing which involves a face-up card has that card revealed including the discard pile.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Some loose thoughts (without intention of proving that or something).

The Wizards: Palantír of Minas Tirith
Rarity: Uncommon, Precise: U

Resource: Special Item

Unique. Palantír. Playable only at Minas Tirith. With its bearer able to use a Palantír, Tap Palantír of Minas Tirith to look at the top five cards of your play deck; shuffle these 5 cards and return them to the top of your play deck. Do the same to your opponent's play deck. Bearer makes a corruption check.

Are the 5 cards considered revealed to him?

does not impose any order; "then discarded" or "and then discarded" would impose some order.

Any of cards shown in result of using of Palantír of Minas Tirith may be ultimately not discarded. The same for card returned to hand.
"Discarding" visible for all players is discarding from play or discarding face-up. If given card is discarded from hand face-down, such discarding is visible for discarding player, otherwise may be registered by computer program or by omnipresent arbiter.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”