Problem of "One Dragon"

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The Wizards: Dragon's Desolation
Rarity: Uncommon, Precise: U

Hazard: Short-event

The prowess of one Dragon attack is modified by +2. Alternatively, it may be played on a site that has two Wildernesses in its site path (only one Wilderness is required if Doors of Night is in play)-one Dragon hazard creature may be played on a company at that site this turn. "...there was neither bush nor tree, and only broken and blackened stumps..."-Hob
The Dragons: Leucaruth at Home
Rarity: Rare, Precise: R3

Hazard: Permanent-event

Unique. Unless Leucaruth Ahunt is in play, Irerock has an additional : Dragon-2 strikes at 17/8. In addition, only one unique Dragon manifestation may be played per turn. "...the dreadful echoes, from far down in the depths, of a bellowing and a trampling that made the ground beneath them tremble."-Hob

Effect of a card starts since the card is in play and lasts for specified period or as long the card is in play.
But counter of Dragons/unique Dragon Manifestations played in turn starts earlier; since the start of given turn. Playing of Leucaruth at Home exhausts the limit that the card imposes (in turn in which it has been played).

What if Dragon has been played keyed to some [-me_rl-] and then Dragon's Desolation is played on the [-me_rl-] ?
May one additional Dragon be played keyed to the [-me_rl-]? If so, can player decide that Dragon he is playing according to effect of Dragon's Desolation and which is played not according? E.g. Cave-drake or Smaug are not played according but Bairanax later played keyed to the same The Lonely Mountain is played according to effect of Dragon's Desolation?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
meaglyn

First I think Dragon's Desolation should read "Alternatively, may..." (dropping the it). Or it should be "Alternatively, Dragon's Desolation may". The "it" is somewhat ambiguous. That ship has, of course, sailed a long time ago...

Second, I don't think Dragon's Desolation creates a limit of one. It does not say "only one". It just allows you to play a (one) dragon that would otherwise not be playable at that site. I don't think it prevents you from playing other dragons that could already be keyed to that site (before or after).

Agree that Leucaruth at Home counts as the one for its limit of one on the turn it is played. If others had already been played that turn it would not matter as the limit was not in effect when those were played.

My unofficial 2 cents :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Dragon's Desolation creates the opportunity to play a creature if the company is at that site regardless of the normal rules for creature play. However, it does not permit violation of any other restrictions (e.g. one cannot play a Unique dragon creature if a manifestation of that creature has been defeated).

Leucaruth At Home creates a restriction that covers more than creature play (hazard events and resource factions are also affected), so I would say that Dragon's Desolation would not override it.

Edit: And I agree with the above poster on both points.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
meaglyn

Bandobras Took wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm Leucaruth At Home creates a restriction that covers more than creature play (hazard events and resource factions are also affected), so I would say that Dragon's Desolation would not override it.
I didn't really answer that did I... Yes, I agree with this. DD does not overcome the manifestation restriction.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”