Eyes of Mandos - manipulating of cards

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Dark Minions: Eyes of Mandos
Rarity: Rare, Precise: R3

Resource: Short-event

Playable on Pallando during the organization phase. Tap Pallando and reveal up to 8 cards from the top of your play deck. Choose one to put into your hand and shuffle the remaining ones into your play deck. "And so the Blue Wizard sat on a carved stone seat on a stone terrace, before a clear, dark pool, viewing Fate as if through the eyes of his mentor."-Kuduk Lore

The card manipulates other cards. Some number of cards is revealed. One is chosen and taken on hand, rest is shuffled to play deck.
Eyes of Mandos is a hero resource, non-spell, non-magic. If the manipulations count as affecting the cards, a minion resource card may not be taken on hand. But is there any guarantee that the rest of revealed cards will not contain minion resource card?

Or maybe choosing and taking one card on hand counts as an affecting the card but shuffling the rest in play deck does not count?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Well, this is an interesting topic for sure :)

I can only guess but I'd say ICE wouldn't have made a card like Pallando's Hood if they knew Eyes of Mandos couldn't even reveal a minion card among the revealed-but-not-taken cards.

Or maybe choosing and taking one card on hand counts as an affecting the card but shuffling the rest in play deck does not count?
My opinion is that the non-chosen cards are not considered to be affected. Otherwise, Fallen Pallando couldn't play Eyes of Mandos.
www.meccg.com
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

What if all 8 revealed cards are minion resources? Player may not opt to not choosing anyone.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I assume we're speaking of FWs.

When revealing cards from the deck, the target is the deck. The action "revealing" is played out through the deck.

Taking a card to hand targets the card. It would be possible for FW Pallando to draw 8 cards and be unable to take any for that reason.

("Shuffle" is also played out through the deck.)

Revealing cards from the deck and then returning them to the deck does not affect them -- they start out in the deck, and they end up back in the deck, able to be drawn.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The card to be taken on hand is not specified at declaration of Eyes of Mandos.
Choice is declared but not its result. If a roll is declared, the roll is declared but not its result.

If whatever chosen/specified at any moment (declaration/execution of action) is considered a target then there is situation where targets are almost everywhere.

EDIT: ececution -> execution
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Good point; I might be a little rusty. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”