Ride Against the Enemy (type of attack)

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:50 pm By the way, this is not errata but a clarification. I'm not sure what you are copying from by my copy of the CRF has these statements in the "Rulings by Card" section, not in the "Complete errata listing" section. And of course, these statements are not errata because they don't give any changes to the published text.
http://meccg.tolkien.com.pl/forum/downl ... e.php?id=7
Not errata, but something that can be concluded from existing text. A clarification.
I said "Authors forgot" because other events that cause immediate attack of creature contain a phrase "does not count against the hazard limit" (Fever of Unrest does not contain) which is redundant.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The creature does not count against the hazard limit. A creature must be played if
there is one available.
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:50 pm The clarification is not saying that the creature is actually played. The creature is still merely revealed. The original card text is still present. Sometimes looking at the original question which prompted the ruling is helpful, if it can be found.
This is what I name "strict blur".
Distinctions between "played" and "actually played".
The sense that I see behind:
"A creature must be played if there is one available."
is:
Whether there is/there is not one creature available may be determined when the top seven cards of play deck is already revealed.
What happens next is not a revealing of already revealed.
CDavis7M

I think there is a difference. And of course the revealed character is not actually "in play" even if they are being played with by the player. And of course, Glorfindel can come back from the dead anyway.

Here is another interesting bit. Though the "influence checks may change this" actually goes back to METW Limited, and as I mentioned, MELE has some word changes as far as eliminated characters and the unique rules, and the inactive out of play pile, etc.

And MELE Limited did not have all sorts of annotations and clarifications, so maybe this "influence checks may change this" was sort of a clarification on how revealing vs playing actually worked anyway.
Influence.png
Influence.png (498.26 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 am And of course, Glorfindel can come back from the dead anyway.
How?
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:33 am
CDavis7M wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 am And of course, Glorfindel can come back from the dead anyway.
How?
It's his Special Ability from History of MIddle-earth. Manwë can send him back.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

If a card states that it is "unique" or that it "may not be duplicated," only one such card (or its effects) may be in play at
a time. The first card played takes precedence (influence checks may change this).
Underlines mine.

During influence attempt against opponent's character or resource a revealed non-item card has effect of nullifying a value against which influence check is made.
Even if not being in play.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”