Curiosity: Long Dark Reach (normally vs otherwise)

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

A company containing fallen Gandalf moves to Beorn's House. Beorn's House is under effect of New Moon and is treated as [-me_bh-]. The company is moving through [-me_wi-].
LDR has been played and it resolved. Only revealed creature is Beorning Toll.
According to the text of Beorning Toll, the creature may not be played against a company containing a character with Beorn's House as a home site.
Fallen Gandalf has home site "Any Free-hold". Beorn's House is normally [-me_fh-]. Currently it is (treated as) [-me_bh-].

In current situation Beorning Toll could be played against the company, but the text of LDR checks for something else.
"If the creature could not normally be played on the company, modify its prowess by -4."
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
meaglyn

I always thought that "any <site type>" as a home site never counted as a specific named site. Thus Fallen Gandalf does not have a home site of Beorn's House even though he could use that as his home site.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

meaglyn wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:44 pm I always thought that "any <site type>" as a home site never counted as a specific named site.
I think so too.
meaglyn wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:44 pm Thus Fallen Gandalf does not have a home site of Beorn's House even though he could use that as his home site.
So answer depends on "who asks/what checks"?

Character has home site not only for purposes of bringing him/her into play.
Agent has home site not only for purposes of determining from where he/she can start his/her travel or where he/she is located (if not moved).

There is some stipulation regarding an ability to tap to cancel an automatic-attack at character's home site.
Lidless Eye wrote:CANCELING AN AUTOMATIC-ATTACK
A character at one of his home sites may tap to cancel one automatic-attack at that home site. This does not apply if a
character's home site is not a specific site (e.g., an Orc with an "Any Dark-hold" home site may not cancel an attack in
this fashion).
CDavis7M

Normal means as written on the card, not considering other card's effects. Note that this definition only applies to effects referring to card texts.
"Beorn's House" is written on Beorning Toll. Beorning Toll is not normally playable against a character with Beorn's House written on their card.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The scenario analogical to the scenario from 1st post is a situation where a company moves from Bree to Ruined Signal Tower on which Dragon's Desolation was played this turn. LDR has been played and is resolved. Smaug is reveled and chosen.

In current situation Smaug could be otherwise (without LDR) played against the company, but Smaug normally cannot be played keyed to Ruined Signal Tower, or to the regions, path used by the company, so Smaug suffers -4 to prowess.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”