Shelob

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
CDavis7M

I agree with Konrad but declaring all of these in one chain is not the likely gameplay scenario, and it's also not possible since Marvels Told cannot target a declared permanent event (only those resolved and in play).

Going back to the original question: "When Shelob opts to attack from a permanent-event state and the opponent plays Marvels Told in response, what happens to the attack?" -- I don't think this scenario (C) would actually happen. Instead, the player is either (A) baiting the attack from the permanent event but things go wrong or (B) Shelob is played as a creature (Marvels obviously doesn't work).

(A) If Shelob is in play and you try to bait the attack (thinking to play Old Thrush and Risky blow for a defeat), but then your opponent surprises you with Wake of War and/or Spider of the Morlat to increase the strikes, you cannot then "cancel" Shelob's attack using Marvels Told to discard the permanent-event because the permanent-event has already been discarded.

(B) If Shelob was not already in play, your opponent would play Shelob as a creature (not as an event) since Shelob declared as a permanent-event is too susceptible to being negated by Twilight or Gates, or even Marvels discarding Peril Returned.

(C) But if your company moves to Imlad Morgul and Shelob were played as a permanent-event (instead of a creature), then you as the resource player technically could demand (per ACTIONS AND CARD PLAY) to declare Marvels Told as the first effect in the chain immediately following the chain in which the Shelob as a permanent-event resolved. In which case the hazard player could not declare an attack from the Shelob permanent-event in response to Marvels per annotation 15. But this scenario as a misstep -- the hazard player should have played Shelob as a creature in the first place. I guess the hazard player could be trying to bait Twilight in order to play Foul Fumes if there's no Ranger? And also, this seems to be the only gameplay scenario where the resource player demanding the declare the first action actually matters?

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”