Beginning/End of phase & turn non-ABP/AEP passive actions

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Theo

In light of the CoE 2018 ARV: Beginning/End of phase & turn resolution, the restrictions are placed on actions declared in response to ABP/AEP. Some passive conditions may be non-ABP/AEP and still be triggered by situations that occur during the beginnings/ends of phases/turns as defined by the resolution. The resolution does not seem to place restrictions on the types of actions that may be declared by players in response to such non-ABP/AEP actions.

Are there (or should there be) restrictions on responding to non-ABP/AEP actions during the beginnings/ends of phases/turns?

I appreciated the conceptual motivation for the resolution, but it seems like it cannot be upheld by the current wording alone, and needs a lot more Cautious Skill to cover fully.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

It seems like this proposal causes more problems than it solves. There is no example gameplay situation where this "rule" is needed. I'll wait another 2 years and see if anyone finds it helpful.

more discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3339

and the vote was based on this:
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
CRF wrote:End (at the end of...)
When an action specifies it must be taken at the end of a phase no actions may be taken after it in that phase that do not also specify that they must be taken at the end of said phase.
This ruling is quote as coming from the CRF but it is not from ICE's CRF. It's from the meccg.net CRF. It is supposedly a CoE ruling from before the server crashed but the only record of this ruling is one maintained by a person that was expelled from the CoE. And this "ruling" is indicated as "haven't even been reviewed yet."

Seems like a dubious source.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:35 am Are there (or should there be) restrictions on responding to non-ABP/AEP actions during the beginnings/ends of phases/turns?
There is novelty for the proposal, that tried to address the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4095

But now I see that it is not sufficient. I will try to improve it in dedicated thread.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 am There is no example gameplay situation where this "rule" is needed.
If someone believes that end of turn period (or point?) happens when site of origin is removed from play surface/hand size is reconciled, then there is no example gameplay situation for him.

Others may want to know whether it is possible to play e.g. Hundreds of Butterflies in response/ after ccs caused by Lure of Nature. Alone and Unadvised, or whether it is possible to take advantage of HL increased by Hundreds of Butterflies.
And if it is possible why for the heck the period is still called end of phase.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:00 am And if it is possible why for the heck the period is still called end of phase.
The phase is a period. The end of a period cannot be another period. The end of a period is a single point in "game time."
Theo

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 am
Theo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:35 am Are there (or should there be) restrictions on responding to non-ABP/AEP actions during the beginnings/ends of phases/turns?
There is novelty for the proposal, that tried to address the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4095

But now I see that it is not sufficient. I will try to improve it in dedicated thread.
Ah right, I had lost track of that thread. I'll take further discussion there. It seems like at least as of now there is only a restriction in responding to non-ABP, not to non-AEP.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”