Off to the sideness of creature

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Dark Minions: Bring Our Curses Home
Hazard: Permanent-event

Corruption. Playable on a non-Wizard character whose company is facing a hazard creature attack. Discard this card if no character is eliminated by the attack. If any character is eliminated, place creature's card with this card-creature is considered off to the side. Target character's company faces an attack from creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase if creature is playable. Discard associated creature's card if this card is discarded. Discard this card if associated creature is defeated.
Dark Minions: Foes Shall Fall
Hazard: Permanent-event

Corruption. Playable on a non-Wizard character facing a strike from a Dragon or Drake hazard creature attack. If the strike is defeated, discard this card. If the strike is not defeated, place creature's card with Foes Shall Fall-creature is considered off to the side. Target character's company faces an attack from creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase if creature is playable. Discard associated creature's card if Foes shall Fall is discarded. Discard Foes Shall Fall if attached Dragon or Drake is defeated. If targeted character is a Dwarf, he receives 2 corruption points.
Target character's company faces an attack from creature. But does it mean that the creature cease to be off to the side at the time?
If no then the creature is immune to Ready to His Will and Memories of Old Torture.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

I see no reason the creature would cease to be off to the side and agree that Ready to His Will and Memories of Old Torture could not target it. (I'm ignoring the extra "attack" in the play-ability requirements of Memories of Old Torture, since I don't see how an attack can have multiple attacks.)
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

This also mean that such creature is immune to Forewarned is Forearmed.
CDavis7M

Theo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 am I see no reason the creature would cease to be off to the side and agree that Ready to His Will and Memories of Old Torture could not target it. (I'm ignoring the extra "attack" in the play-ability requirements of Memories of Old Torture, since I don't see how an attack can have multiple attacks.)
"Its" in Memories of Old Torture references the hazard creature, not the hazard creature attack -- "the creature." And Memories of Old Torture targets the attack, not the creature card since it states "Playable on a Man, Drake, Orc, Troll, or Giant hazard creature attack." Because of this, the action of playing the Memories of Old Torture card actually CAN target the attack from the off-to-the-side creature played with BOCH or FSF, just as other cards can target such attacks (e.g., cancellation, prowess modification, etc).

The Off to the Side rules state: "Any such card absolutely cannot be targeted or otherwise affected by the game except by cards that specifically affect cards placed 'off to the side.'"

The effect "All attacks of the creature are canceled" in Memories of Old Torture does not target or affect the creature card placed off to the side. So it could take effect.
The effect "The creature becomes an ally under the control of any character in the company" in Memories of Old Torture would affect the creature card placed off to the side. So it would not take effect.

----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:02 am This also mean that such creature is immune to Forewarned is Forearmed.
Yes. Forewarned is Forearmed cannot affect the attacks of a creature card that is placed off to the side. This is because reducing attacks affects the card creating the attacks, not the attacks themselves.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Balrog specific. Playable on a Man, Drake, Orc, Troll, or Giant hazard creature attack with one strike for each of its attacks. All attacks of the creature are canceled.

An attack with one strike for each of its attacks.

Curious.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 pm Balrog specific. Playable on a Man, Drake, Orc, Troll, or Giant hazard creature attack with one strike for each of its attacks. All attacks of the creature are canceled.

Curious.
See:
CDavis7M wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:59 pm "Its" in Memories of Old Torture references the hazard creature, not the hazard creature attack -- "the creature."
"Hazard creature attack" just means an attack of a hazard creature. There are other examples of "hazard creature attack" being the antecedent of "the creature."
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

OK, OK...

is not your concept, CDavis7M . I am not accusing you for that.

Just yet another reason to be vigilant while reading texts of ICE.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:41 pm OK, OK...

is not your concept, CDavis7M . I am not accusing you for that.

Just yet another reason to be vigilant while reading texts of ICE.
The card text does not state An attack with one strike for each of its attacks.. That's not ICE's concept. ICE's concept is a "hazard creature attack with one strike for each of its attacks". A hazard creature attack is an attack from a hazard creature. This is normal use of English. It is the hazard creature that has one strike for each of its attacks, not the attack. Perhaps it could be worded differently, but then it would be less consistently with other card texts. And there is only one interpretation that makes sense.

But yes, reading carefully is important.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The Balrog: Memories of Old Torture
R Resource: Permanent-event

Balrog specific. Playable on a Man, Drake, Orc, Troll, or Giant hazard creature attack with one strike for each of its attacks. All attacks of the creature are canceled. The creature becomes an ally under the control of any character in the company. The character need not tap. The ally has a mind of 1, body of 7, and prowess equal to its normal prowess minus 7. It gives one ally Marshaling point. Discard this card and the ally if the company moves through a [-me_fd-] or a [-me_dd-] .
Hazard creature with one strike for each of its attacks. makes a sense.
Hazard creature attack with one strike for each of its attacks. makes a little sense.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”