Interaction of Fog and Morgul Night

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Beezertheturnip

My apologies if this has been asked somewhere else. I gave a cursory search of the site before asking, but didn't find anything, but that was admittedly a cursory search.

Anyway, my brother and I went back to our parents house to visit for Thanksgiving and help get things ready the weekend before everyone turns up. While cleaning up the attic we found an old hoard of cards for the game and that brought back a wave of nostalgia, so we tried to play again for what must be the first time in 15 years. So neither of us were that great with the rules after reading through the book again.

Anyway, onto what happened. My brother had played Doors of night a few turns back, and it had hung around. During the Long Event phase, I play fog to treat most of the map as wilderness. Dan, during the movement/hazard phase, plays Morgul Night, which then treats wilderness as Shadow Lands. We were utterly confused at that point, and decided for the purposes of the game that the two should cancel each other out where appropriate, but I was wondering what the official rule was about it, since at least a basic reading of the cards in question seemed to indicate to me that you'd be stuck in an infinite recursion, treating the same land as a wilderness and then a shadow land and back again forever.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

First:
Fog can be played only if Gates of Morning is in play. If Doors of Night is in play it may be done only if Fog is played with Crown of Flowers (that must be in play before declaration of Fog).

The situation is regulated by Annotation 26.
CRF wrote:Annotation 26: If at the start of a player's movement/hazard phase, there are multiple
effects in play such that their net effect depends on the order they are applied, the
player who is currently not taking his turn (i.e., the hazard player) decides the order in
which they are to be applied. Once this interpretation is established, all further actions
are applied in the order they are resolved for the rest of the turn.
In your scenario Morgul Night and Fog are not in play together at the start of a player's movement/hazard phase. So effect of Fog is applied then effect of Morgul Night is applied.
There will be no [-me_bl-] and no [-me_wi-] in play, but much of [-me_sl-] instead.
There is no recursion. If there would be a recursion then Fog alone would recursively cause treating all non- [-me_cs-] region symbols as [-me_wi-].
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm There will be no [-me_bl-] and no [-me_wi-] in play, but much of [-me_sl-] instead.
"There will be no [-me_fd-] and no [-me_wi-] in play, but much of [-me_sl-] instead."
is correct version.

Sorry.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Beezertheturnip

Well thank you very much for the quick and clear reply. I had figured user error was the source of it.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”