"make Information playable" vs "nothing is considered playable as written on site"

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Applies in practice to:

A Panoply of Wings vs Mischief in a Mean Way (or other Wizardhaven making card)

Player may discard A Panoply of Wings to make Information playable at hero Bree then, in the same turn, may play Mischief in a Mean Way on Bree.
Nothing is normally playable as written on site at hero Bree.

But if to divide resources playable at site on two categories:

- playable as written on site card,
- playable as written on resource card.

the resources that require a site where Information is playable belong to the first category.

So discarding A Panoply of Wings makes Information considered playable as written on site (albeit it is not actually written on physical site card) and Wizardhaven making card removes the effect.

Comments are welcome.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

I have considered this before as well. I have a different opinion. Specifically:
So discarding A Panoply of Wings makes Information considered playable as written on site
I would say no. Discarding makes information playable at the site (following language of Panoply). I know of no resources that require "information to be playable as written on a site". There are resources that require a site where information is playable (for whatever reason).

Conclusion: Mischief in a Mean Way does not remove Panoply's effect, because Panoply's effect is not "written on the site". Resources requiring information at a site can still be satisfied by Panoply's effect.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by: "But if to divide resources playable at site on two categories:"?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hypothetical effect that makes major item playable at site would not make "Playable: major item" printed on physical Bree site card.
However no major item card's text checks for "Playable: major item" in site card's text.
For major items it is expected that "Playable: major item" is provided by text of site card.

"Playable: Information" provided by text of site card is also expected by some resource events. But it is stated in text of such events, because resource events by default do not make a check for what is playable on site.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

No resources require Information as written on the site card.
MELE wrote:3. If the site is untapped, a character in the company may attempt to play an item, ally, or faction that is "playable" at that site. Tap the character and the site.

Certain resource cards other than items, allies, and factions are playable during the site phase and state the conditions under which they may be played. Such a card only requires an untapped site if it states that the site taps when played.
Since non-item/ally/faction resources state the conditions under which they made be played, for a resource to require such, it would either need to say "a site where information is normally playable" or "a site where information is playable as written on the site card." I don't recall any that do so.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

"playable at such a site" vs "as written" vs "playable as if written on the site" ?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Indisputable thing is that nothing is printed in part "Playable:" on physical hero Bree card; even phrase "Playable:" is not printed.

My (disputable) notion is that information whether information, gold ring, greater, major, minor items are playable at site is provided by the site.

Sapling of the White Tree states that it is not playable at [-me_sh-] or [-me_dh-].
The part of playability conditions is provided by text of resource, but whether major item is playable at site is provided by site.

Indisputably (again) no effect in game will cause that something new will be printed on physical site card.

Some effects however may cause that things written on site (card - the effects do not use this word) as playable are not considered playable.

My hypothesis is that effects like discarding of A Panoply of Wings actually add information to the list of things (considered as) playable as written on site card.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I don't think there's any basis for such an interpretation.

Magic Ring of X does not add to the character card text. A character with two Magic Rings of Courage would become a Warrior with one and get the bonus with the other, but in neither case is that taken as an alteration to text.

I do not know why Panoply would alter the text of the card rather than simply add an attribute that bypasses the text.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

This discussion seems moot as the given situation should never occur. (Player discards Panoply, forgets to play their information resource, and then plays Mischief.)

Or is the original post premised on the fact that the text of Panoply does not include a duration for the effect?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm Or is the original post premised on the fact that the text of Panoply does not include a duration for the effect?
No.
CDavis7M

My opponents will let me do simple takesies-backsies. Yours aren't so kind?

Better grab coffee on your way to the table.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:19 pm Better grab coffee on your way to the table.
Better than nothing... if you do not have an access to the Liquid Fire.
Theo

CDavis7M wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm This discussion seems moot as the given situation should never occur. (Player discards Panoply, forgets to play their information resource, and then plays Mischief.)
Replace Mischief in a Mean Way with Hidden Haven (which must be played during the Organization phase) as a way to avoid the automatic attack (and hazard creature attacks).
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”