Healing Herbs

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

Healing Herbs wrote:The bearer can tap and discard this item to heal a character in his company,
changing the character's status from wounded to well and untapped.
Alternatively, the bearer can tap and discard this item to untap a character
that is not wounded.
Does the target of the second effect must be in the bearer's company?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

No.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Hoo boy, this game just keeps on getting weirder and weirder . . .
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

So Healing Herbs is the new Cram...

This rereading of cards is being fun :lol:
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm more of a rules rereader myself. :)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Rulings by Term, Targets wrote:You cannot target an opponent's character or resources with your own resources.
Discarding (also tapping) a resource X to make action Y on entity Z is not targeting Z with X.
Muad'Dib

Its amazing how this game is going to be broken after 20 years since was published. This is the reason why less and less people want to play it.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Muad'Dib wrote:Its amazing how this game is going to be broken after 20 years since was published. This is the reason why less and less people want to play it.
I agree. And this is one reason why the CoE must be restarted, to clean up the rules mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Council is about 2 activ players , Who already said their main focus would be new Dream card sets, we accomplish a Lot on GCCG you People just Do not want to see or appreciate it.

So shout out to the 7 other members or would be members to step up their game
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Just don't do it to the NetRep, or he'll hide the NetRep board from the general public and the CoE. :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote:
CRF, Rulings by Term, Targets wrote:You cannot target an opponent's character or resources with your own resources.
Discarding (also tapping) a resource X to make action Y on entity Z is not targeting Z with X.
Can you explain this in further detail? I think I see what you're saying, but I want to be sure.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Tapping Gollum (X) to discard (Y) the Gollum and The One Ring at the same site (Z).

Z (Gollum and The One Ring at the same site) are not targets of X (Gollum).
Z (Gollum and The One Ring at the same site) are targets of Y (action "discard").
Z (Gollum and The One Ring at the same site) and X (tapping Gollum) are conditions of Y (discard); target of an action is also one of conditions of the action.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Only resources that may have a target(s) are resource short-events and resource permanent-events.

So:
CRF, Errata (Rules) wrote:White Hand Rules, Playing and Using Resource, Targeting Site and Resource Cards:
change both instances of "resource card may not target/affect" to "resource event card
may not target/affect."
is actually cosmetic (at least until a new type of resources will appear).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

:oops:
It is not cosmetic. That rule and errata for it also cover affecting, not only targeting.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Muad'Dib writes:
Its amazing how this game is going to be broken after 20 years since was published. This is the reason why less and less people want to play it.
That's a very in-depth analysis of the situation :wink: It's a bit more complicated than that, but the frustration is understandable. In fact, some people (as this board attests) definitely LIVE to find loopholes in our game to exploit and to find an edge over other players, so you might say the level of complexity of meccg is what keeps it interesting for them.

In the case of Healing Herbs, one can (and should) read "alternatively" not as constituting a whole new set of properties for the card, but one building on the previous sentence. Otherwise the "that is not wounded" would be totally redundant.
This is perfectly acceptable when it concerns playability requirements, for example,
Darkness Wielded writes:
Playable on an attack against The Balrog's company if Great Shadow is in play. The attack receives -2 prowess....Alternatively, cancel this attack and a latter attack.
Clearly you cannot use the cancelling ability on The Balrog if he's not in Great Shadow.

So why can't the alternative on Healing Herbs build on the previous effect? Perhaps it could have been phrased differently or more clearly, but I don't see this as problematic. We do it in DC cards as well.
Raised Again writes:
Ritual. Tap a sage to untap an item in his company. Alternatively, if the item has a skill-specific use, any character in the company with that skill may tap to untap the item.
That being said, if people strictly argue the case that the "alternative" has nothing to do with the first ability, an official clarification should be possible. Don't want to sit on the NetRep's chair, but doesn't seem that difficult to me.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”