Influence: Wizard-Ringwraith

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Maethmaenor

Hello:

In case of an influence attempt against a character (or other) of the opponent:
METW wrote:Influencing an Opponent’s Character
To attempt to influence one of your opponent’s non-Wizard characters you must make an influence check. You make a roll (2D6) and: ...
(outlined mine, in Konrad style :D )

and, for other possibilities (follower, ally, item), one can read
METW wrote:...To influence an opponent's X, you must make an influence check as outlined above...
So I understand I can't influence wizards nor wizard's followers, allies or items.

MELE summarizes that in a note:
MELE wrote:Note: An influence check can never be made against your Ringwraith, a Ringwraith follower, an ally controlled by your Ringwraith, or an item controlled by your Ringwraith.
what should be equivalent to the aforementioned.

But I can read in the Universal Rule Document:
URD wrote:You may not make influence attempts against cards an avatar controls. (MEBA 17)
● Oh, yes you can. (CoE 35) The game summary is just that a
summary, not
new rules, which are clearly delineated. Therefore, the MELE rules will take
precedence over the MEBA game summary, but not over the new rules presented in the
MEBA booklet. (CoE 35)
I have never played Balrog, so maybe I am missing something, but I can't understand what this "oh, yes you can" if I understand the METW and MELE ruling. The oldest ruling digest that I keep is number 70 (year 2004) so I don't have the complete text.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's possible I missed something in a later digest; contact the NetRep to have him update the URD if a later ruling was made that overturns 35.

To answer your question:

The METW rule you quoted refers to non-Wizard characters.

Followers are non-Wizard characters and may therefore be influenced. Ditto allies.

Regarding MELE: A Ringwraith follower is not the same thing as a follower controlled by your Ringwraith. Ringwraith followers can obviously never be influenced, as they have no mind value to roll against.

Though it's neat to note that we have a disparity here where the rules allowed allies to be influenced away from Wizards and Fallen-Wizards, but not your Ringwraith (though you could still influence away an ally controlled by a Ringwraith follower).

Don't worry; this mess still isn't as bad as passive conditions in general. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Rulings Digest 117 wrote:3. A question has arisen concerning what resources a player may legally attempt to influence away from his opponent. METW, MELE, and MEBA rules books seem to disagree on the scope of what a player may influence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may not attempt to influence away any of the following from your opponent: his avatar, an ally controlled by his avatar, an item controlled by his avatar, or a follower of his avatar.
Maethmaenor

Bandobras Took wrote: To answer your question:

The METW rule you quoted refers to non-Wizard characters.

Followers are non-Wizard characters and may therefore be influenced. Ditto allies.
Ok, but what I meant was that this follower was not a wizard's follower. But now that I better think, the rule don't say that clearly. So it should be different as MELE.

The text cited by Shapeshifter should be clearer. I searched in my old mails now and I found this digest 117 from 26/03/2007. Thank you!

May I ask here how to contact the NetRep in order to ask for an update in the URD, is that a specific user of NetRep team, or how is that conducted? Until I know, Bandobras updates the URD no more.

Thank you!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Mikko (miguel) is the current NetRep and usually answers PMs from this forum. He's listed as a separate moderator of the NetRep's corner.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
bosquet

Do we know now if it is possible to influence an avatar's follower? ...and an ally? ...an item? Unfortunatly rules don't clearify my doubts; or at least, I'm not able to see the light..!
Thanks in advance.
Theo

As in CoE #117, nothing controlled by the avatar can be influenced.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

This is a newer rule from ICE (challenge deck and balrog)
Screenshot_20200412-115209~2.png
Screenshot_20200412-115209~2.png (316.83 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”