Star of High Hope Duplication?

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Garriath

Howdy, all,

An idea came to my head for a new deck, and it seems a little too good to be true, so I'd like to know if it's as legal as I think it is.

Accepting that:
-Unlike Sun, Star of High Hope can be duplicated
-No erratum that I can find suggests that Echo of All Joy can't be duplicated on multiple copies of a single card

M deck would include 3 copies of Star of High Hope and 3 copies of Echo of all Joy, with the aim of keeping as many Stars of High Hope in play as possible (with a Dunadan-Elf focused company.) Assuming the player can keep Doors of Night out of play, and Gates of Morning in, if he manages to get all three Stars of High Hope in, then Anborn and Damrod become as powerful as Glorfindel, Aragorn can comfortably face Nazgul, and Glorfindel defaults to, um, 14 prowess, where he can eat Balrogs and dragons without even needing to tap. Add in a few fellowships, and...

Granted, this is all dependent on preventing your enemy from playing Doors of Night, but if you're both Gates of Morning-focused, that wouldn't even be an issue. Adding in a couple of Crowns of Flowers would make the build even safer.

What I'm wondering is, well, is this legal? Anything that can get a character to 14 prowess stinks heavily of cheese to me, but I can't quite figure why it wouldn't work...

Thanks in advance!
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

It's all legal. A single Doors and all is gone at once, though.
Muzgash

Also, resource long-events, unfortunately, can only be played during the long-events phase. That limits their utility considerably.
Mordakai
Council Member

You can only play one each turn, but it's perfectly legal. I've seen that kind of bould but with A Short Rest instead. Quite cheesy, may I add... :x but effective
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Mordakai wrote:You can only play one each turn
Why is that?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote:
Why is that?
As far as I know, only one long event resource can be played during the long-event phase... :roll:

hmmm, interesting, In the spanish ruleset i have with me it says, not only that, but only one long-event hazard per m/h phase also... never heard about that before, I'll check the english version of the ruleset
Mordakai
Council Member

Mordakai wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:
Why is that?
As far as I know, only one long event resource can be played during the long-event phase... :roll:

hmmm, interesting, In the spanish ruleset i have with me it says, not only that, but only one long-event hazard per m/h phase also... never heard about that before, I'll check the english version of the ruleset
Hmmm again, this is what I found:

You may only play a resource long-event during your long-event phase. [...]
You may only play a hazard long-event during your opponent’s movement/hazard phase. [...]

So I supose the guy that translated it thought that "a" equals to "one", but this other quote of the ruleset makes me think that it is not the correct sense of that phrase:

Long-event Phase
First, remove all of your resource long-events in play.
Then, you may play any new resource long-event cards.
Finally, remove all of your opponent’s hazard long-events.

So if I add this two quotes to your direct and mercyless Why is that?, I'm now quite convinced that you can play as many long-event resources as you want in the long-event phase :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the tip, this kind of mistranslations can lead to very stablished wrong playing, you know...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That explains it, all right. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

that kind of deck is very popular, but it has a LOT of weak points.

1- DoN + twilight
2- Seized by terror (discards fellowships, which then makes you vulnerable to corruption)
3- Many sorrows befall (discards long events)
4- Diminish and depart + call of home/ muster disperses.

As you can see most of its weak spots aren't creature based, so having a lot of prowess isn't always as great as it might seem...
Anyways, its one of my favorite hero strategies :lol:

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”