Rescue Prisoners

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
traemyn

I am looking through the Alatar Challenge deck and Rescue Prisoners seems like a bad card due to its restrictions.

List of each (let me know if I am wrong)

1. Dark-hold/ shadow-hold that is tapped(!)
2. Auto attack, easy but can opponent play a card to modify it?
3. The wording is confusing. Do I need to tap a hero during the actual attack?
4. Hero can't untap until stored. Does this prevent Cram from working (I assume yes)?

I would love to get some veteran player thoughts/comments on this card.

Thanks
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

1. "that is tapped" may be advantage of the card.
This means that a company may play Rescue Prisoners after playing a resource that taps the site, in the same, or in next site phase.

2. If you mean the Spider attack specified on the card, it is not an automatic-attack. It can be modified by effects of resources, or hazards.
However at the point when RP is being played there is no condition to reveal on-guard hazard.

3. After attack.

4. Make it ineffectual.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
kober

Rescue Prisoners wrote:Playable at an already tapped [-me_dh-] or [-me_sh-] during the site phase. The company faces a spider attack (2 strikes with 7 prowess). If no characters are untapped after the attack, discard Rescue Prisoners. Otherwise, you may tap 1 character in the company and put Rescue Prisoners under his control. That character may not untap until Rescue Prisoners is stored at a [-me_ha-], [-me_bh-], or [-me_fh-] during his organization phase. You receive the marshalling points for this card only when it is stored. Cannot be duplicated at a given site.
What is the spider attack keyed to? Is it keyed to the site?
Theo

CRF wrote:Attacks created by events are not keyed to anything unless specifically stated as being keyed to something on the card.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
kober

Thanks!

Now, this might not be the place for the following question, since Protecting Their Domain is a Dream Card, but would the Rescue Prisoner's spiders receive +2 prowess from PTD? The spiders are not keyed to anything, but is "an attack keyed to a site" synonymous with "an attack at a site" ?
Protecting Their Domain wrote:All creature attacks keyed to Wilderness [W] or Jungle [J] receive -1 prowess. All Animal, Spider, and Awakened Plant attacks receive +1 prowess (+2 prowess if not at a site). Discard if an Animal, Spider, or Awakened Plant attack is defeated. Cannot be duplicated.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Against the Shadow: Drughu
Resource: Short-event

Playable on a hero company during your organization phase if you discard a ranger character from your hand. All characters in the company this turn receive +2 prowess against attacks keyed to [-me_wi-] and during combat at [-me_rl-] . "Each company was guided by a wild woodman...the thickets offered to the Riders their last hope of cover before they went into open battle."-LotRV
So combat may be considered as being proceeded at site, Presumably also attack of company in CvCC is considered as being proceeded at site, although not keyed to anything.

So no. The Rescue Prisoner's spiders did not receive +2 prowess from PTD.
The Rescue Prisoner's spiders attack is not keyed to anything, but is being proceeded at site.
CRF, Turn Sequence, Movement/Hazard Phase, Playing Hazards wrote:A creature "played at" a site is the same as being "keyed to" the site.
If by "not at a site" the author of Protecting Their Domain did mean "not played at site"/"not keyed at site" then he failed to express it correctly. Instead he wrote something that may be interpreted as "not being proceeded at site".
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”